cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone does it again!!!!

Steve_O_Reno
Explorer
Explorer
While doing the pre trip prep on the hauler and re screwing and nailing down everything that fell off from the last 100 mile trip I heard a chirp. Found the CO2 detector was bad. No big deal off to the RV store and found out these have a 10 year life span. Well mine says replace in 2012. My trailer is a 2010 so that means they put in a 7 year old part!!!!!! I already replaced the LP that was out of date before the trailer build out. The CO2 detector btw was 110 bucks. What a sad and shameful way to run a company
18 REPLIES 18

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I too must of been lucky. I put my 05' 3612DS through a lot of tuff miles and the only failures were the converter and the remote black tank handle/cable. It had been towed for 40,000 miles, many of which were harsh off highway roads, when we traded it in 2011 and it was still in great condition. Had we not decided to move to a class A I would still be abusing it.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Sandman wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:
Keystone knows two things really well. 1.)Sell bling and sizzle. 2.)Build at the lowest possible cost where quality be damned. Sooner or later the RV buyers are going to recognize it.

How is that different than many other manufactures out there?

X2

X3. I'd throw Heartland right in the mix with them.

Mr__Sandman
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:
Keystone knows two things really well. 1.)Sell bling and sizzle. 2.)Build at the lowest possible cost where quality be damned. Sooner or later the RV buyers are going to recognize it.

X2
Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford F350 PSD 4x4
Hauler - Sold/None
Toys - 2009 Polaris RZR LE, 1985 ATC 250R,
2009 Raptor 700, 2003 Raptor 80,

Badhabt
Explorer
Explorer
I guess Ive been lucky. I ordered my 2007 Raptor 3612DS in Sept 2006, still have it, and besides a few little glitches that Ive fixed myself, its been a great unit. The dealer I bought it from is still great to work with...couple years back I blew out a tire and tore out the wiring to my center axle brakes. I went in and spoke with the service tech there and he helped me sorting the brake wiring over the counter. Sad to hear that Keystone has gotten so bad.
06 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Dually Tow Boss
07 Raptor 3612DS
06 Raptor 700R 50th Anniv Edition - mine
06 Wolverine 450 - wifes
13 Can Am Spyder ST-Limited - more mine
14 Can Am Spyder RT-S - more hers

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
nevadanick wrote:
Someone had to take WW's place.

X2 (I wish I would have thought of that first!)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
LostinAZ wrote:

Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I had room on this post to list all the things I've had to repair and/or replace on my Keystone Cougar in the five years I've owned it. Here's a short list:

Stripped landing gear
Stripped slide gears (2x)
Shower stall when 1 week old
Stereo system that was wiped out by the slide when it got sideways.
Electrical wiring in battery compartment
Electrical relays in battery compartment
All vents
Converter (2x)

and on and on and on........

This on a unit that was only used 4-5 times a year for short distance trips.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:

Are you referring to Weekend Warrior?

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer

Steve_O_Reno
Explorer
Explorer
The 2 happiest days of my life: When I picked up the new 3912 raptor and the day I sold it !!!!

It will be a good buy for someone as all the things wrong from the factory will be rectified.

Steve_O_Reno
Explorer
Explorer
BTW its not like I am flogging this thing. It sits in my shop that is heated. Its been out 3 times this year. Thank God I don't have to pay someone this thing.

But This year Remote for awning,lights jacks out. Dead I am not repairing. Power converter. LP Detector. Last fall 5 trips ago speaker fell out of ceiling.
Got rid of china bombs (my choice they did not fail yet) Brakes on 2 wheels fell apart. 2 Light fixtures fell apart. Kitchen sink faucet failed. That does not figure that 1 of the outside doors is a 1/2 in out of square and 1 of the inside doors close and latch. The couch cushions the seams are raveling. Had to fix the garage happy jack bed frame. Trim is falling off faster than I can put it back up. And on and on. If it wasnt in my shop I wish it would catch fire and burn. This thing had to be built of the Friday of a 3 day weekend.

Steve_O_Reno
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
Steve O Reno wrote:
While doing the pre trip prep on the hauler and re screwing and nailing down everything that fell off from the last 100 mile trip I heard a chirp. Found the CO2 detector was bad. No big deal off to the RV store and found out these have a 10 year life span. Well mine says replace in 2012. My trailer is a 2010 so that means they put in a 7 year old part!!!!!! I already replaced the LP that was out of date before the trailer build out. The CO2 detector btw was 110 bucks. What a sad and shameful way to run a company

While I agree a detector that old should not have been installed, but paying that much for a new one sounds illogical to me. Kidde has a new unit out that has a ten year battery and a readout display so if the alarm does go off you can see how bad the problem is for about $50.

The old one is hard wired and as others have said has a specific shape/size. As to why a company would install any electric safety product that is so old or in the case of the lp detector already out of date is inexcusable. BTW I kept the old one and can post a pic if they dont believe me. The thing that bothers me is that this trailer has so many problems. I would never consider buying a new trailer except one of the custom builders. I dont trust anything built in elkhart.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Steve O Reno wrote:

While I agree a detector that old should not have been installed, but paying that much for a new one sounds illogical to me. Kidde has a new unit out that has a ten year battery and a readout display so if the alarm does go off you can see how bad the problem is for about $50.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work