cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freeze Proof Heated Water Hose,

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone here used one. How well do they work? At what Temperature do they fail?
God Bless!
17 REPLIES 17

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
Surely I'm not the only one who thinks combining water and 120V is a bad idea? I've lost friends that way...

RoyB wrote:
Must be something like this one from google search - Never played with one.. Looks like you just plug it into 120VAC... Cost is $120

Roy Ken
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
A good deal of what will freeze on the pedestal involves the freeze line in the area. In our area, for instance, the ground freezes to four feet below grade, so just attaching a heated hose is guaranteed to result in a frozen pedestal during the winter.

In case you're wondering, building codes in areas such as ours require so-called freeze-proof faucets and hydrants, imaged below. However, note that you cannot leave a hose attached to these faucets/hydrants when it's freezing.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
moonlightrunner wrote:
My homemade heated hose has excess pipe tape hanging out expressly to wrap the pipe stand hose bibb with and I use Reflectix on the pipe stand. It is used fulltime and I do stay in freezing temps.

That ought to work:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
My homemade heated hose has excess pipe tape hanging out expressly to wrap the pipe stand hose bibb with and I use Reflectix on the pipe stand. It is used fulltime and I do stay in freezing temps.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
Couple days ago in High Point, NC. Neighbor had one. Temps dropped to 3*. His hose was fine. But stand pipe and faucet froze. He was out of business. Same as me. But my everyday old hose didn't freeze. I removed it and took it in overnight.

Think some aren't understanding this...The heated hose can work fine, BUT, if the water supply freezes, what good is the heated hose going to do for you? Our water faucet at our campsite in WV sets about 2' above ground. I had an extra heavy duty plastic bag, wrapped the pipe coming out of the ground, spigot, pressure regulator, everything in insulation, taped it up, then put the plastic bag over everything and taped it tight as low to the ground as I could....got down below zero with wind chill, no frozen pipe and again, water hose ONLY had the hose insulation you can buy 6' for about $2 each.....

Those heated hoses WON'T keep water supply line feeding the heated hose from freezing.

heat tape wrapped around the pipe coming out of ground might help, but I had to improvise at the last minute when we found out we had an Arctic freeze coming through
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Just tested our Pirit heated hose down to -6...worked perfectly!
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

tnclays
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a trip to southern Ohio where a colleague is full-timing and the "polar vortex" had temps in the -10 range and a high of 2 during the day. He had to get the 50-footer and said it worked great. He did have to heat tape the CG water stand to keep it going, but no problems with the hose.

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
I have the pirit heated water hose. 80$ and we have used it down to -8 degrees with no problem. Wrap the hose connection where it connects to the trailer, and where it connects at ground level add heat tape and cover. Should have no problem.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Couple days ago in High Point, NC. Neighbor had one. Temps dropped to 3*. His hose was fine. But stand pipe and faucet froze. He was out of business. Same as me. But my everyday old hose didn't freeze. I removed it and took it in overnight.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
DISREGARD - Found you can order a stick-on ULTRA-HEAT 12VDC strip for the bottom of my 35 Gallon fresh water tank...

#########

How does one freeze proof the fresh water tank on a POPUP. Mine is out in the open sitting up around the large frame and floor. When it gets down to freezing I usually just drain it and blow out the water lines in my off-road POPUP. Then use bottled fresh water I brought along. My 5th wheel is covered on the bottom and has a couple of heat switches for the tanks.

What is the process to keep the POPUP PVC fresh water tank usable when the temps drops below freezing.

I suspect their is a heated cover you put around the tank or maybe wrap some heated lines around the tank???

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Cold enough to freeze water hose I always run off fresh water tank and on-board pump.

If my hose can freeze.......will the water supply freeze also??

yep, guess it could, but we were fortunate and pedestal didn't freeze ...I don't see how my cheap little set up worked, setting out in the zero degree temps with a wind chill around -5 or so and I paid about $15 for my hose insulation and outside faucet cover.... ( water dripping out of a faucet inside the rv is the key:))
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cold enough to freeze water hose I always run off fresh water tank and on-board pump.

If my hose can freeze.......will the water supply freeze also??
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Home-made version, heat tape and pipe insulation. Used three winters, laid in/under snow temps to -7 and did not freeze. Total cost not including hose about 30 dollars.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Trail-Mate
Explorer
Explorer
I could have made my own but this season instead of running off the fresh water tank and refilling. I bought a Pirit heated hose, Can say its worked down to zero or below so far this season, very happy to have it its been great. Pirit says theirs is tested to -40, been below freezing most nights and many days where I am since 1st week of December. I know of 2 other in the same park as I that are also using Pirit hoses.
1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!