Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for new spot to go in Colorado

Steve_O_Reno
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Boys and Girls
Looking for a campground that we can ride the quads and bikes from and get to or start at the trails. Been to Estes Park area, Silverton,Ouray, Telluride and Durango. Looking in the Buena Vista area or close. All the local CG's have to trailer to the trail head. Still want to ride and do the touristy stuff. Raft hike fish and of course eat.

Thanks in advance !
22 REPLIES 22

TommyC83
Explorer
Explorer
Says thebudman 🙂

thebudman
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, Colorado in the spring: the aroma of weed-smoke wafting through the air. I imagine with April 20th rolling around, there must be some top-notch events being held state-wide. A chance for Colorado to highlight the best and the brightest the state (and surrounding areas) have to offer.

Rocky mountain high, Colorado....
08 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6 sp manual
08 WW FK 2100
08 Rhino, 99 Honda TRX 400

Rotzilla
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Taylor Park, rode there for 3 days for the first time last fall,
we are definately going to make it a annual trip. The last week of Aug - 1st week of Sept is the annual rzr forums ride, definately a time to avoid the crowds. We stayed at the Trading Post campground, it was clean and centerally located, a little pricey however.

TommyC83
Explorer
Explorer
Taylor park is your best option. All the riding you could ask for, campgrounds, boondocking. There is a couple small places to eat but nothing to write home about. Buena vista is about a 30min ride over the pass. Crested butte is also about 30-40min away. Both of which youd have to drive to. Lots of fishing, hiking and hkrseback riding right around taylor park.

You can also make it to aspen in a couple hours on atv's. We rode right to the bottom of aspen mountain and went into town to meet some family for lunch.

pickup the trail book from funtreks aswell as the gps maps and youll have an awesome time.

SkippysPad
Explorer
Explorer
Vega State Park. The trails for the Grand Mesa start at the campground.
:B 2013 F-250 4x4 Crew, 6.7L Turbo Diesel, 5000lb Air Lift rear bags,
Equalizer 1200/12K Trunnion Bars
2015 KZ MXT 303 Toy Hauler:C
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2 dogs, Him & Her:C

Steve_O_Reno
Explorer
Explorer
jrp wrote:
Most of the best riding trails are on the other side of Cottonwood Pass from Buena Vista, around a place called Taylor Park. There you can ride right from camp, but would need to drive back to BV or Gunnison for some of the tourist & restaurant stuff. The sites & trails around Taylor Park do get a bit crowded in mid summer & holidays.

Your version and our in the midwest of crowded are likely not the same. The trails close to home look like a GNCC race. We rode 80 miles in Estes and saw one hiker. In Silverton it seemed fairly busy with jeeps SxS and quads, Bikes hardly any.

I will check Taylor park out Thanks

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the best riding trails are on the other side of Cottonwood Pass from Buena Vista, around a place called Taylor Park. There you can ride right from camp, but would need to drive back to BV or Gunnison for some of the tourist & restaurant stuff. The sites & trails around Taylor Park do get a bit crowded in mid summer & holidays.

Another area is the Rio Grande National Forest in south central Colorado, near Creede & South Fork, Co. My summer home is in South Fork and I ride right from my garage up to 13,000 ft. I ride almost every day and it took me 3 yrs to cover all the trails in this area.
Jim

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure about the riding, but Steamboat Springs is a beautiful area.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650