cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

King Pin Leveling Tripod?

FW_Michele
Explorer
Explorer
We're about to embark on our first trip, and while wandering through the local RV store, we saw a tripod thing-y, that supports the front of the FW while it is unhitched.

Conceptually, it seems like a good idea - how many people have them and use them? bought them and tossed them? are considering purchasing?

Thanks -
Michele
13 REPLIES 13

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
fivecodys wrote:
GregK wrote:
fivecodys wrote:
We are using the Winfield Stabilizer.
Clicky
Been very satisfied with it.

Bill

Wow, 200 clams for 20 bucks worth of tubing. But thanks for the link, that will be easy to build myself. ๐Ÿ™‚

There is some engineering involved there too. ๐Ÿ™‚
But if you can build it yourself for 20 bucks, more power to you.

Bill

My thought as well. We also use the Winfield and like it. Installs in less than 30 minutes with just two wrenches.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
GregK wrote:
fivecodys wrote:
Clicky

Bill

Wow, 200 clams for 20 bucks worth of tubing. But thanks for the link, that will be easy to build myself. ๐Ÿ™‚

There is some engineering involved there too. ๐Ÿ™‚
But if you can build it yourself for 20 bucks, more power to you.

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"? :S

GregK
Explorer
Explorer
fivecodys wrote:
Clicky

Bill

2010 Jayco Eagle 351RLSA on a seasonal site.

sandtsherman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the JT products are nice, but we went with the tripod to save some money for other things as we're getting started. If you're a weekend camper, the tripod is more than sufficient. If you're going to full time or camp quite a bit, get the JTs.

Otherwise, spend the extra money on yourself and get them later if you feel you really need them.
Steve & Terri
2008 Ford F250 Powerstroke 6.4L
2013 Coachman Chaparral Signature 327RLKS
Look out! We're newbies!

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"? :S

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As mentioned it is not for leveling, only for stabilizing. I used one for a year then installed JT Strongarm stabilizers. Much better for eliminating the shakes. Sold the tripod.

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
Still using the king pin stand I purchased in 2004.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Hamops
Explorer
Explorer
I used a kingpin stand for several years and there is no comparison to JT StrongArms that I put on our 5vr. The StrongArms are far superior. The kingpin stand makes a good boat anchor but not much else.

Cheers
Helen & George VE3INB and Max (Bichon Frise)

2006 Silverado 2500HD D/A, Isspro Gauges, Linex, Westin Nerf Bars, Fold-A-Cover

2014 Avalanche 295
Reese 16K Slider, Bedsaver, Prodigy Controller, Rearview Camera

sem1
Explorer
Explorer
I threw mine away many years ago. could make a good boat anchor. If you have a rocking problem get J T Stongs or another brand . they WORK and aremoney well spent

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
If we were to get a new 5er, I'd skip the tripod and use the J. T. Strong Arm product, or something similar.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Without the tripod I can push the side of the trailer and it will rock. With the tripod, no rocking when I push the side of the trailer. It helps to keep the bedroom area stable.

Most folks are now using the J. T. Strong Arm product attached to the landing gear to provide better stability.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are not a leveling device. They are strictly a stabilizer for the nose of your fifth wheel. They work good if... You do not have an air pin box. If you do, for it to be completely effective you need to dump all the air out of the bagmbefore it will work correctly. But once installed it does help some. Especially when doing the laundry.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've used one since the early 80s. See another current same subject post by "kentucky joe" http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26980075.cfm.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides