cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toy hauler FAQ's

Jarand
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering downsizing from our Montana 5th wheel to a toy hauler, thinking it will be suitable for several families to use. We wondered what are the things we really should watch for?

Desires:
~Pull trailer, not 5th wheel (flexibility for multiple families)
~Hauls two ATV's (Honda 680's)
~We're thinking we don't like the floor plans with the wall dividing the living space from the cargo space
~Flexibility; ability to sleep 6-8 with at least one comfortable permanent bed
~30' or so in length

What should we watch for? Advice appreciated! Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
cutty72 wrote:
micpib1 wrote:
Thank you moderator for the resize.
Our Octane has a queen size bed in the front that does not show in the photos. Odor has not been a problem within the coach... well not from the toys, haha. My drop down beds are queen width, but 8' long. I carry a memory foam pad on the upper bunk during transport and move it to the lower bed for sleep, just a little more comfort for the "old" bones. I also carry a Honda EU2000 to charge battery's and evening entertainment, I only use the on board Onan/Cummins 4000 when I run the AC and that is very rarely used.

Why the Honda? Wouldn't it be easier to just use the on board Onan?

Need to get a generator for mine, so just looking for your reasoning.

Cutty72, sorry to take so long to respond, I have not logged in recently. The Honda has two distinct advantages, major fuel savings and a lot less noise for my neighbors to listen to. JH

porkchop1221
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question... do you have smallish kids or will you be hauling anything that has gas in it? I personally like having a barrier wall (ours is a patio door) b/c it keeps the fumes from us when we have the toys in the back. Just a thought. Sorry no advise on TT toy haulers right now.
2012 GMC 3500HD, Diesel, Crew Cab Standard Bed, SRW
2013 Cyclone 3010

Toys:
Ducati 749R
Aprilia RSV4

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
micpib1 wrote:
For what itโ€™s worth, we love our Jayco Octane. 24โ€™, sleeps 8 easy, we did the โ€œSuper Seatingโ€ option that allows seating for 8-9 around the kitchen table, 2 electric beds in the garage and a built in bug screen for when the garage door is open. I did not want to give up my PU Bed, so bumper pull was our option. The TH is 8โ€™6โ€ wide, which is good for the interior space, but I notice the extra width during towing and we are 12โ€™6โ€ high at the AC. We like having the โ€œgarageโ€ as usable space when we are not hauling our toys, anyway, just a few photos of our rig. JH

Moderators Edit: Adjusted photo width to 640 pixels per the forum guidelines. The Photo FAQ's has help & tips for posting photos.

Good looking TH :C

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

TheLadyFreedom
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
MeandMyLabs wrote:
I guess my ATV must be different because I definately get a distinct gas oder if I leave it stored inside the garage for a couple of days.

What do you have? Didn't have the issue with our Toy Hauler once the kids out grew their 90cc quads.

We must have similar atv's, because in our Fuzion 305 we smell gas by the time we get to our destinations- usually 100-200 miles away, and that is with the sliding glass door closed, and usually the vents in the garage are open also.
2012 Keystone Fuzion, 2005 F350 4x4 Diesel, 2008 Fatboy, 2006 Sportster Low

Jarand
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the replies. I've learned several things to consider when we look seriously.

Are the "add a room" tent packages for the ramp available for most models?

Y-Guy
cutty72 wrote:

Friend of ours does the same thing. The Onan 4000 isn't that light on gas and it's pretty loud. He pulls out his Honda 2000 and let's it purr away, charging the batteries and things like the TV, etc. Might not pay for itself but he has other uses for it so makes sense. There are times I've thought about doing it too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like you have all your "wants" lined up, which is good. I dont know if all bumper pull TH's come with the same amenities as 5th wheel TH's, so the only thing I can think of is if I was to do it over again I'd make sure the garage floor was NOT a dovetail. Only because I liked the idea of using the garage door as a additional floor up off the dirt/sand but having the dovetail portion is minimally inconvenient. Especially if considering the tent which attaches to the door area and turns the door into additional sleeping area. Other than that.....hope you find whatever you're after. ๐Ÿ™‚

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
micpib1 wrote:
Our Octane has a queen size bed in the front that does not show in the photos. Odor has not been a problem within the coach... well not from the toys, haha. My drop down beds are queen width, but 8' long. I carry a memory foam pad on the upper bunk during transport and move it to the lower bed for sleep, just a little more comfort for the "old" bones. I also carry a Honda EU2000 to charge battery's and evening entertainment, I only use the on board Onan/Cummins 4000 when I run the AC and that is very rarely used.

Need to get a generator for mine, so just looking for your reasoning.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:

What do you have? Didn't have the issue with our Toy Hauler once the kids out grew their 90cc quads.

Same here, I've slept in mine many times with one or two bikes in the back. Can you "smell" them, sure. Does it smell like gas? No, it smells like a motorcycle. Smells a lot better than the library after I'm done reading Dirt Rider (if you know what I mean).
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Y-Guy
MeandMyLabs wrote:
I guess my ATV must be different because I definately get a distinct gas oder if I leave it stored inside the garage for a couple of days.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

MeandMyLabs
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Salem Hemisphere
2009 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 L

GT_Roach
Explorer
Explorer
We have had two toy haulers now, both open style, and have never had a gas smell anywhere in our unit. I've asked our friends and they have never had a problem either.

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer

MeandMyLabs
Explorer
Explorer
I agree the more open floor plan gives you more options and does allow more toys to be hauled. We considered that type of floor plan very closely.

We did opt to get a plan with a separate garage however, and one advantage there is the gas smell is not in your main living area. I often do not unload the ATV when returning from a hunting trip until days later and be have the separate room the oder is not an issue.

The other thing we like is when another couple joins us, it is like a separate sleeping quarters with lots of privacy. Our needs may be different than yours but this has worked well for us.
2017 Salem Hemisphere
2009 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 L