Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JUST GOT 5TH WHEEL AND HAVE A FEW QUESTION

Jnet_12
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,
We just got this 2004 Mountaineer Montana 298RLS .. It is in great shape no water damage at all!!! It has been seating for two years and it needed a good bath 🙂 and boy did I give it to him 🙂 from top to bottom:) The roof has no leaks at all but does have a few bubbles and was told to leave them a lone as long as there isnt any leaks or rips.. Just need to replace a few things like the awnings THEY ARE DRY ROT and the sofa mattress and bed room mattress .. Not sure what size the sofa mattress is being there isnt one in there any longer.... I was told the bed was a queen but not sure what the size is. Someone told us that must of them in there are like 60 x 75 does that sound right? Does anyone know so we can get new ones? The inside of this 5th wheel looks great, but the mattress need to be replace!!!! We took it out a few weeks ago and did a run with it and we were so happy to see that everything worked great even the heat:) I have to say for the price we got it for was great so we have a few dollars to replace something.. We got it for 7,000.. The owner took care of it but had a stroke and was no longer able to,so we got it.. It also has new tires on it as well.. Anyway if anyone knows the sizes of the mattresses and where we could get new ones with out spending a lot of money.. please let us know.. Thanks 🙂
18 REPLIES 18

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
ohiopicker wrote:
Did anyone mention tires? My son and I replaced the fabric on our awning. It wasn't difficult, but be sure you understand the operation of the spring rewind mechanism, and the danger of the stored energy that the spring contains. I made a tool for unwinding/rewinding the spring from an old carpenter's brace. (Wood drill holder). I've used it several times, works like a charm.

Could you post a picture of your awning tool? Chris

X2 As I will be replacing ours in the spring I would definately like to see a picture of this tool.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ohiopicker wrote:
Did anyone mention tires? My son and I replaced the fabric on our awning. It wasn't difficult, but be sure you understand the operation of the spring rewind mechanism, and the danger of the stored energy that the spring contains. I made a tool for unwinding/rewinding the spring from an old carpenter's brace. (Wood drill holder). I've used it several times, works like a charm.

Could you post a picture of your awning tool? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ohiopicker
Explorer
Explorer

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
Company called Shadepro in san diego CA sells awning fabric with DIY instructions. Very reasonable price.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

KOTR36
Explorer
Explorer
Get an inflatable 'Airbed" mattress for the sofa.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! Congratulations on your new coach.

I looked up the specs and according to Keystone it was a standard 60 x 80 queen in the bedroom.

And definitely do NOT trust those tires. One blows and a whole lot of damage can be done!
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you notice a trend in the responses here??

Tires Tires Tires

I personally would not connect my truck to any trailer that has tires that are "OK for now". Not even just to move it around the driveway.

The only exception might to take it up to the tire store for new tires. (LT tires, not ST.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jnet 12 wrote:
Thanks Guys ,
Husband said the tires are ok for right now but will be keeping his eyes on them... Jnet

Then you might be back and ask us why we did not ask you more about the tires!!!! However we did!!!!! Tires are the Achilles Heal of 5th wheel trailers. Check the date codes and report back with that and the size, make and model if you want to learn more about trailer tires!!!!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
John Bridge wrote:
Some camper beds are 80 inches long just like at home. Some (many) are shorter. Measure what will fit in the bedroom. Same with the sofa. Measure what will fit in the living room. 🙂

X2

Standard Queen is 60" X 80" draw in the bedroom slide and measure if the Standard Queen will fit
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

John_Bridge
Explorer
Explorer
Some camper beds are 80 inches long just like at home. Some (many) are shorter. Measure what will fit in the bedroom. Same with the sofa. Measure what will fit in the living room. 🙂
Semi-"retarred" in 2006. 🙂 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heed the warning about the tires!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jnet_12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Guys ,
Husband said the tires are ok for right now but will be keeping his eyes on them... We are taking it out again next weekend for a Halloween event that is going on and I hope I can get a new mattress for the sofa not sure if it had a full or queen forgot to ask him...The one that was in there they took out because they said it was not in good shape, that tells me they used it a lot but I was also told the ones on the sofa and in the bedroom are cheap ones ... Anyway thanks again for getting back to us. 🙂 Jnet

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
After sitting for two years, and since the awning had dry rotted, I would check the tires immediately. Do you know if the trailer was in the sun or stored inside? If it was outside for two years, I would replace the tires unless they were covered and keep off the ground. Also, I would check the brakes as a lot can rust in there in two years.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

ontheroad101
Explorer
Explorer
As already posted and very very important is check the tires. Good luck with the rig.
Super Wife Linda, me Bob &
(Blazer & Lilly's ashes on board)
2014 Forester Class C, our Blog http://www.bobandlindasrvtravels.blogspot.com/

Sea Eagle Fishermen & Kayak