cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Miles per day

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
I am pulling a 40' 5th wheel. I was wondering how many miles per day you all drive on a long trip? Has anyone ever used the Ohio turnpike RV rest stops?
50 REPLIES 50

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
I echo the other comments and add that if you must go really long plan long breaks in between. Otr drivers require regular breaks, so should you.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

morley
Explorer
Explorer
We like to do no more than 450 kilometers if possible. Possibly less if lots of attractions, etc. along the way to see.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

epusher
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used the Ohio TP camping areas, but we did pull into an area with the T&T to park while we ran in to grab a sandwich from one of the shops. I would only do it and part with the dollars (20 I think) if needing electricity for AC. It was a nice and clean area and appeared secure. I think there was some slot where you dropped your money in, but honestly I didn't spend a lot of time looking the process over.
2010 Sabre 30BHDS: 10 gal elct/gas dsi, 15k a/c, 1.5 bath, high fidelity package
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4, 1 dog, 1 wife, 2 kids, 2 cats

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled 500 miles one day, and I'll not do that again. I prefer 300. We are preparing to head to South Fork Co. for the summer. I'm so tired that we only plan 3 hours the first day. I was going to teach school 3 days, and decided to have sub. also pick up Wed. and we can start Tuesday afternoon. Drive to Clayton NM and get some sleep and make it to South Fork next day. Bad thing after getting everything up their I have to return home and give final exam, and then do grade book. DW gets to stay in colorado. When no pulling I can handle the 400 miles easy.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
No more than 300 miles and no one night stops
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
80 - 250, but then we are retired & have no reason to push it.
pawatt

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
We did some 9-10 hr days last summer trying to get from home eastern ND to Glacier Park in MT and back. I'm 32 and pretty use to doing 14-16 hr days hauling grain during harvest. We only did one long day each direction plus a half day but then we were there for almost a week so lots of time to relax.
2013 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.7L
2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Used to do 650 miles in one day easy.
Now at my advanced age and with a wife who gets very cranky it's down to 250 maybe...

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
When we were both working and needed to be somewhere, like getting home by Sunday night after a Saturday NASCAR race, we would do 500 to 600 miles in a day.

Now that we are retired we pretty much limit it to 200 to 300 miles per day, sometimes we will run a little longer if we both feel like pushing a little farther.

One advantage of our HDT is that long days are nowhere near as tiring as they were when we towed with a pickup.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
1,000 miles in 24 hours. Don't stop except to fuel up and sleep eat cold subs at fuel stop. Home to The DIS.and DIS to home.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

John_Bridge
Explorer
Explorer
Jim and Barb wrote:
We are preparing to pull our 5vr to Fairbanks Ak.in 3 weeks and we are planning on 7days for 2900 Mi.

I've made the Alaska run twice jumping off from Seattle. Takes me a minimum of ten days. Includes a couple side trips and some sightseeing. Western Canada is beautiful. Don't miss it. ๐Ÿ™‚

About 300 miles for me (in the South 48) tops.
Semi-"retarred" in 2006. ๐Ÿ™‚ 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Also depends on your age...
I have found that the older I get the fewer miles I want to tow each day.
My marathon 700-800 milers are behind me.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

RicJones
Explorer
Explorer
IMO it's better to decide on hours per day not miles. Miles may vary based on conditions.

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
We like to do 250 to 350 miles max per day but have done 500+ and were totally worn out at the end of the day.
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't driven in your area but we usually tow no more than 5 - 6 hours so for us that's about 300 miles. We don't push it, we take our time. It's serious business towing that much so you have to be alert at all times. We stop in between at rest stops to stretch our legs and walk the dogs. We get into our fifth wheel and eat lunch or just relax a little.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton