cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

led taillight replace

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
my 5er has regular 1157 bulbs in taillight I have seen different LED bulb replacements, which one is best.

thanks
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
17 REPLIES 17

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
DHCamper wrote:
I changed to these Bargman LEDs because a socket was corroded when the trailer was new and the OEM lights seemed small. They get noticed.

I too went with those...very bright!

2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
aruba, I have same problem, which lights did you buy
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
a friend bought a slew of 1157 replacement bulbs and the stop lites where all clustered at the top of the bulb while the tail lites where on the circumferance. and in his case the bulb went in horizontally, from left to right and right to left and the light shone sideways and did no good as a stoplight. Money wasted. I have added some LED tail light to my camper, higher, above the factory ones because when I carry bikes they are covered and the factory lights are then covered also. But, if you don't need it, why spend the money? The factory lights are more than adequate.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
There is no real good reason changing out the trailer safety lights if you are trying to save DC Power on your trailer batteries. The Trailer safety lights run off of the truck start battery system not the trailer batteries...

These safety lights are DOT approved when the trailer folks built the trailer. The LED replacement bulbs/boards for the 1157 automotive bulbs may not be DOT approved to use for the trailer tail light assemblies. Using replacement LED lights for trailer safety lights may have to use a complete DOT LED Lamp assembly...

Since these lights are powered by the 12VDC truck start battery system you will not gain any useful trailer installed battery DC Power savings wise.

Something to check with DOT/DMV about at any rate...

Just my thoughts here...
Roy Ken

I run my lights on my 5th wheel when it's not hooked to the truck at the campground. It gives a good glow of light 360* around the coach and don't hurt your eyes like a lot of lights people use. By having all LED's they run cooler which cuts down on the bugs, and also it's not pulling near the juice from my converter. I also use the back-up LED lights on the back of the 5th wheel to clean fish at night. I do this by using the coach's power not the truck.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
wirenutz wrote:
why not replace the entire light with an LED fixture ?

23mikey wrote:
I replaced the entire fixture on my previous coach, a 2001 Laredo. I did it for the increased daytime & nighttime visibility. Easy plug & play safety upgrade.

This is why!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
For my 5er I added a LED light bar under the bumper, tucked back just far enought where you couldn't see it standing next to the back of the RV but step back 10' or more and when using the brake or turn indicator it lit up the back underside of the bumper so the driver behind knew what I was doing....The 60" truck light strip works well or the 12" Combo LED strip works well too..
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I've been running this one for a few years, probably the best LED of all the ones I've tried: http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/stt_1157.htm
Bob

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I changed to these Bargman LEDs because a socket was corroded when the trailer was new and the OEM lights seemed small. They get noticed.

23mikey
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the entire fixture on my previous coach, a 2001 Laredo. I did it for the increased daytime & nighttime visibility. Easy plug & play safety upgrade.
2018 F350 DRW Lariat PSD
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320GK 1200w Solar, 400aH Battleborn, 3kw Magnum Hybrid Inverter/charger, Disc brakes, Sailun G rated tires

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
The tail/brake lights on my fiver are mounted inside the body cavity and are not separate fixtures that can simply be replaced. I went to SUPER BRIGHT LED's (superbrightleds.com)and purchased a square wafer LED which is attached to a wire with an 1157 plug that plugs into the trailer. Because of its size they have over twice the number of LED and are super bright. Be sure to purchase the red LED lights if you are using them with a red lens, white only if using with a clear lens. They are much brighter than the OEM bulbs and have the instant on feature.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Jim_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the tail light / brake lights, were just not bright enough to catch drivers attention on my 2006 30' Wildcat.

So I replaced them with led bulbs that are supposed to replace 1157 bulbs. Wow, that was a waste of money. The led replacement bulbs were not as bright as the standard 1157s were.

Then I did a lot of google research, and found some led replacement taillight assemblies here www.superbrightleds.com/cat/truck-trailer-led-lights/

I was lucky enough to find left and right assemblies that fit where my old assemblies did and could not be happier. Now people behind me KNOW when I am turning or stopping.
2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my taillights with LED fixtures. It wasn't a "save power" thing for me it was visibility.
The ones I bought from Amazon were only $42 and pretty easy to install.

http://www.amazon.com/Camper-Trailer-Brake-Lights-License/dp/B00LA59QZOh
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced the entire tail-turn light fixtures on the rear of our motorhome with LED fixtures and the increase in daytime visibility was really pronounced. If you can find the direct LED fixture replacement, it's pretty much plug 'n' play. Even I could do it. ๐Ÿ™‚

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
why bother. I think I have replaced one or two tail light bulbs the last 50 years.
bumpy