cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It sucks being short, little advice needed.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We have the outdoor kitchen on our fiver and on one site we use at the lake my shortness gets the best of me. I cannot reach the door to close it without getting a step stool. What mods have you guys used to solve this problem. Thought about using a rope attached to a bracket but that might not look so good. Only need 12-16 inches.

Happy camping all.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian
14 REPLIES 14

525pilly
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry. don't have an answer for you, but it does remind me of an incident in the past.

On our crew was one man who stood 5'5", the rest of us were all about six feet. We often teased him about it, one day he got mad and declared "I'm taller then both my parents, so I know it isn't hereditary!"

MO_Trout_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
We have the outdoor kitchen on our fiver and on one site we use at the lake my shortness gets the best of me. I cannot reach the door to close it without getting a step stool. What mods have you guys used to solve this problem. Thought about using a rope attached to a bracket but that might not look so good. Only need 12-16 inches.

Happy camping all.

Keep a long barbecue spatula in the kitchen. Reach up and use the side of the scoop to pull down on the door far enough to reach it by hand. You could even glue a magnet to the handle and attach to side of fridge if it's metal.

No-one needs to know. 😉
2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Outdoor kitchen.....compartment door lifts UP.

Buy an awning strap.
Attach it to center of door inside several inches above bottom edge.

Drill 2 holes thru door.
Place a nice chrome plate on outside .....awning strap on inside with another plate over strap then bolt the 2 plates together with door sandwiched between.

Cut strap prior to install so that it is long enough to reach but short enough to not be in your face when using kitchen

IF I was vertically challenged that is what I would do.

Nice kitchen!!

Nah; too simple. Go with electric struts so there's something else to go wrong or for the wind to destroy if it blows > 5 mph.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
I built a small deck outside of ours,(4x8) 12" high with railing....using sink is much easier too. Obviously this only works for seasonal campers. Every one that has seen it says "what a great idea"
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Change campsites.:)
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Outdoor kitchen.....compartment door lifts UP.

Buy an awning strap.
Attach it to center of door inside several inches above bottom edge.

Drill 2 holes thru door.
Place a nice chrome plate on outside .....awning strap on inside with another plate over strap then bolt the 2 plates together with door sandwiched between.

Cut strap prior to install so that it is long enough to reach but short enough to not be in your face when using kitchen

IF I was vertically challenged that is what I would do.

Nice kitchen!!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Issue two... why is my son 6'1" and I'm 5'6" and wife in 5'4" on a good day? He gets all of the head knocks especially on the slides. Three times in less than an hour is his best.

I was going to say something cute. But thought better. It may not go over as good a joke in your town as it is here. and sometimes Humor is hard on the net.
Any way. how tall are your parents, grandparents, and what about hers as well?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Not an answer to you post. but you know. you can over come all the problems of being short with a stool, or ladder. Think about the positives. You can drive any vehicle with out your head rubbing the inside top. You don't have to duck to go thru doorways. You never get your head stuck in ceiling fans. Your feet don't hang off the end of the bed.

So count your blessings. you could be tall with a head full of knots, A Knott Head so to speak.

Issue one... I currently pull over my small step I use as my bottom step to my entrance stairs. Being I have bad knees I am not a proponent of using any kind of stool, really bad balance + stool = busted arse.

Issue two... why is my son 6'1" and I'm 5'6" and wife in 5'4" on a good day? He gets all of the head knocks especially on the slides. Three times in less than an hour is his best.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Think about the positives...You never get your head stuck in ceiling fans...

Yeah, that's something anyways. :B
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
How about attaching a Velcro strap to the inside (bottom) edge of the door and then sticking the other part to the door straight down at the end of the (12-16 inch) strap. Pull the strap off the sticky part to pull the door down, then re-attach before closing the door.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not an answer to you post. but you know. you can over come all the problems of being short with a stool, or ladder. Think about the positives. You can drive any vehicle with out your head rubbing the inside top. You don't have to duck to go thru doorways. You never get your head stuck in ceiling fans. Your feet don't hang off the end of the bed.

So count your blessings. you could be tall with a head full of knots, A Knott Head so to speak.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Put an eyelet on the inside of the door and use an awning rod.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Some acquaintances of ours has a set of "steps to nowhere" installed so she can reach inside the cabinets. The kind they found folded up really flat so it was easy to install and not have them torn off on the road from hanging so low to the ground.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Shire, fellow Hobbit!

For a vertically-challenged relative we attached a paint stirrer to a cabinet door so she could close it after she got off her step-stool.

She was afraid that she would either drop whatever she retrieved from the cabinet or fall off the stool if she tried to close the door.

It didn't look very pretty, but it worked okay.

There are also several types of extended "grabbers" that might help if you have a cabinet that opens upward.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!