cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting thought on Ford's Eco Boost engines

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
I own a Ram Cummins but found this video interesting because it parallels what we have noticed about our new Ford Escape with Eco Boost. This little 1.5 has unbelievable power....when called for..and good economy...when conditions are right. I believe all those folks I have talked to about pulling a trailer with an F150 Eco Boost experience the same thing. Watch this short video, interesting observation!! It won't do both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmVVqr5xS8s
28 REPLIES 28

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
Ecoboost is Ford speak for turbocharged, direct injected, pretty common in smaller vehicles these days. Power costs fuel, the advantage is not having to operate a bunch more machinery when you don't need the power. I own a DI turbo from another make. They are no different.

I thought the Ecoboost engines were twin turbos. That would make a difference.

That said, our 16 Taurus will squeal the tires, and that is with a plain 3.5.

Single, twin. Same thing. Twin turbos are mainly used to shorten spool up time and give better throttle response, not necessarily to produce more power.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
wilber1 wrote:
Ecoboost is Ford speak for turbocharged, direct injected, pretty common in smaller vehicles these days. Power costs fuel, the advantage is not having to operate a bunch more machinery when you don't need the power. I own a DI turbo from another make. They are no different.

I thought the Ecoboost engines were twin turbos. That would make a difference.

That said, our 16 Taurus will squeal the tires, and that is with a plain 3.5.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
I's stick with diesel. Even the 1/2 ton trucks are now offering diesel alternatives these days-- finally 🙂

Hard to make the numbers work on the 1/2 diesel.

More expensive fuel (around me anyway), more expensive maintenance, marginally better fuel economy, but not enough to offset the extra $$ for fuel and maintenance.

Plus the upfront $4000 extra....I realize you'll recoup that on resale to some degree.

Plus...the weight cuts into your payload...rending the 1/2 ton useless for towing anything over 5000lbs legally.

A friend of mine has the a 2015 Ecodiesel...it has 908lbs of payload.

He can barely put his family of 6 in his truck without going over payload.

Sounds like a great idea, but I think diesels in the 1 ton segment make the most sense.
2019 F150 Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Likes to tow wrote:
I own a Ram Cummins but found this video interesting because it parallels what we have noticed about our new Ford Escape with Eco Boost. This little 1.5 has unbelievable power....when called for..and good economy...when conditions are right. I believe all those folks I have talked to about pulling a trailer with an F150 Eco Boost experience the same thing. Watch this short video, interesting observation!! It won't do both.

Fifth Wheel Forum..

Hmmmm - If it (the Escape) was a pickup - could you tow your 27 ft 5th wheel with it?..:h

Besides the "Gee Whiz" here - it would seem your thread might generate some interesting *towing* discussion on the Travel Trailer forum by those who *do* tow with an Eco Boost

:W

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Likes to tow wrote:

Clicky

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE mine. It has surpassed my expectations for power, but, unfortunately, it has not met my expectations for economy. I've never broken 19mpg on a lengthy road trip, and that is babying it. I have MaxTow with the 2.73 rear end, maybe that's the reason.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The biggest "problem" with EcoBoost engines is KEEPING YOUR FOOT OUT OF THE THROTTLE ! Of course, when your foot is "in the throttle", you typically will have a big smile on your face !!

Ain't that the truth! I bought a F150 Supercrew with the 3.5 eb in October and am amazed by both the mileage when driving "normally" and the power when called upon.

I find myself looking for excuses to get on it, and the result is always a smile! Fortunately it hasn't been accompanied by a ticket yet.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest "problem" with EcoBoost engines is KEEPING YOUR FOOT OUT OF THE THROTTLE ! Of course, when your foot is "in the throttle", you typically will have a big smile on your face !!

I read somewhere else on the 'net, "you can have Eco (economy) or you can have Boost (power) but you can't have both at the same time !"

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I's stick with diesel. Even the 1/2 ton trucks are now offering diesel alternatives these days-- finally 🙂

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the Share. I’m a new to us EcoBoost owner. Ours is in a Lincoln MKC with the 2.0 EB. Love it so far. Hard not to stay in the boost though.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^Exactly. Any Ecoboost will give you power when needed....merging on an uphill interstate ramp, pulling a trailer, pulling someone out of a ditch...whatever.

But if you drive conservatively you will get very good gas mileage out of any Ecoboost engine.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Doesn't seem like a secret, just common sense.
When you make any eng work hard it will use a lot more fuel.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this supposed to be some giant mystery or something? It's really pretty simple. The Eco boost has Hp when you need it, and economy when you don't. If you use your truck as a daily driver (like I do) you can have the economy 80% of the time, and only pay extra the 20% of the time you need the Hp for towing. Coupled with the 10 sp transmission that's a combination hard not to like.
Same basic principal as that diesel with the turbo on it.