cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Feral cat in 5er

Mtn_Mike1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a fiver but my friend has a Jayco 32' and somehow a cat got into the substructure and is between the floor and the lower part of the 5er.
Does anyone have any idea how to get the cat out and where the cat might have entered?
The 5er's bay doors were all closed at the time.

Thanks, Mike
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor pushed by a 2013 Mazda Miata
29 REPLIES 29

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
n7bsn wrote:
We've made the cats allies rather then pests.
Good on you!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
We have a nesting box next to the RV, and have for years and years. The feral cats sleep in it and we have -never- had mice in the rig. Nor do we have moles in the yard.

We've made the cats allies rather then pests.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
There are organizations that will trap it for him. Check with the local SPCA

That would be my option. Check to see if you have a local Spay/Neuter/Release organization. They are equipped to trap and neuter feral cats and then either try to tame them or release them. I know some folks get pretty good barn cats from these organizations.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Turn on a radio and blast some annoying music see if that will get it to leave.

This is what I done for cats and skunks around my trailer shed and barns. A light at nite can also helps.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
There are organizations that will trap it for him. Check with the local SPCA
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Turn on a radio and blast some annoying music see if that will get it to leave.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
There's no need to trap the cat unless you want to give it to your local rescue group or something. Just make your rv an undesirable nest so the cat will find another home.

First thing to try: noise. Go in the rv and jump up and down, bash some pots and pans, turn on the water, etc. Make sure there is nothing OUTSIDE the rv that would make the cat hesitant to exit. No humans watching, no dogs, etc. Dawn or dusk would be the best time, because that's when cats are awake.

Then make it unappealing to come back. Cats don't like strong plant smells. Anything menthol, mint, lemon, eucalyptus, lavender etc., scented repels them. I used some mint-based wasp spray just today as a repellant. Lemon Pledge might also be good.

Of course, if there are kittens that's different. If you scare the mom too badly she will abandon them. If you scare or annoy her just a little bit, for several days in a row, she might move them. That would be ideal. Jump on the floors twice a day for 3-4 days. Noon is a good time because that is bedtime for cats.

If you end up with a litter of kittens and no mom, keep them very warm and call cat rescue. They will find someone to bottle feed them and find good homes for them. The kittens will be tame if raised by humans.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
When using a Live Trap approved by the L.A. City Animal Services for trapping feral cats, I used the scraps from making fried chicken wings. The smell of those tips drive the cans nuts.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I disagree. Get yourself a smoker as the beekeepers use. He will exit quickly.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

babun
Explorer
Explorer
If that cat is/was in there for more than 1 day, you need to catch it and then check it to see what sex it is. If female....check it if appears to have given birth to kittens. {enlarged rear end, nipples extended, so on and so forth}. Most feral cats go into a hiding spot for birthing.
You don't want to leave 5 or 6 kittens in there to die, not just for humane reasons, but also for the smell.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Food and water. Animals are smarter than we think....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
it went in there for a reason,either food or maternal happenings.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
There must be a hole or a loose unscrewed down area on the coreplast. The trap idea will work. It might be eating mice in your unit tho
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Cats are a lot like mice! They can squeeze through just about any size or shape hole, and can ball up or stretch out and fit any space.

The live trap with some smelly food is your best bet to catch it. I will get hungry. Hopefully, it knows how to get out on it's own and won't die inside the underbelly.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
live trap with food.

If you can find where it goes in and out, put the trap nearby.

I'm guessing it got in around one of the larger penetrations through the belly covering.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board