cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about 5th wheel rail clearance with Andersen Hitch

philaura
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Genesis 32CR Fifth Wheel Toyhauler pulled by a 2017 Chevy 3500 LTZ CC 4x4 dually. We like to go Boondocking where we can ride our four wheelers. While going from a gravel road to a campsite we often encounter rough, bumpy roads with ruts. My Andersen Hitch allows almost lots of side to side articulating of the trailer on the ball, where a regular side to side fifth wheel hitch limits the side to side articulation because the hitch plate side to side motion is limited. So in a nutshell - I am concerned about the side rails of my truck coming in contact with the bottom of the fifth wheel cap overhang. By the way, I'm not giving up my Andersen Hitch. I am an old fart who would much rather lift a 35 pound hitch than a 150 pound hitch out of the truck.

I have read where some folks reverse their Andersen Hitch in the truck so the hitch point is closer to the cab, claiming that this results in more clearance between the truck bed rails and the bottom of the fifth wheel front overhang.

Is this really true? Can you increase the bed rail clearance just by reversing the Andersen Hitch where their hitch ball is closer to the cab? I have taken a tape measure out to the truck and imagined the truck and trailer at a ninety degree angle, and I can not for the life of me determine how moving your trailer turning point closer to the cab will result in more clearance. Can anyone explain to me how this is possible????

Idahotruckman
2017 Genesis Supreme 32CR toyhauler pulled by a 2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 CC 4x4 LTZ Dually longbed with an Anderson Hitch.
7 REPLIES 7

philaura
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all that answered my question. I am going to turn the pin adapter around and see if the rail clearance is better. It suddenly dawned on me how it would make the pin box farther away from the bed rails during sharp turns.
I converted from 16 inch tires and wheels to 19.5 commercial trailer tires and wheels (75 mph rated) that bolted right on the lugs. The package raised the entire trailer about one inch, and the front is a little low.
I have the ball stem on the Andersen at the highest position, and the stem is beginning to have some play in it.
When all the machines are in and the fresh water tank and gas tank is full, and all the camping **** is in the storage bin, I am sitting right about 15,000. I had to make an emergency stop from 60 mph, and it didn't even phase the hitch.
Again, thank you very much for answering my question. and responding to this post. You folks are the BEST!
2017 Genesis Supreme 32CR toyhauler pulled by a 2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 CC 4x4 LTZ Dually longbed with an Anderson Hitch.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
slapshot12 wrote:
Donโ€™t turn the hitch itself around in the bed, turn the adapter on the pin around on the pin so itโ€™s behind the pin. This moves the trailer slightly forward in the bed, and away from the bed rails. In my set up below, I have about 6โ€ of clearance between the bed rail and 5er, but also have plenty of clearance from the inside of the bed rails, even with a Roll n Lock bed cover.

Since this moves the 5er forward, be careful when backing up to hook up so your tailgate doesnโ€™t hit the front of the 5er. I have about 8โ€ in between, so I make sure to back up straight and donโ€™t back up too far.

I agree that adapter block position is the first adjustment, when I got mine 5 years ago or so, Andersen said I could reverse the frame as well. So, you get 4 separate adjustments between adapter block and frame position.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t turn the hitch itself around in the bed, turn the adapter on the pin around on the pin so itโ€™s behind the pin. This moves the trailer slightly forward in the bed, and away from the bed rails. In my set up below, I have about 6โ€ of clearance between the bed rail and 5er, but also have plenty of clearance from the inside of the bed rails, even with a Roll n Lock bed cover.

Since this moves the 5er forward, be careful when backing up to hook up so your tailgate doesnโ€™t hit the front of the 5er. I have about 8โ€ in between, so I make sure to back up straight and donโ€™t back up too far.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
rotating the Andersen will change the tailgate to trailer clearance, as well as the cap to back of cab, as noted above. Bed rail clearance can be changed with the 3 position ball.

I have mine set on the lowest ball setting, which gives me about 6" clearance at the bed rails. I've not come close to contacting the bed with the 5er, and I get off-road a bit for hunting and ATVing.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a Andersen but from what I've read those that have a Andersen talk about turning the hitch head around gave them more tailgate clearance.

I would give the folks at Andersen a 1-800 and ask them your questions.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

shoelessjon
Explorer
Explorer
I have Genesis 28CR I am towing with a Ram 3500 Mega. I have no issues with clearance. Coming from a Pullrite, I had reservations but so far I had no limitations. The other thing is that the Genesis sits a little higher now and levels out the trailer with the Anderson.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, but we LOVE our Anderson, too. Mainly, for the fact that DH can pick it up by himself and either of our daughters (14 and 11) can carry it over and put it in storage.

Have you tried searching on YOUTUBE?
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW