cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance...Need Assistance...Resolved

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
This is kind of hard to believe, but I just called my insurance agent to add a 2014 Ram Longhorn we purchased 2 days ago to our policy. When they heard that I would occasionally be towing a fifth wheel, they told me they would not cover the new truck...and wouldn't continue to cover the old truck because it was used to pull a fifth wheel!

Current vehicle and home insurance is via Costco / Ameriprise. We have used them for many years for multiple vehicles as well as for our home insurance. Great pricing and good service. No accidents or tickets for 47 years for either of us. RV is currently insured separately through Good Sam. I need to find a new insurance company quickly.

Does anyone have coverage for vehicles, home and RV through a single reputable company with reasonable rates and decent service? Who is your carrier? Did you compare prices between different companies?

Going to be busy on Monday morning talking to insurance companies. Planning on contacting AAA, Farmers, State Farm, Allstate and Geico. Open to all suggestions for additional companies, or reasons not to bother with some of them.

Thanks.
Doug & Juanita
2014 Cedar Creek Touring Edition
The Cedar Creek RV Owners Club
62 REPLIES 62

retskc
Explorer
Explorer
I have my truck covered by Costco and they know that I pull a fiver sounds like the agent you talked to needs to check their facts. I was going to use them for the fiver but was told they only cover trailers up to 30'. So went to blue sky for fiver
USN retired (Chief StoreKeeper
2017 Chevrolet 3500 HD High Country
2015 Big Horn 3570RS

kirbybear
Explorer
Explorer
AARP/HARTFORD would not because the F350 dual was over 10,000#, after they assured me an F350 was OK. When I gave them the VIN they said NO. I also had to scramble and I was full time.

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
We also have Ameriprise and they know we have the 5th wheel even spoke to an agent two weeks ago when I added full coverage to the truck. Normally we have liability only, but add full coverage for long weekend trips.

Is it the size of your rigs? Did they give a specific reason why they would't cover you? Did they recently change who they cover?

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Hotel California wrote:
This is kind of hard to believe, but I just called my insurance agent to add a 2014 Ram Longhorn we purchased 2 days ago to our policy. When they heard that I would occasionally be towing a fifth wheel, they told me they would not cover the new truck...and wouldn't continue to cover the old truck because it was used to pull a fifth wheel!

Current vehicle and home insurance is via Costco / Ameriprise. We have used them for many years for multiple vehicles as well as for our home insurance. Great pricing and good service. No accidents or tickets for 47 years for either of us. RV is currently insured separately through Good Sam. I need to find a new insurance company quickly.

Does anyone have coverage for vehicles, home and RV through a single reputable company with reasonable rates and decent service? Who is your carrier? Did you compare prices between different companies?

Going to be busy on Monday morning talking to insurance companies. Planning on contacting AAA, Farmers, State Farm, Allstate and Geico. Open to all suggestions for additional companies, or reasons not to bother with some of them.

Thanks.

Wawanesa - Vehicles & 5th wheel - also homeowners.
(5th is a separate RV policy, *not* an extension of truck policy)
Offices located in San Diego, no "agencies" - policies are all written for one year (you can make 3 payments if desired).
-> Wawanesa only writes policies in CA & OR. <-

Wawanesa beat: USAA, AAA, Progressive (for CA) - even the cost of the South Dakota Progressive policy I had when residing in SD - which I thought was *very* inexpensive.
All "apples to apples" - exact same coverage - (beat) by a substantial amt. (Not necessary to have homeowners with them.)

They (only) beat my BIL's GMAC vehicle ins by $300. a year - but he lives in a high (insurance) cost area of Los Angeles.

Funny story about AAA & "testimonial" for Wawanesa:
I was in the local AAA to pay a vehicle registration, the gal asked if I was interested in an insurance quote from AAA.
Told her I already got one - and AAA couldn't beat it (true!).

She asks, "Who do you have?"
I answered Wawanesa.
SHE (the AAA employee) says, "Oh yes we tried to get insurance with them, but they wouldn't take us because my husband uses his car for work".

Kinda made my day at AAA!..:B

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I've got everything with one company and the one I've been an agent with for 28 years. Truck size can be an issue, but generally a 1 ton or smaller isn't a problem. If someone has a rig larger that a 1ton then I have another company that can insure it when a RV is included.

For those who have been told their truck covers the 5er make sure it is covered for liability and physical damage and not just liability.

Fulltimers are a whole different issue than above.

To the OP, I've not come across a company that would not insure the truck that pulls a 5er, that isn't saying there isn't any.

Last, I've been a bit generic as to not promote a company.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
State Farm insures my home, 3 vehicles, and TT. Never had an issue with them.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
I have progressive and they cover my 1 ton ram and my RV. I have had 2 claims for the RV and they have been great to work with.

Cherry

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
whistlebritches wrote:
We had National Interstate on our 5th wheel when it was new and it had the diminishing deductible so if you didn't have any claims, after 4 years, the deductible was zero.

If you saw Nationwide's commercials you would see they also offer this. What the commercials don't tell you, but our agent did, is that it costs more (at least with Nationwide). They get you one way or another. LOL
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I had vehicles, camper and home under GMAC. Decided to go with local agent this year although they are slightly higher.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

whistlebritches
Explorer
Explorer
We had National Interstate on our 5th wheel when it was new and it had the diminishing deductible so if you didn't have any claims, after 4 years, the deductible was zero. Well, guess what, the fourth year when we got our premium renewal notice, they raise the rates on us, so now we have the CC insured with our car/truck insurance, Columbia Group, through an independent agent here.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Try "Foremost Ins. Co." They are part the Farmers Ins group. Have a house in the Mtns., pontoon boat and trailer insured with them. Allstate Ins has our vehicles and primary home but refused to insure property in the Mtns. Good Luck, Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We're insured with AllState for everything we own including life insurance policies. They insured us even when we had some really unusual circumstances.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider Erie insurance. A few years ago, one of their customers rear-ended me-totally his fault. They treated me right with repairs/rental/medical, etc. I don't know what they did to the kid that hit me, but I hope next time I get hit-it's one of Erie's customers!

Ohiojude
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2015 Chevy 3500 Dually, called our insurance co, added the new vehicle with no issues. Erie Insurance and they have been great for us.
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ diesel dually, Curt Q20 Hitch
**traded in-the lemon- 2012 Winnie Raven 5th Wheel**
for a marvelous-2014 Big Country 3596RE
Traveling with 3 wonderful Feline Furboys Milo, Mason and Mozart

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Hotel California wrote:

Thanks.

We have vehicles, home and RV through Nationwide. Our prices have been comparable and they have not been a problem with our claims.

I would check all you have listed too. Keep in mind, when getting quotes, they will check your credit rating. All those checks used to lower your score (temporarily). I don't mean to say don't get the quotes, but don't constantly do it.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB