cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with dump tank handles

vickark
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2012 crossroads cruiser 5th wheel has dump valve handles in the storage area. They are very hard to pull open. I don't know if the problem is in the valve itself or possibly in the remote cable between the valve and the pull handle.
I've tried spraying lubricant in the area behind the handle when I have it in the open position.
Has anyone else encountered this problem and know of any remedies for this.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
James & Pam
Terra (cairn terrier)
2011 F350 superduty 4X4 Lariat 6.7
2012 Crossroads Cruiser patriot CF 335SS
15 REPLIES 15

RWalt
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar issues. Our dealer re routed the cables through the frame of the unit. Basically this made it a straight shot with 18 inches of cable vs the 4 ft that went in a 270 degree circle. I requested that a small door be installed for easy access.
2013 Ford CC SB 4X4 6.7
50 gal Titan fuel cell
2013 Alpine 3495

tallpall888
Explorer
Explorer
My 06 Alfa See Ya Gold had two electric valves for the two gray water tanks (one for the bath/washing machine area, the other for the kitchen) when I bought it in '08. Curiously the black water tank had a recently installed manual handle, the electric switch for black tank disabled. Didn't realize my good luck at the time but the manual arrangement allowed a direct shot to the outside wall of the water control compartment, so the handle for the black tank was just a rod that went directly to the valve...no cable involved.
About five years ago both electric valves failed. I decided to order replacement assemblies and put them in myself.
Getting the new assemblies....they come with a tube of heavy grease you are supposed to tuck into and on various areas of the slide plate. And thinking to myself, this grease isn't much heavier than than the actual **** that will be swooshing past it....how long will this last?
Sure enough, four years later both these electric valves failed. Right now, since they are gray water, I am just leaving them in the stuck open position as I have a flush system for the black water. Thinking of leaving them that way as not having any odor problem.
The black water manual valve is still working great.
But if I were to replace the electrics I would definitely go to some sort of manual system for these two tanks, even if it means having to use cable.

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I have had sticky values before. I have had cables that I lubricated with silicone and that sometimes solved the problem. It took a lot of silicone and then operating the cables a few times to make sure the silicone got set. Also the blades on the values need to be lubricated also. I have had success with cooking oil. Empty your tanks and drop a couple of gallons of any generic brand cooking oil down the tank and let it sit. If you are able for a day or two. When you dump the oil work the value to make sure the oil gets into the gasket. If all that fails you may have to replace the cables and or valves.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem w our Cedar Creek (2011 model). The black water tank valve was very hard to open. I tried to get an RV tech replace the black water tank valve with a new one. He really didn't want to. So he replaced the cables, and the valve now work fine.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
man i feel for you. My 2010 Laredo was the same way.

I wound up replacing all three with the Valtera off amazon.

All has been well for 3 years. I should have not said that, we are going to hit the road the first week of next year. :R

Shrek51
Explorer
Explorer
I had problems with my dump tank handles. I have a 2010 34' Freedom Spirit by Dutchman.

When my unit was built it was the model series end, and they put parts that were laying around and out of date or damaged.:M

I had all handles replace under extended warranty and now they all pull smooth as silk.:)

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, done that.

If you are doing the work yourself, check the cables *first*.

You will have to access the valves no matter what you do, so it's
part of the project anyway.

You *may* find that the factory cable installation is (very) sloppy,
which -over time- may cause a kink in the cable. (I did).
The cable "run" on the black valve was very poorly designed - but
simple to correct (with a new cable and proper routing).

BTW - once a cable kinks, no amount of lubrication will *fix* it..:(

Disconnect the cable at both ends, the pull handle -and- at the valve.

Open and close the valve (at the valve) to see if it works freely.
If it doesn't - you *do* have a valve problem.

However, if the valve moves freely, you obviously have a *cable* problem - (which should also be readily apparent)
AND.... you can save a lot of time and effort by *NOT* replacing a valve that is just fine.

Another BTW - electric valves fail also...:(

~

vickark
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
I just recently replaced my cable operated valves with Barker electric operators, no more problems. The Barkers were only $30 more than the cables.

thanks, I may look into the barker valve setup. All 3 of my handles are very hard to open.
Thanks for all the info.
Happy Trails !
James & Pam
Terra (cairn terrier)
2011 F350 superduty 4X4 Lariat 6.7
2012 Crossroads Cruiser patriot CF 335SS

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Same problem with my 2012 Cruiser.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:
As stated, the problem could be either valves, or cables. I had a ckass C with similar problems, and I ewplaced the valve. To me, the problrm, is getting the valve correctly installed, from the factory that valve was a little off, which made it sticky, and it eventually fail. Taking the time to align it correctly and it was as smooth as silk. Ny $0.02 would be check the valve, you could have a similar situation.

x2

I found once the handle starts giving you trouble pulling in or out the valves are in need of replacing OR there is something stuck in them.

The blades are 'very' then. A small piece of toilet paper, etc, stuck on where they slide up and down will cause problems. I always check that before replacing the valve blade.

Drain your tanks and get a toilet brush or any brush with a long handle and open the main cover and then open the valve blade and take the brush and run it around the opening to clear out any debris that might be stuck where the blade slides. This sometimes will clear up the hard to push in valve handles.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

fuzzdr
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with my 2013 Cruiser. A couple of weeks after having changed the black valve and cable with a new one, it happened again. Enough, so I swapped the valve and cable for an electric setup. The other thing I did was to add an extra valve just inboard of the dumping cap. I did this when the manual valve first started leaking. For the past few months, there have been no more black valve problems. Touch wood............

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, the problem could be either valves, or cables. I had a ckass C with similar problems, and I ewplaced the valve. To me, the problrm, is getting the valve correctly installed, from the factory that valve was a little off, which made it sticky, and it eventually fail. Taking the time to align it correctly and it was as smooth as silk. Ny $0.02 would be check the valve, you could have a similar situation.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just recently replaced my cable operated valves with Barker electric operators, no more problems. The Barkers were only $30 more than the cables.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I have always ridden dirt bikes and found this gadget to be handy for cables.

Easy cable lube