cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Lost

rdmotex3
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all I have read,and read, and read but it seems you can slice the argument whatever way fits your setup best. I just signed docs on a Reflection 367 and am waiting to set up an appointment for the walk through. I have a 2020 F-250 King Ranch 6.7 diesel that I am concerned is not enough truck for the trailer I have picked. Anyone have any experience here? Thanks in advance.
58 REPLIES 58

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy a Travel Trailer, foot for foot it will have a lot less weight going against your payload then a fifth wheel.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well said, go Barney!:)

Jerry

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
I've been reading about the doom and gloom of lawsuits for being overweight etc for years on this forum. I have yet to see a single post citing where it was leveraged in a liability suit. Not saying it doesn't happen but I've never seen anyone prove it despite the numerous claims. Willful negligence is very difficult to prove especially in an accident where so many other factors are involved. It usually comes down to failure to avoid an accident rather than willful negligence based on equipment. It would have to be pretty gross negligence. Any attorney worth his salt will take the path of least resistance and pick a strategy that is more easily understandable by a jury. I would imagine being slightly over your payload is never the primary cause of an accident for 3/4 and 1T trucks towing FW's. I encourage anyone to provide a case where this happened and put some teeth to this argument that continually shows up on this forum.

That said, numbers don't lie. If you run the numbers on the truck and trailer loaded for travel, they will tell you if you are overweight. And that's a factual and mechanical approach. Your equipment could fail or at least accelerate it's demise and performance could be affected. Is it the end of the world? No. I see clearly overloaded PU trucks daily leaving Big box stores.

The F250 and F350 are pretty identical with the exception of payload. You can buy add on equipment that is OEM that pretty much makes a 250 into a 350 with upgraded springs etc. It's a factory option - which always has me question the purpose of the F250 in the first place. Same price, can make the same capacity, etc. To each his own.

In it's current state with the current FW, loaded for travel, Your combination you are proposing appears to be overweight.

You can take remedies to try and compensate. Look at a smaller FW, get the proper springs, get a new truck, or roll the dice. Those are really your only options.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:

Why keep bring up commercial law when it does not apply to private use of a light truck?

Ken

Probably because people keep making statements as if it does.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Op says his door sticker states just over 2200 lbs of capacity. Old biscuit wrote the 5ers wet pin is/should be 3200 lbs. My guess the truck itself weighs around (don't recall seeing OP's set up) 8500. If that's the case, legally only has 1500 lb avail for extra being it's a 10,000 GVW truck. So assume for a moment we use OB's numbers along w/ an assumed truck weight. 8500 + 3200 = 11,700 which according to my fingers and tows puts him over the trucks GVW by 1,700 lbs. Shoot, that's actually over a 350's GVW of 11,500 by 200#.

The truck makers GVWR or a GVWR based payload or the GVWR payload sticker isn't used to determine a overloaded truck. Nor do we face lawsuits for exceeding the truck makers GVWR.
Lawsuits regarding exceeding the mfg GVWR....RV internet myth. It doesn't happen on the commercial side so why is it just someone pulling their rv trailer that faces law suits for exceeding a GVWR.

Any theories why ??

Having pulled commercially with LDT size trucks civil lawsuits do happen to those in this line of work that our overloaded truck/trailer caused a accident...but the vehicles GVWR isn't used to determine that overload condition.

Why keep bring up commercial law when it does not apply to private use of a light truck?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
JIMNLIN wrote:
Op says his door sticker states just over 2200 lbs of capacity. Old biscuit wrote the 5ers wet pin is/should be 3200 lbs. My guess the truck itself weighs around (don't recall seeing OP's set up) 8500. If that's the case, legally only has 1500 lb avail for extra being it's a 10,000 GVW truck. So assume for a moment we use OB's numbers along w/ an assumed truck weight. 8500 + 3200 = 11,700 which according to my fingers and tows puts him over the trucks GVW by 1,700 lbs. Shoot, that's actually over a 350's GVW of 11,500 by 200#.

The truck makers GVWR or a GVWR based payload or the GVWR payload sticker isn't used to determine a overloaded truck. Nor do we face lawsuits for exceeding the truck makers GVWR.
Lawsuits regarding exceeding the mfg GVWR....RV internet myth. It doesn't happen on the commercial side so why is it just someone pulling their rv trailer that faces law suits for exceeding a GVWR.

Any theories why ??

Having pulled commercially with LDT size trucks civil lawsuits do happen to those in this line of work that our overloaded truck/trailer caused a accident...but the vehicles GVWR isn't used to determine that overload condition.

actualy it is in Canada, the trailers GVWR is also used to decide what endorsment you need on your licence in some provences aswell.

also if you are an american towing in BC and you are overloaded by the GVWR if you get stoppped you can be fined and made to disconect and have to get your trailer towed. I have even seen them make people who are double towing disconect and tow the trailer and boat one at a time back to the boarder as thats against the law here also.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:
Shoot, that's actually over a 350's GVW of 11,500 by 200#.

The GVWR on my crew cab long box diesel SRW is 12,300.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Stick a set of 3500 springs on that 2500.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would pull it home, and go trade your truck for a F-350 Dually, or get a shorter, and lighter FW.
You need the stability of a drw with a 41' FW.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
rdmotex3 wrote:
...I very much appreciate the discussion as I am trying to make the most informed decision possible.
Really? Just trying to make the most informed decision possible? Because you seemed to be informed why back on page one.
rdmotex3 wrote:
...The sticker in the door says 2214? That mean I'm not even close. As I understand it my set up with a 3.31 axle could tow 14,100 but because of the pin weight of ~3,000# I would be over before I ever put it in drive?...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My factory air bags are basically what supports my 6,000# pin and 9,750# RAW.

Your suspension is quite a bit different than a leaf spring setup with added aftermarket air bags. The leaf springs control not only vertical loads, but helps with side to side as well. Replacing soft leaf springs with stiffer helps a bit with control in all directions. I use air bags to restore height but I would change the leaves if a considerable amount of additional support is needed.

I am betting one could remove overloads and add bags and do just fine.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Any theories why ??

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the last sentence of ACLZ's analysis.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My factory air bags are basically what supports my 6,000# pin and 9,750# RAW.

Your suspension is quite a bit different than a leaf spring setup with added aftermarket air bags. The leaf springs control not only vertical loads, but helps with side to side as well. Replacing soft leaf springs with stiffer helps a bit with control in all directions. I use air bags to restore height but I would change the leaves if a considerable amount of additional support is needed.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Op says his door sticker states just over 2200 lbs of capacity. Old biscuit wrote the 5ers wet pin is/should be 3200 lbs. My guess the truck itself weighs around (don't recall seeing OP's set up) 8500. If that's the case, legally only has 1500 lb avail for extra being it's a 10,000 GVW truck. So assume for a moment we use OB's numbers along w/ an assumed truck weight. 8500 + 3200 = 11,700 which according to my fingers and toes puts him over the trucks GVW by 1,700 lbs. Shoot, that's actually over a 350's GVW of 11,500 by 200#.

IMO OP, yes your truck can pull it, but legally if you ever get into a wreck w/ another vehicle, some sue happy att'y will go after you tooth and nail. May have to either look at a different RV or swallow hard and get a 1 ton truck too.

Let me give you a personal experience. Bought a '15 F350 SRW 6.7,4x4,cc,sb, GVW of 11,500. At that time we had a '06 Cedar Creek w/ a max GVW of 13,800, wet pin of 2100. Prior truck was a '03 F250 6.0,cc,4x4,sb. Yes the '03 is in same boat your are looking into, but that's what we had. Anyways' the '15 was no prob w/ the Creek. Year later, we decide to upgrade RV to one in sig. Max wt is 16,000, dry is 14,000, wet pin is 3700. Yes the '15 pulled the '17 RV ok, but back in same boat. Over on most weights by a little or several hundred lbs. In '18 we decided to go to FL in Aug for vaykay. Biggest overweight on the '15 was tires and knowing all the extra heat heading to FL and back was gnawing at me like crazy (basically a gut feeling in stomach that wouldn't go away). As much as it pained me to do so, traded the '15 for a '17 F350 DRW. Towing is a dream, wife feels more at ease w/ it when she relives me at the wheel and if ya have a rear wheel go flat at 65-70 mph, at least ya got another one to get you off the road. Yes the DRW absolutely stinks in the snow and is a bit more to consider at drive thrus and fuel pumps due to the hips. BUT from a heavy RV towing aspect, wouldn't go back to a SRW. Would I go back to a SRW? Yes w/ a lighter trailer. Yes you can put on/add larger tires, suspension enhancements, but bottom line is what's legal for your truck? Today's SRW's do have higher GVW's than those of just a few years ago, but I'd personally be leary of putting anything much over 15000 on a SRW 1 ton and DEFINITELY NOT a 3/4 ton.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"