cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Axles Flipped - any potential problems??

Davezogg
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2008 Cherokee 5th wheel and towed it home with my new 2016 Ram 4x4 6.4 gasser.

The towing experience was wonderful, though the camper only weighs 6,500 pounds. Truck is a fabulous tow vehicle and I would certainly recommend it.

The problem is that I am about 8-9 inches nose high in the front!! I towed 400+ miles to get the rv home, but I know this is not good. I expected some swaying or worse on the trip, but all went well...surprised.

Anyway, I am getting the axles flipped next week for $425...reasonable I think.

I am wondering about the problems this might cause. I know lots of folks do the flip, but I am concerned about any negative results.

I already raised the pin box almost all the way up (one hole left), and gained an inch. So, I have another inch there. Also, I have a Curt Q16 slider lowered all the way down.

I'm assuming I'll get 5 inches out of the axle flip and another inch from the pin box, which will still leave me 2-4 inches nose high.

I guess I'll be towing a little nose high but I am at a loss at to what else to do....

Any advice is certainly appreciated...thanks in advance.
20 REPLIES 20

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure you do not exceed the nominal 13'6" height. Hate to have you leave your roof air on a low bridge/overpass.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

bkick
Explorer
Explorer
I have not had any problems except my wife needed an additional step. My flip would not have made my trailer level so I added heavier springs that also included more arch. My trailer now is less than an inch nose high.
Bkick

WE_CAMP2
Explorer
Explorer
I have done this to 2 5th wheel trailers with no problem. Spend a few more dollars and do the EZ-flex Equalizer and wet bolt kit while it is apart.... well worth the money!!
2017 F250 CC SB PSD & 2008 Cameo 5'er

RockfishJim
Explorer
Explorer
So, the Flip was easy and since then we pulled the trailer on a 400 mile trip, including 150 miles of CA Hwy 1 north of SF. The trailer behaved great and the extra clearance was noticed and appreciated. Next week I will be re-checking the shackle bolts as that is recommended in the instructions.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone flipping axles on an older RV, I would certainly recommend, if you plan on keeping coach for a few years, to replace leaf springs and install a dexter or similar wet bolt and shackle kit while everything is apart. That just eliminates a couple possible issues down the road.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
Davezogg wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm good on the bed to camper clearance at 6-7".....

My wife is concerned that we are "re-engineering" our camper....might be top heave, might bounce, brakes might work different, etc. She sees lots of potential issues.

We did note at a campground that a few big fifth wheels apparently came with the axles beneath the springs from the factory, or they have been flipped.

I guess it will all work ok......

My $0.02:

2-3" nose-high won't be a problem. Been doing that for the 12 years I've owned my FW because I need the bed clearance. 8" and I've used almost all of it more than once.

Higher CG? Yes, by a little. If it would make your wife happier, fill the fresh water tank at least part way to give you some "ballast".

I seriously doubt the mfrs have done =anything= different to their basic designs when they started "flipping" axles at the factory...other than to overall height. You WILL need to pay attention to that, since you could be 5" taller than original spec.

Lyle

The OP stated 8-9" nose high, I would flip the axles, level tow is always a better tow.
So many worry about leveling the TV when not towing (front lift), I leave mine with TV nose slightly down empty, and it come closer to level when towing.
Besides better towing, and easier on the suspension it just looks more professional!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
Not a problem after an axle flip. You will gain the thickness of the axles (3"), and the new spring perch ~1.5". I've done this on two 5ers and a TT. Our current 5er already has the axles below the spring, but I added a 1" spacer for more tire to wheel well clearance. Since doing that, pulled about 15,000 miles in 2 years. You will not be top heavy for that little amount of added height nor will it negatively change any handling characteristics but quite possibly will improve handling a bit by adjusting the weight over all four wheels instead of being a bit heavy on the rear axle and wearing those two tire faster (maybe?)

RockfishJim
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to say that I'm flipping the axle on my Spree 19 this weekend and really appreciate the advice and knowledge in this thread. I'll share how it went next week, assuming I survive 😉

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised that a camper that new has axles over the springs.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Davezogg wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm good on the bed to camper clearance at 6-7".....

My wife is concerned that we are "re-engineering" our camper....might be top heave, might bounce, brakes might work different, etc. She sees lots of potential issues.

We did note at a campground that a few big fifth wheels apparently came with the axles beneath the springs from the factory, or they have been flipped.

I guess it will all work ok......

My $0.02:

2-3" nose-high won't be a problem. Been doing that for the 12 years I've owned my FW because I need the bed clearance. 8" and I've used almost all of it more than once.

Higher CG? Yes, by a little. If it would make your wife happier, fill the fresh water tank at least part way to give you some "ballast".

I seriously doubt the mfrs have done =anything= different to their basic designs when they started "flipping" axles at the factory...other than to overall height. You WILL need to pay attention to that, since you could be 5" taller than original spec.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Flipped here also, adjusted WD hitch to compensate and replaced single entry step with double step. No noticed difference in towing. Make sure they weld the perches on.

I'm not sure about the price, seems likely reasonable. I did my own on a single axle with the dexter kit, welded the perches.. all told maybe an hour of work and about $60 for the kit. Double the time, and the kit price and some profit...
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Rambino
Explorer
Explorer
We did the flip and have no issues. We were nose high also. The DW couldn't wait to have it done as the bottom step was about an inch from the ground. Its also nice to have the storage and plumbing higher as well. More clearance and less bending over. And level!

Being your 5er is 8-9 years old, it would be a good time to check the wheel bearings, brakes, and suspension parts.
2016 Attitude 28SAG
2012 Ram 3500 CTD
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
2007 Kawasaki KFX 700

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I leveled ours with an axle flip (got close to 6") and it tows great and has great ground and bedrail clearance now too. It's tall but the center of gravity on a trailer is actually lower than you might think, especially when you run with full tanks.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I was 5-6" nose high and did axle flip/spring over earlier this year. At the same time I did Dexter EZ-flex and HD wet bolt kit. Also threw on a set of Duravis R250 LT tires. No complaints here. Trailer tows much better once its leveled. I do not notice the trailer being any more "top heavy". Like I said it tows BETTER. Only downside is youll likely need an additional entry step.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch