cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oops ??

BeardedUtahn
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to cry. I just drilled one hole through the side of our brand new 2021 Grand Design fifth wheel while trying to install a tv wall mount. What is the easiest and best way to repair the hole? Is the trailer a total loss. Please go easy on me.
32 REPLIES 32

Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Look at the bright side, you won't make that mistake again. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Or if you do you will know how to hide it.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

BeardedUtahn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone about the ideas. I will post my finished product.

***Link Removed***

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
think outside the box. Plug it and cover it. Put a SS bolt/screw all the way thru from the outside and leave it. Use some silicone sealer. Wipe off all the outside excess before it dries.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
One of those bullet hole decals. Good entertainment when telling your story. I have used them several times.
One a remodel an electrition accidentally drilled a hole in the side of the house. Perfect place for an outside electrical outlet.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If the hole is pushed outward use a small ball peen hammer to gently tap it back in flat. Then a small finger full of caulk and a small sticker and move on to having fun with the trailer.

As far as drilling too deep. Next time with the drill off find the depth you don't want to exceed. Wrap a small piece of masking tape around the drill bit and leave it sticking out like a small flag (picture one of those toothpicks with an American flag on it.)You'll be able to see the tape as you drill.

edit to add a youtube video link.
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had built a Dental clinic and it was in the finishing stages. The Dr asked if he could hang some paintings, I said sure!

Next day he sheepishly came to me and said I did something BAD. He drilled a nice clean 3/8" hole thru the drywall and also into the face of the Pocket door. I had some perfectly matched wood putty and filled the hole nice and smooth and then sprayed a few coats of Satin Lacquer over the area. Couldn't see it unless you were right on it. He was happy. The alternative was to RnR the door at at least $1,000.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
First, post a picture so can all give you better options.
Second, it seems new things are always destined to get their first scratch or damage. So yours is done now. Lets just find the best way to fix it.
Third, I suggest a hardening epoxy applied smoothly. Then place one of those decals on it that looks like a bullet hole. It will give you something to chat about at fuel stations and camps. Then just enjoy your new camper!
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
You could also fill the hole and put a reflector on the outside of the 5th wheel with caulk around it.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
BeardedUtahn wrote:
I am about to cry. I just drilled one hole through the side of our brand new 2021 Grand Design fifth wheel while trying to install a tv wall mount. What is the easiest and best way to repair the hole? Is the trailer a total loss. Please go easy on me.

Yes, I'm sorry to tell you that it IS a total loss. Give me your address and I'll come take it off your hands. ๐Ÿ˜‰
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Is it someplace that you could use the exterior hole to mount something else?
Maybe a light?

BeardedUtahn wrote:

Before you drive yourself crazy, ...take a deep breath... EVERYTHING is fixable....( ALMOST )

1- does it go ALL THE WAY from inside to outside?
2- what size hole?

IF the outside hole is where you need it, squeeze sealant into the hole, place the mount on the exterior wall, dab some sealant onto the screw and tighten... that SHOULD take care of the exterior hole..
And for the inside...depending on where it is -
* seal it... AND
*hang a picture....
or
*place a piece of trim over it
or
*get a piece of wallpaper that matches, cut out a small diameter piece just large enough to cover the hole..
0r
*hang a coat hanger
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
A small diameter vacuum line or a piece of shrink wrap just shorter than the bit will prevent that from happening again.
My lesson involved a new 1972 Buick Estate wagon and a roof rack install. I've never forgotten that lesson. The drill bit ate the entire headliner before I could get my finger off the trigger of the drill.
Puma 30RKSS

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Put a little sealer in it and stick on an american flag decal.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
A friend put a hole in the wall of his brand spanking new trailer backing it into his driveway for the first time.He backed into a sturdy tree branch. After much crying and pondering on how to fix it, he bought an outside lite, fastened it to the side of the trailer and it looks like it belongs there. So you can hide these mishaps in various ways.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the bright side, you won't make that mistake again. ๐Ÿ˜‰