cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to 5'ers

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
What is the practice for lubricating the 5th-wheel hitch? Are covers usually put over them when not towing? I assume it's possible to buy something like a gas grill cover sold at RV locations? Camp on
11 REPLIES 11

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like I'll be getting a teflon disk. As for covering, I see no down side to keeping it covered when not in use, and I'll remove the hitch from May to Dec when I don't need it. Thanks everyone for helping. Even an experienced camper (11 yrs with a TT) needs help on something new. Camp on!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never have used a cover ever.
Old style pre-teflon disc was a light film of grease on hitch head and king pin plate.

Thank goodness for those teflon discs!!!!!
Only use a light film of dry lube on moving points of hitch(pivots points and jaw tracts where jaw makes contact with hitch structure) and on king pin/jaw contact points.

Once a year I remove head & mount from truck.........give it a good cleaning and repaint as necessary. Pull the large head mount pin, clean it and the articulating pins. Good heavy grease--reassemble and wipe off excess.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Like most I use a disk with just a little grease around the pin. Mine does stay under my roll type tonneau cover when in the truck. And I usually take it out during the off season and store it inside the garage or storage building.
But many leave theirs in the bed uncovered. Don't see a problem doing that as long as all the moving parts are properly lubed. Paint will fade over time and little nicks and scratches will show some rust and make it look older than it really is, but that is just cosmetic.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
oilslick wrote:
Teflon disc, grease attracts dirt. I store my hitch under the RV on a low dolly with 4 casters, easy to wheel under or move around.

X5 then some grease were the jaws grab the pin.
I don't cover no need.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
oilslick wrote:
Teflon disc, grease attracts dirt. I store my hitch under the RV on a low dolly with 4 casters, easy to wheel under or move around.

I think what OP might have been asking about the cover is when one leaves the hitch in their truck during the towing season. CW makes a cover specifically for a 5th wheel hitch, works great, though I could have been wrong about that asssumption.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I use the teflon disc...only use dry lube on springs or actuators....You can purchase a 5th wheel hitch cover at Camping World for under $20...I've had mine for 7-8 yrs, when not in use, I put it in my toolbox in back of truck...
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I think most people use the teflon disc. They will last a long time, and much cleaner. You should put a light layer of lube on the pin, where it makes contact with the jaws.

I keep my hitch covered, when not in use, with a roll up bed cover. It makes it handy to keep other things dry in the bed, when not towing.

Jerry

This. I've used my disk for 6 seasons and had no problem or breakage. Tri fold tonneau keeps it dry and clean. Only time its exposed to the elements is when actually towing.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
Our hitch sits in the garage when not being used. We have used the teflon disk since the camper was new I broke one when I didnt have the camper raised high enough, but they work great and are CLEAN thats the big thing. good luck
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think most people use the teflon disc. They will last a long time, and much cleaner. You should put a light layer of lube on the pin, where it makes contact with the jaws.

I keep my hitch covered, when not in use, with a roll up bed cover. It makes it handy to keep other things dry in the bed, when not towing.

Jerry

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have never covered mine in 9 years.
As for lube? Grease it as you hook up heading out. Return trip? Not really necessary. Be sure to use some thinner and paper towels to clean the old grease off before you apply new. Some people use the teflon lube discs and I did for a while, but finally gave up on that idea.