cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Landing Gear Issue

soonernation
Explorer
Explorer
When I took my trailer in a couple of months ago to get the "end of warranty" issues resolved, I noted to them that one of the front landing gear motors was making a noise that the other one was not making. The motor was clicking as it raised or lowered the leg. They said it was normal for the motor to ride the shaft and not be attached to the actual leg.

After returning from our trip this weekend, the motor is making all kinds of racket as the leg lowers or raises. I don't believe it is actually the motor as it sounds more like the gearing in the top of the leg. Have any of you had to have one of these legs replaced? If so how much is it? Should I go back to the dealer for them to fix it even though it is out of warranty but was noted as an issue on my last visit?
2013 Voltage 3200 Epic Full Paint
2014 Ford F350 DRW
2013 Yamaha Zuma 125
www.facebook.com/VoltageToyHauler
21 REPLIES 21

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Well finally stayed home for a weekend and did the dual motor modification. Piece of cake. They wanted to sell me a whole new "slave" leg but I just bought the new input shaft and turned the old leg 180 which in my case worked PERFECTLY! Installed the second switch in place of the original and cut a new hole for the old switch so they control the correct leg. It works 100% better, now you can actually see the trailer move while before you had to watch the leg itself. Cost was about $260.00 including shipping. Venture was outstanding to work with, extremely good customer service and sent me all kinds of diagrams and instructions. Sorry I didn't do this years ago.

Will probably do this to my 08 Ragen 3005 sooner than later. That motor seems to works it's tail off. I guess I'll just give Venture a call. Thanks for the info!
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
The good thing about it is, you will probably never have to do it again.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Well finally stayed home for a weekend and did the dual motor modification. Piece of cake. They wanted to sell me a whole new "slave" leg but I just bought the new input shaft and turned the old leg 180 which in my case worked PERFECTLY! Installed the second switch in place of the original and cut a new hole for the old switch so they control the correct leg. It works 100% better, now you can actually see the trailer move while before you had to watch the leg itself. Cost was about $260.00 including shipping. Venture was outstanding to work with, extremely good customer service and sent me all kinds of diagrams and instructions. Sorry I didn't do this years ago.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

soonernation
Explorer
Explorer
I did buy the rebuild kit. Replacement was very straightforward except for the fact that the other gear would not fit. The diameter of the opening in the middle was too small. Fortunately, that was not the one that needed to be replaced.
2014 Ford F350 DRW
2013 Yamaha Zuma 125

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that's impressive. I would have thought the shear pin would have broken before it cleaned all the gear teeth off. Faulty gear maybe??

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
soonernation wrote:
This was the culprit:

If you buy a "rebuild" kit it will include a new bronze gear, shear pin, thrust bearing, etc.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Camorhino wrote:
Well, evidently my bad.....the landing gear kit she bought was from Eastern Marine.com. Went on the site and did not find the same dual kit 😞 I'm assuming it must have been a sale, and no longer available.

Thanks buddy, went right to the source, Venture Mfg. and they have sent me a quote. 300-350 depending if I replace the entire leg or just modify it. As soon as we get it pinned down I'm pulling the trigger. Do NOT want to crank again.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

soonernation
Explorer
Explorer
This was the culprit:

2014 Ford F350 DRW
2013 Yamaha Zuma 125

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
Well, evidently my bad.....the landing gear kit she bought was from Eastern Marine.com. Went on the site and did not find the same dual kit 😞 I'm assuming it must have been a sale, and no longer available.

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
Hang on. I've got the daughter looking for her old receipt to get you good intel.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Camorhino wrote:
E trailer is where she bought the top mount motored ones at. Came with the wire and extra switch also.

I checked their website but didn't see it, will look a bit more there. May have to call them. I see where they make a 3 switch setup now, that would be very nice, get the jacks all set then use the one switch to move them simultaneously.

thanks.

Sent them and email and no luck. I was wrong, motors/gearboxes are "Venture 9000". Guess I'll keep looking. Worst case is I'll put my own "kit" together.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Camorhino wrote:
E trailer is where she bought the top mount motored ones at. Came with the wire and extra switch also.

I checked their website but didn't see it, will look a bit more there. May have to call them. I see where they make a 3 switch setup now, that would be very nice, get the jacks all set then use the one switch to move them simultaneously.

thanks.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks but I have the Atwood brand, I'll check flea bay and E Trailer.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX