cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me pick a stabilization system

Re_and_Cheryl
Explorer
Explorer
Well the wife wants me to do something about the amount of movement out new 36' Coachmen has. Our old Prowler had a lot too, but she didn't want to put money into that as we knew it was a temporary step when we bought it.

I've been doing some research and most say kingpin supports do little to nothing and suck up storage room. The leading stabilization units I have found are the JT strong arm and the Steady Fast system. Both seem to accomplish stabilization the same way but the Steady Fast only braces on one front and one rear jack, it's also more expensive.

Looking for your thoughts and/or experiences

Re'
2005 Chevy 2500 4X4 Duramax
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 305LT (sold)
2013 Coachmen Chaperral 328rts
31 REPLIES 31

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 4 point Quadra Big Foot hydraulic leveling system on our Carriage Cameo. I went with the Steadyfast due to the simplicity and only 3 knobs to turn. It is awesome! Love it and our coach is virtually motionless now - even with the tires off the ground. You will not regret your purchase. Phillip
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
You see those tires on the ground and the springs between them and the frame? That does not stop the trailer from bouncing. Get a couple of scissor jacks (one for each side) and jack up the center spring hanger (assuming dual axles) on each side an inch or 2. Makes a rigid connection between the trailer frame and ground and removes the tires/springs from the equation.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm very happy with my JT Strongarms.

x2 - best addition to my fiver, by far.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a "Plug It Right"; which is similar to JT, only not as expensive. It is a simple to moderate DIY project. Keep in mind you will be on your hands and Knees every time you lower or raise your FW and you will still feel some movement. If you want to do it right, you need a 6 point leveling system. You get a jack, leveler and stabilizer all in one. These are somewhat new to the FW market and true to the RV industry cheap comes before quality. A modification system like "Plug It Right" is under $300. A 6 point is $4,000 to $5,000 and you will find it a skilled DIY project.

I never had a stabilization problem with my backpacking tent!
Big Bird 2

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered the Steady Fast for $310 last night. I am going to install on the front first & see if we can get away with just the fronts. Can add the rear later if needed.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Re_and_Cheryl
Explorer
Explorer
Well. I settled on the Steady Fast. It seems it went on sale just today for $310 shipped. Closer looks at pics provided by both companies led me to believe I'm getting more for my money with this system. Just looks better built and easier to use. I also like the clamps they use instead of the "T" handle set screws on the JT.

Re'
2005 Chevy 2500 4X4 Duramax
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 305LT (sold)
2013 Coachmen Chaperral 328rts

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm very happy with my JT Strongarms.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
I have the JT'S purchased used at swapmeet 6 or $100 they rock in a good way
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
I am very happy with the SteadyFast system and have only installed the front supports. It took care of most of it so am having trouble getting motivated to install the rear.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of hard to answer because most will only be able to speak to the system they have unless they have had both systems. I chose the SteadyFast and am happy. Once it's installed you can pretty much forget about it with the exception of loosening and tightening them when you raise and lower the gear (or stabilizers).

Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Have had JTs on mine for years. Works great. Definitely worth the investment.
Had a king pin tripod for a while. Helped a little but no comparison to the JTs.

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
I used a tripod for several years and found that it did little or nothing for the trailer shake when moving about, and wasn't worth the set-up, take-down and storage issues. I spoke with several owners who were using landing gear braces and they were vary happy with the results. I shopped around and found several brands on the market, and finally settled on the four brace system (front only) made by "BAL". They worked just like all the others, but were about half the price. I have had them on the trailer for three years and have been very pleased. In response to the comment regarding rust, there are already a lot of holes drilled in your frame and with proper priming and sealing, four more will not create an issue.

Another thing what will help with shaking is to shorten the length of your landing gear and rear supports is by using taller blocking under them. Makes for less wiggle room.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I put on The Eliminator (simular to JT Strongarm), they did a good job but with out rear kitchen, still had movement. I just added Winfield cross arms on the rear scissor stabilizers which really helped a lot. I decided to go the route of making a mod, then working with it before making any additional changes. Next up, probably Roto Chocks.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

josten367
Explorer
Explorer
I have a king pin tripod and it works well for me but all the movement is now in the back of the FW. I think the Steady Fast system would help a lot, just haven't done it yet.
I have also put bottle jacks in front of each of the tires, it helps, but doesn't fit the issue.
2012 Palomino Puma Bunkhouse 5th Wheel 295KBH
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Gas with Flowmasters
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
drilling 14 holes in the frame seems to me to be asking for rust.
bumpy