cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question concerning condensation

BARRY2010
Explorer
Explorer
I went to check on the camper this morning and noticed that there was some condensation inside the camper. Here is the details. The camper stays parked underneath a covered shed - I have the roof vents raised and the side windows are rolled out about 1 inch so that air can circulate throughout the camper. The lows here have been around 40-45 and the highs around 55. Granted we do have high humidity right now. My question is - should I leave the camper open ( windows rolled out and roof vents raised ) or would it be better for me to completely close it up tight since it is under a covered shed ? I'm going to get a bucket of damp rid to go inside of it also to see if that helps. Thanks for any input or suggestions.
12 REPLIES 12

stteardrop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your insight and experience! I have watched a ton of videos on the internet about others and what they found when they tackled the insulation. Some had none at all, some had insulation that had lost its position, and some insulation was very thin/slight. I have seen how they did insulation installs themselves, but the problem is they only start the video after the shell has been removed, or when the initial problem was water damage, after the walls were removed. I have very little insight on how they removed those vital parts. It is an older 5th wheel and I want to believe that improving the insulation is possible. I'm trying to find a carpenter in the area to see if they have some suggestions. The local RV place wants me to bring it in, but we spent a lot of hard work and materials on constructing the skirting and making cold-friendly plumbing PVC as the drain pipe on the tanks. Breaking it all down is breaking my heart! LOL It has been a learning experience thus far and definitely not for the faint-hearted, comfort-loving, lazy person. I just really want to believe there is a way to reconstruct this rig into a cold-tolerant living space. ANY warnings or suggestions would be appreciated, no matter how seemingly insignificant.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm asking this 5th wheel to do what it was never designed to do, but I'm in it now.

IMO you answered your own question.
Your not going to "stuff" more insulation under the shell as you call it. It is what it is.

The wife and I lived in our 27' 5er one winter. Condensation was a huge issue in the areas you mention. Our condensation didn't freeze as zero temps here don't stay that cold for long periods.
We tried running 3 fans to move air around. Made a cold drafty camper and still had condensation problems.

We tried cracking vents and/or windows and boy did that ever create more cold drafts in 15-20 temps and 35-40 mph winds. That did nothing for our condensation.

I did skirt the unit with mobilehome skirting which helped with heating issues. I also made inside window covers from 1/8" Lexan which helped more than anything on keeping it warm in the trailer but still had severe sweating issues.
Finally bought two big dehumidifiers and within 3 days our sweating problems were gone.

Heating and cooking with LP creates moisture. I see where some folks switch heating and cooking over to natural gas when available, which they say helped a lot.
Many times a RV/mobilhome parts stores near you that deals with thin walls in a RV or older mobilehome and cold temps can help. Or other folks that use their RV as a home while working contract in that area may have some ideas for ya'. Good luck
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

stteardrop
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they had a separate category for those who winter RV in places like North Dakota!! My 2nd winter here in an RV and ice intrusion is killing me!!! I know that part of the problem is lack of overall insulation. The front of the 5th wheel is the worst. Ice in every bedroom cabinet. I do keep the ceiling vent open slightly. I have to because I run a Mr Heater part of the time. Doesn't help though. I have tried keeping the bedroom closed off, but I think that makes it worse because there is a large gap on the bottom of the sliding door that cannot be covered. I tried 1/4-inch foam board covered with Reflectix and that just allowed the cold to turn the Reflectix into its own condenser. I tried larger foamboard on the inside, but lost all my cabinet space. It did help reduce the ice though. I need to get real insulation under the shell, but I'm afraid to tamper with the shell. Is there anyone who could advise me on how to get the job done, who to hire, can I do it myself by breaking down and replacing the cabinets and walls? So many questions and so little insight. I know I'm asking this 5th wheel to do what it was never designed to do, but I'm in it now. I would like a smaller bed than a queen and the cabinets are too short to hang anything but the shortest shirts. I could use a remodel, so I'm not afraid to break down the cabinets. Just afraid to break down the walls or the shell. I need advice!!

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
probably most of your problem is just from air not circulating enough. Before I spent money on a dehumidifier I would probably just put a box fan in it like it sits now to move the air around inside it.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here in northeastern NC our fiver was doing the same thing. It is under a shelter and I noticed that even with the vents open there was high humidity inside. I started using a small electric dehumidifier along with a tub of damp rid. That eliminated all the condensation problems and it does a great job. The fiver is closed up tight. The tub of damp rid is overkill but I had rather do too much than not enough. The humidifier runs 24/7.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
If you have power at the shed, or can get it there, a dehumidifier is your best bet. It's probably a good idea in Georgia, year round.

Are you going lock up the camper tight? Otherwise you will be trying to dehumidify all of Georgia.

I would be tempted to use a fan to move air through the 5ver. Condensation occurs when warm damp air moves over cold surfaces. Moving air through the 5ver would keep the temperatures closer.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
OOps-misread
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
You could also try a small elec heater and see if it will keep the inside temp above the dew point. Open all the closet and cabinet doors. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't get the biggest dehumidifier but a medium sized one. If you have power at your location set it on a counter with a drain hose and let it drip into your sink.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

SH
Explorer
Explorer
An electric dehumidifier would be the most effective but when our rig is in storage I use two Dri-Z-Air'sand a Davis dehumidifier. The Davis is maintenance free. The Dri-Z-Airs do have to be dumped and replenished but they can't overflow. We are currently at 90% humidity and no apparent moisture issues.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have power at the shed, or can get it there, a dehumidifier is your best bet. It's probably a good idea in Georgia, year round.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I would go buy the biggest dehumidifier I could find, close it up and run it 24/7. But thats me and what I do