cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to install larger fresh water tank?

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er has an advertised fresh water capacity of 54 gallons. In doing a water test this past summer, in reality it only holds ~ 36 gallons. I called Forest River and they claimed it's actually a 40 gallon tank that truly can't hold 40 gallons, the remaining water capacity is found in the 12 gallon water heater and the capacity contained within the plumbing throughout the trailer. I called BS to the FR rep, and he agreed...

That still doesn't do me much good as far as fresh water capacity. We don't dry camp much, but most parks we frequent have only electric at the sites.

Here's my question: is it possible to remove the existing 40 gallon fresh water tank, and replace with something larger? I haven't looked at the physical constraints yet (underbelly), but I have plenty of CCC in the 5er for additional water, and would structurally support it as required. I've seen up to 96 gallon fresh water tanks - again, not sure if it would even fit yet.

I searched the forum to see if this topic has been addressed before, and did not come up with anything.

Has anyone swapped out their fresh water tank for a larger one? Thanks!
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI
30 REPLIES 30

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a blue food-safe 55 gallon plastic drum for $10. It travels with me when we boondock, and my on-board water pump will refill the tank from it when set to the "winterize" position. Very useful when camping at a festival.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
After pulling down the coroplast I noticed that the trusses were spaced approximately four feet apart between the I-beams. And several of those bays, the space between adjacent trusses, were not being utilized. I added another fresh water tank of 42 gallons, and tied it into the existing plumbing, while adding a separate fill and vent line. It works fine.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

24v
Explorer
Explorer
kep5niner wrote:

^^^^ That is the concept I have in mind, or at least replacing the tank in my underbelly. Thank you for posting that information.

It is my low budget version. 🙂

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^ That is the concept I have in mind, or at least replacing the tank in my underbelly. Thank you for posting that information.
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI

24v
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few quick pictures of the larger tank install. I know it isn't the most economical solution, but I don't want to have to pack any extra containers and have to deal with filling it up when low. This way I can fill it before I leave my house, and not worry.

Original 20 gallon tank under the bed, next to the flip up storage.

New 50 gallon tank vs old 20 gallon tank.

New tank in place, barely fits.

BTW, for those saying this is too much of a pain in the ass, if I was not doing the grey water recycle system I would have literally had to buy this tank, and a few fittings from Home Depot as the fill is a different type of fitting. So I had to remove a divider, pull the old tank, buy a new fitting for the fill, and put it back in. Not a pita at all. Obviously this will very by trailer, just my experience.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
kep5niner wrote:

I searched the forum to see if this topic has been addressed before, and did not come up with anything.

Has anyone swapped out their fresh water tank for a larger one? Thanks!

Addressed before:
You prob didn't find any threads for that mod, as it's too much of a PITA. Owners reach this conclusion.......
Easier to add capacity via portable tank/s -or- a second tank mounted "somewhere" and pump from aux to main tank.

Regarding "search" - did you also check the archives? Standard search is for one year (only).

BTW - always "made do" with what I had, and as many have already said,
- unless boondocking (dry) - never been in a campground without access to water....either at the site, or somewhere in the campground.

Years ago with TTs camping in state parks, nat'l forest, etc. I carried 3 fifty foot sections of cheapie hose and a water thief.
Connect, fill, disconnect - during "quiet" times.

Good luck with your plans and/or water conservation!

🙂

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I had same issue on my last trailer. So I went and bought a 25gallon fresh water drum. Stands in the back of the truck perfect. I just bought a small pump and when I was low just filled from the truck. works great and also bought a valve that I can open both grey waters and they fill together. Then close the valve and drain black followed by the grey. I cpould go all weekend at a track or event with out fillinf from tanker

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Look into some poly or polyethylene tanks for the back of your truck.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
After pricing some of these tanks, I'll just buy another 7 gallon jug to go with the one I already have and call it good. Man they are expensive.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
There was someone on here who added an aux water tank to a passport TT. They ran lines into the original tank. I think he put it under a bunk bed.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
6 Gallon cans are $13/each at Wally World. I carry a few of these with me when I'm dry camping and it works out great.... with pretty minimal effort.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Desert-Patrol-6-Gal-Water-Jug/16537207

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RossAnabel wrote:
24v wrote:
I am ready to do the exact same thing, but on a much smaller trailer. I have a Hideout 177LHS and it only came with a 20 gallon fresh water tank. I sourced a 52 gallon tank to replace it. My grey and black are 30 each, so I am putting in an extra pump that will use grey water to flush the toilet. The combination of these 2 mods should give us quite a bit more usable fresh water.

Sounds like a good idea, use the water twice. I'm disappointed with the black tank setup in my 5r in that the 35 gallon tank is in its own compartment that's big enough for a 80 gallon tank.

And, my rig is O-L-D, well beyond any warranty, so I have no qualms about making modifications.

The smallish black tanks on the Jayco Eagle HTs is why they are #2 on my short list. I'd be giving up 13 gallons over my current FW, and I've d@mn-near filled it a couple times over the years on long weekends.

I =still= can't figure out why no major RV mfrs have a "boondock" or "backcountry" option package available, at least on their smaller rigs. Larger tanks, heavier/taller suspension, more batteries, factory-installed solar...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RossAnabel
Explorer
Explorer
24v wrote:
I am ready to do the exact same thing, but on a much smaller trailer. I have a Hideout 177LHS and it only came with a 20 gallon fresh water tank. I sourced a 52 gallon tank to replace it. My grey and black are 30 each, so I am putting in an extra pump that will use grey water to flush the toilet. The combination of these 2 mods should give us quite a bit more usable fresh water.

Sounds like a good idea, use the water twice. I'm disappointed with the black tank setup in my 5r in that the 35 gallon tank is in its own compartment that's big enough for a 80 gallon tank.

And, my rig is O-L-D, well beyond any warranty, so I have no qualms about making modifications.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I have friends with 5th wheel campers that camp with us at Nascar events and they carry 55gal plastic barrels and 12volt pumps so they can carry more fresh water which I think would be easier than replacing an existing tank. Again as other posters have said your gray water tank will probably be the first to fill up, course I have seen people drain their gray water with a garden hose during the nite in order to gain capacity. All those reasons are why I prefer toy haulers with bigger tanks...and of course the fact that I use the garage.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP