Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rig turn around time

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all

Since we took the dive for a new 5iver it seems easier to get going.
I type this because seemingly less time is spent making preparations to hitch and roll.

Maybe the type of outing has a bit to do with the shorter "turn around"
We really don't haul a lot or set-up a lot at the destination.

The old trailer always needed something coming and going.
Our former fiver was harder to clean, always had a leak somewhere etc...
Prepping the old-timer seemed to take 3 days for some reason.
The newbie is ready in one day somehow.

This last trip from the campsite we were packed and on the road in 2 1/2 hours (insert huge grin)

I was curious as to how much time you good folks of RV.NET take to get and go.

Any tips from the community for speeding up take-off time?
13 REPLIES 13

jbmoo
Explorer
Explorer
we just started fifth wheeling too. leaving home takes about 20 minutes, since dw has about everything except backing under and raising landing gear done. do a light check and test pull and we're off. just a stop at a grocery store on the way. i have a little more to do coming home, but mostly do the outside stuff and she does the inside stuff. when we get home and unhook the real work starts ...for both of us. but its all good.
jbmoo
2013 ram 2500 cummins
2004 hr savoy

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
This past weekend was a good example. From morning coffee to butt in driver seat was just under 60 minutes. That included dumping all waste tanks, hooking up, pull test, 5er & TV light check, double checking hook up list, to driving away. No fuss or stress, just sad to be leaving a beautiful campground (Bar Harbor C/G). Wife does inside and I do outside. We both go over final check list. Works for us.

Lakeside

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
highlife4me1 wrote:
Our RV is also setup like a house. Even most of the clothes, wash after a camping trip and they go right back in. Usually just a quick trip to the store and hook up and go. Usually sitting in my chair with a cold one within 30-40 minutes of backing in. When leaving we try to pack as much up the night before we leave and usually about a half hour and we are ready to leave. I have seen other groups so unorganized that some are "still" setting up while others are "already" packing up to go.

X2!

We do 95% of the setup AFTER the trip,we have four days worth of cloths in the 5er at all time, laundry the day after return, propane refilled that day or next. We only need to pack perishable food and start the refer (the night before).
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
The main thing is having your storage areas designated.

Yes, yes still working on it 🙂
I think a few more trips out and we'll have things aimed better.
We've never been excessively organized RVer's
Since realizing we don't need to "haul the world" with us departures are much quicker.

I still need to get some clear plastic stack containers for the pass thru.

We went from a TT that had a decent from cargo area to our current 5'er. While shorter it has the two front storage areas that combined is twice what the TT was. Also there's an outside storage area on the slide that's pretty big. Having those bigger cargo areas really helped. No more stacking stuff on stuff. Made it easier to organize.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
The main thing is having your storage areas designated.

Yes, yes still working on it 🙂
I think a few more trips out and we'll have things aimed better.
We've never been excessively organized RVer's
Since realizing we don't need to "haul the world" with us departures are much quicker.

I still need to get some clear plastic stack containers for the pass thru.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
With my wife doing the inside and me doing the outside, we can leave the CG in under 30 mins easy. The main thing is having your storage areas designated.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thats_Ok wrote:

This last trip from the campsite we were packed and on the road in 2 1/2 hours (insert huge grin)

In an emergency, from watching sat. TV to pulling out of the CG, a total of 15 min.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
Just have to load up food and clothes - everything else is always in the rig - house on wheels.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We usually allow a week to get ready - load the toys, clothes, food, tools, check the tires, truck check, etc.

Obviously we don't "weekend camp". 🙂

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
I think the DW is finally realizing that starting earlier is much easier on both of us.

It's never fun to arrive behind my schedule or in the dark 😞
I like to get there at check-in or a little early.

Getting old seems to gimme a little push to get going faster...maybe...I guess...

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
The only items to pack for us are clothes, food and bikes. 1 to 2 hours night before and in the morning back under the fiver, test pull and off we go. Setting up and breaking down camp is 30 to 45 minutes. This morning we were packed up and heading home before our neighboring camper had even hooked up his TT. In our trailer everything has a home so when breaking camp everyone knows what goes where, much easier. Now, if everyone would quit parking their trucks in the road we can get out even quicke. Travel on.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

highlife4me1
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV is also setup like a house. Even most of the clothes, wash after a camping trip and they go right back in. Usually just a quick trip to the store and hook up and go. Usually sitting in my chair with a cold one within 30-40 minutes of backing in. When leaving we try to pack as much up the night before we leave and usually about a half hour and we are ready to leave. I have seen other groups so unorganized that some are "still" setting up while others are "already" packing up to go.
2006 F150 SCrew
2012 Jayco 23.5RBS

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
We set up the 5r as a 2nd house meaning everything is there except some cloths and perishable food items. When I take off I just want to grab a couple of items and be gone. As for set up time; my goal is to be in my favorite chair within 30 minutes of backing in. We have watch some people show up on Thursday to set the camper on site and then come back Friday with a truck full of bikes, kids and grills. They seem to spend the whole weekend packing and unpacking. I get tired just watching. Over the 4th we watched a family show up with a U-Haul and set up a tent city. Took them a few hours to set it all up.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.