cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fifth wheel hooking up guides

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Wife has a problem not being able to see the truck bed hitch when backing up to the kingpin. We carry a large container for inverter/generator which impairs the ability to actually see where things are at.

Is there some type of guide that some of you use which would be of benefit for her. Wife is a former skilled farmer with lots of pulling/backing experience. Frustration over this for her is high which makes for a temporary unhappy camper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dt
38 REPLIES 38

dsass
Explorer
Explorer
KeithAS wrote:
Trailer aids (magnetic poles), left over from the TT. One on center top of the pin box, one on center of the 5th wheel mounting bar. Head in the center of the head rest and watch the mirror. Perfect line up every time. When the pole is knocked over, get out and make the final height adjustment with the landing gear. Back in the last foot. Hitched.

I do the same. I get out and check it a few times to make sure I'm at the correct height. Works pretty good!

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I only had to look down one side to hook up the flat bed or the horse trailer. But I was doing it several times a week. Now I am hooking up a few times a year so I prefer to use what guides I have available. The telescopic tennis balls seem to be the easiest and fastest for me and they work for any trailer.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
I had a back up camera on my license plate frame for hooking up my TT. Since I have a tool box in the bed, I decided to move the camera to the tool box. I put white tape on hitch and center of king pin box. (This view also shows me if I forgot the tail gate!)

Someone mentioned that their dually fenders are the same width of the trailer and they line those up. So, when you are hooked up and straight with a single wheel truck, look in the side mirrors and have co-pilot add a piece of tape to the trailer in line with bed of truck on both sides. Just a thought.
2004 F350 6.0L 4x4 CC LB King Ranch, Scangauge II
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Fabguy wrote:
Tennessee_Nomad wrote:
I use my rear view mirror. I hit the king pin dead on every time.

This.

I assume you can see both the hitch and pin in the rear view mirror.

Many like my self because of a tool box can not see the hitch in the rear view mirror.

That is why I use the three markers. One on the mirror, one on the rear window and the third on the trailer in my case the pin box.

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
I glued a magnet to a wooden dowell rod. I stick it on the hitch in line with center. Then I use that to guide me.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Use your side view mirrors. How do you think semi drivers hook up to their trailers? Get close enough to the trailer, get out, look to see whether you have to adjust the height of the king pin and then back slowly into the 5er until you feel/hear the hitch close. You can use your rear view mirror in the truck as you back into the king pin, also. Get out look to make sure you are connected and that you are not high hitched. It's really not that hard.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Fabguy
Explorer
Explorer
Tennessee_Nomad wrote:

This.
Jeff

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4:10/Prodigy brake controler/Pullrite Superglide
Pulling a 2015 Keystone Cougar 280RLS

kzoocamper
Explorer
Explorer
I find the easiest way to get back to the same height as when I unhooked is to keep a china marker in the bin closest to my landing gear switch and make a mark on the landing gear where it exits the fixed housing prior to pulling out from under the fifth wheel. When I am ready to leave I return the height to this mark and am perfect every time. Just remember to use a little wd40 to clean off the marks once in awhile. It serves as a nice lubricant also. I am sure many others use this method.

I also have a cover that is hard to see over and when it's an issue I have found it much easier to let my wife back the truck in while I direct verses the other way around. She usually hits the spot first time around without any mumbling under my breath from me.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave H M wrote:
John, I just cannot bring myself to trust that Hoppy completely. ole doubtful Thomas always has to get out and look.

Never found it wrong though. :S

That's ok Dave. Never hurts to double check. I still do too, but I find I don't get out as many times. I can feel the hitch hit the pin box. Then sometimes I will get out and double check my height. Like you said, "Never found it wrong though. "
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

KeithAS
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
John, I just cannot bring myself to trust that Hoppy completely. ole doubtful Thomas always has to get out and look.

Look twice, crush once?
2010 Dodge 3500 SLT, 6.7 CTD, SRW, 4WD, SB, Auto
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't see the problem.Do like the big boys do and look in the mirrors.You will have the same space on each side of your truck bed,or in our case the hips on the dually.Remember that and your hitch height and get it set.One trip out to double check the height,and bam your hooked up.I always set my height just a touch low and let it lift some weight off the landing gear.Do a little pull and you are done.Works for me and several others that I know.YMMV
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't see my hitch because of my tonno cover. So I use a combination of yellow tape on the pin box and tonno cover and a Hoppy Level Plus.
When backing up I just align the two pieces of tape.
To use the Hoppy you adjust the smaller level before you unhitch. When you go to hitch up just adjust the up and down of the 5er with the jacks until the level reads the same as before you unhitched.

It works for me.

2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*