cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling fresh water tank before trip, good or bad?

Jerry_L
Explorer
Explorer
We're new to the RVing world and are planning on a trip to a National Park that has no water hookups. Traveling with 40 gals of water for 300 miles bad for 5th wheel trailer and truck. I have a 3500 HD, one ton Silverado. Thanks for your input. Jerry_L - SLC

Thanks to all those to replied. I was being told by 5th wheel owners in SLC, Ut., not to travel with the fresh water tanks filled. I always thought that was weird advise. I feel better knowing my idea of leaving home with a full water tank is not "weird".
37 REPLIES 37

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
Mine is in the very rear of the trailer and it is full most of the time. Holds 60 gal. I do not see it as affecting fuel mileage at all. Speed and wind affect it more.

I agree. I've towed all over the country with tanks full, empty and everything in between. Makes little or no difference in fuel economy.

Speed and wind are what effect mpg's.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is in the very rear of the trailer and it is full most of the time. Holds 60 gal. I do not see it as affecting fuel mileage at all. Speed and wind affect it more.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, thats what I get for trying to multiply 7.5 x 50 in my head! Sorry, I should have at least written it done on paper! But 375 lbs is still a lot and I could think of a dozen others things weighing that much to bring with us instead of water!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
More than just the security of having water when needed I carry water as ballast.

A TT or 5er is not much more than a box of air very suceptable to wind, especially broadside wind. The weight of water down low makes for a more stable trailer whether it is in wind or going into a corner too fast. It lowers your center of gravity & does not affect fuel milage much unless doing alot of mountain driving. On the flat once the weight is moving, it takes little effort to keep it moving unless you are one of those who like to cruise at 65 plus. Then it is air resistance, not weight that is killing your milage.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Rancher_Will
Explorer
Explorer
For over 55 years, with 5 RV's, we have always filled our Fresh Water Tank before leaving home on our ranch. Our ranch well water is pure, without Chlorine, other chemicals that may be found incampground hookups, city water, other unknown water sources as we travel. We alsways use our own well water for drinking, coffee making, etc.

In campgrounds We often hook to the local water connection for showers, washing dishes (using our soap and washing liquid, toilets, plus at dumping stations in campgrounds, etc., I hook to the local water outlet to rinse the holding tanks and drain hoses. We have a sanitary hose hookup to use just for rinsing the holding tanks and drains.

zedd
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:
... 50 gallons of water weighs 750 lbs. ...

Uh, no...water weighs a little more than 8lb/gal so 50 gal would be about 400 lb. Not trivial but quite a bit less than 750.
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, Lariat, 6.4l PSD, Super Cab. Long Bed
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 RLS Fifth Wheel

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
We have been camping for 10 years, I know that does not automatically make me an expert, but here is my opinion. One, if you use your tank for drinking water, you need to sanatise it correctly, failing to do so may expouse you to serious illness or wourse. We allways travel with bottled water for drinking, no problems with taste or other problems! Two you need at least some water in your tank for flushing and washing. We always carry at least 10 gallons as we travel. We usually do not dry camp, so getting water at the destination is not a problem. If you dry camp check first about getting fresh water first before you go! Internet, phone ect. If not available at the destination, somewhere close is an option. 50 gallons of water weighs 750 lbs. that is a lot of weight to be hauling around. Save the gas millage, or consider 750 lbs. of other stuff to haul with you instead of water?

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
5er, we carry about 10 gallons
The motor-home, we carry 40 gallons since we can stop anywhere for overnights.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years 🙂

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We always travel with water. When the water is out at a campground, we always have water available.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We drycamp 99% of the time, rarely stay at locations with hookups.

So our water tank is always filled before we leave home and then filled as we need it, usually at the same time we're dumping the tanks.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Jerry_L wrote:
We're new to the RVing world and are planning on a trip to a National Park that has no water hookups. Traveling with 40 gals of water for 300 miles bad for 5th wheel trailer and truck. I have a 3500 HD, one ton Silverado. Thanks for your input. Jerry_L - SLC

Thanks to all those to replied. I was being told by 5th wheel owners in SLC, Ut., not to travel with the fresh water tanks filled. I always thought that was weird advise. I feel better knowing my idea of leaving home with a full water tank is not "weird".

Personally, I travel with a minimum of water on the road, maybe 10 gallons. We do a family boondocker every year up in the mountains. Why carry an extra 350 lbs up several thousand vertical feet if I don't have to. I've got a spot about 30 miles from our camp where I can water down, including 2 7 gal jerry cans. Costs me $5 and the water is =much= better tasting than our city water, even if we only brush our teeth with it. 🙂 If I know I'm going to an area with a water hookup, then no need to carry water; if I'm not sure, then I'll carry more than I usually do, but not a full load. Again, that's the way I do it; YMMV...

As others have said, having a full tank can help with ride, especially if you're otherwise traveling light. Also, if you know you're going to be running through windy conditions, especially crosswinds, having a bit of weight in =all= your tanks, helps to lower the CG of your FW for stability. That, and running slower.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Started keeping at least 3/4 full tow smoother! I don't worry about the extra weight as I am over GVWR already. What is a few more pounds on the pin still well under rear GAWR.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
Full-up to overflowing before the TV goes into D (tow/haul).

Ever' tAHM.

🙂

DrTanTodd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very seldom do we travel full. Usually almost empty. The tanks are in the front of my camper now and that adds to my pin weight with 87 gallons .
Todd and Dawn
Maddy and Nugget the Cats
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 31 RETS