cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much is too much?

punjab66
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased a new Chev Diesel, 1T, 4wd with Single rear wheels. Now we are looking for a good quality 5W and are ready to make the switch from a TT. Our first major trip will be to Alaska to full fill a life long dream. We have found an extremly well card for 2005 34.5 Hitch Hiker II. My question is this is it too big a rig for a 2 month trip to Alaska? Would we be better with a lighter shorter 5W to start with?
13 REPLIES 13

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're headed there next year with friends. We pull a 17K 40Ft 5er, friends have a 40Ft Diesel Pusher. Looking forward to a trip of a life time. The only thing I would checkout is the weight of the Hitch Hiker, although shorter some of them are quite heavy and may stress you on cargo cap vs pin weight.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been to Alaska twice with ours & thinking about going again next year. Going to Alaska is not like going to the moon. A huge part is going through Canada, a very civilized country where everything you could possibly need can be found.

Generally northern roads are very good especially compared to some found in the Northeast US or in any city. Pay attention. Yes there are some rough sections. Drive at an appropriate speed & all will be fine.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
gerrym51 wrote:
people take big class A's so i don't see why not-but going to alaska is basically touring not camping.I see 5th wheels as drive to location-stop at least a week then move on. doing touring with one can be done but not easy.
Sounds like someone who has never had a 5er. I have had both and prefer the 5er.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 34.5 foot Discover America. We bought it last year a went to Alaska. Towing with 2011 GMC 3500 srw, everything is good on weights. The Duramax handles the unit excellent.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
One needs to consider many things related to the size/weight of a 5th wheel......However, having just returned from Alaska and being stuck in the middle of an RV migration on the Seward Highway, I can clearly state that a 34' 5th wheel is not too big.

Many of the locals have 5th wheels in the 30 - 35' range and there were quite a few of the truly big a** 5th wheels (36'+) on the road this past weekend.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

GramaofAAAA
Explorer
Explorer
What you buy depends on many things. Full time, a couple of trips a year, or just camping for the weekends. We went smaller and lighter (29' Alumascape), as we do more mountain camping and it's easier to get into the tighter spots. I picked out the 5th wheel (our first) and he picked the truck to pull it with. We will go full time in the next year or so and plan to live in it and travel for a few years. Look for many to be sure it's the one! Took me 2 years to find the right one! Happy travels........:)

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I have 1 ton srw truck in sig below. My fiver weighs 12,280 loaded with pin weight of 2400. With truck fully loaded for camping and my family and dog in cab, firewood and tools in bed I have 500 payload to spare on the truck. Maybe this will help for comparison sake.
Steve
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine, have a great trip!
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

dascom2000
Explorer
Explorer
P66: I agree with FTGuy about weight of 5er and size of toter. A fifth wheel trailer should have 20% of it's weight on the pin, for a 12.000# unit that is a little over a ton. You should check the tire rating max and the rear axle max in addition to the gross vehicle rating. Sounds like a nice heavy truck that is much better than some I see on the road pulling large heavy trailers. Good luck on the northbound trip, we have wanted to do that too. One state at a time I guess. ps: braking is not a problem till you really need it, ya got to have the brakes you need. Dave & Jenney
2007 Freightliner T2000 tandem AirCutter
TriPack APU, Leviathan 7" 4 camera monitor
Rand McNally TND-720 7" GPS
2004 Holiday Rambler Presidential 36'
98 Allegro on Astro for short runs

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Hitchhiker was a well made unit. It you have had it checked out and all is good, I would get it. If you start small, you will end up going bigger - most everyone does- and you won't have the hassles. Just be sure you have it checked out thoroughly for all systems working, possible leaks, generator, tires, slides, awning, roof condition, etc.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

Get what YOU are comfortable with... Not me, or anybody else here.. Check ALL the weights BEFORE you buy to make sure you have enough truck to handle the pin weight

I always say the bigger the better. :B. ...but that's me...that's why they make small pop ups to large class A busses...my momma always told me..... There is an butt for every seat !!!!

Good luck with your search... Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go for it!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
people take big class A's so i don't see why not-but going to alaska is basically touring not camping.I see 5th wheels as drive to location-stop at least a week then move on. doing touring with one can be done but not easy.