cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Toppers

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
I am struggling with the decision to purchase/install slide toppers. While I see the benefits, I also see issues with sagging, standing water, wind tearing the thing apart, and the cost. I need three toppers and it looks like a decent quality product will set me back around $1000. I read many of the forums on this subject but they seem a bit dated. I am wondering if things have changed in today's world of slide toppers.
30 REPLIES 30

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Our 2010 didn't come with them so we had them installed, and wouldn't have a trailer without them. No leaf blowers, no ladders, no long handled brooms, no worries. They keep the slides cooler in the sun, and if the rain puddles in them who cares? Any flapping they do in heavy winds is unnoticed. One of the best things you can buy.

What do you do when it's raining and the toppers are covered with pine needles or leaves when retracting the slides?
Nothing.

The rain and pine needles are outside, and stay outside when retracting the slide, unlike what happens when you don't have slide toppers.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Our 2010 didn't come with them so we had them installed, and wouldn't have a trailer without them. No leaf blowers, no ladders, no long handled brooms, no worries. They keep the slides cooler in the sun, and if the rain puddles in them who cares? Any flapping they do in heavy winds is unnoticed. One of the best things you can buy.

What do you do when it's raining and the toppers are covered with pine needles or leaves when retracting the slides?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if things have changed in today's world of slide toppers.

Kinda looks like things have not changed. :W I have always been a non topper guy and don't pan to change. However that does not mean that you should join my side.

Have fun out there.

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have had them on 3 5ers and wouldnโ€™t be without them. We were just in a brutal storm in Galveston โ€ฆ. And they did make a lot of noise, but the trailer was rocking and the other noise from the storm was just as bothersome. My point โ€“ in normal wind they do not bother me, in terrible storms I do hear them flapping, but I also hear all the other noise from the storm.

And I firmly believe they keep the slide room cooler in the hot Texas heat and they cetainly keep off the elements of weather, bird poop, dust etc.
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is to buy the rig without them. They can always be added by a decent RV shop if you decide the benefits outweigh the negatives.
I would never be without them.
Do people really climb onto the roof and blow the debris off the slide everytime they move on? Also, how does one avoid blowing the debris onto the rig next to you? Does blowing really get all the water off?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We will always have them.

Keeps debris and stuff off the slide.

Keeps the sun off the top of the slide and off the seal as well.

Why anyone would want the sun beating down on your seals and slides like that is a mystery to me. If the sun tears up the slide topper over the years, what do you think it would do to your slide and seal?
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Had them on one RV the last two have not had them, I will never own them again.

Once was enough for us.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Texas_Flash
Explorer
Explorer
I have an intense dislike(hate is a little strong) of the ones on our rig. The flapping in the wind and water ponding are particularly annoying. To each his own, but if I wasn't so lazy Id get up there and take em down.
Mike and Marian
2014 Dynamax Trilogy Touring
2017 Ford F-350 King Ranch DRW
4x4,

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Guess the opinions are 50-50. This is are 2nd coach. 1st one didn't have them and gal at factory told me when I was asking a ton of questions (being our 1st ever RV), she said if I was considering them ,she would have tried talking me out of it. Thus each time we went out, had to climb up and brush all 3 slides off. Ordered them w/ new coach which has 4 slides and all 4 have toppers. Love 'em. Cannot fully answer about them flapping in the wind. Do sag some cuz when you bring them in after a rainstorm, you learn where to stand and close main door to coach.. I like the idea of installing them in such a fashion that they have a tilt/angle to begin with so water will run off. Have heard too where you can put a beach ball under them to create a Teepee effect. Just don't know how you get the ball out (or in for that matter).

In the end, it's your call.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had them on one RV the last two have not had them, I will never own them again.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had slide toppers on almost all of my units. Yes, I would do it again.
If they stretch, they do flap..bad. But, if you get the water off after a rain, they hold up for a long time. I used to take a long handled paint roller and just walk down the side of my motorhome and the water came off. My next door neighbor brings his slides in after each rain and the water dumps off. His unit is at least 4 years old and they look great.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We have them for two reasons.
First, we camp under trees a lot and it keeps all the needles and debris out of the seals.
Secondly, they're a big help with heat coming through the roof of the S/O.

I suspect the problems with sagging in rain is the result of the super cheapo units some factory units get (like Northwood). These are units that aren't even available for sale to the general public. Only a manufacturer can buy this lousy of a product. I am certain I will have to replace them some day.

I installed the cheapest Carefree on our last RV and never had any sagging issues even during torrential rains.

After having it both ways, I would absolutely install them again.

A suggestion; Install the awnings so they have the most possible pitch.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with you jbrack. I'd like to have toppers also but hesitate because for my 4 slides, it would be quite expensive. For now, I'll just clean them off with my battery powered leaf blower when we go camping.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been on my fiver since day one. Thats like since 2005. Last fall I replaced the material on all three for less than 500 dollars. IMHO they are one of the best investments for an RV possible. Mo water, debris coming in and cooler interior on hot days. We spend one winter in the Columbia river gorge, known for high winds. To stop worry about them I bought three 4 inch wide tow straps, over the toppers and secured them with 1 inch ratchet straps. No fuss and they held up just fine.