cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suspension Air Bags?

buckdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of adding air bags to the rear suspension on my 06' Ram 2500 since I started pulling an 8300lb 5th wheel. Any recommendations on brands & gotchas as well as psi settings. Did it make a difference in handling, ride quality, or stance of vehicle? Right now its a little squat when pulling.
25 REPLIES 25

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Air Lift in my 2500 Chevy and work fine. Like them.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
john&bet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
buckdaddy wrote:
I'm thinking of adding air bags to the rear suspension on my 06' Ram 2500 since I started pulling an 8300lb 5th wheel. Any recommendations on brands & gotchas as well as psi settings. Did it make a difference in handling, ride quality, or stance of vehicle? Right now its a little squat when pulling.

At that weight you should not need anything!

X-3. I pull a 12,000 5th with a '04 2500 and have only a 2" drop in the rear. No squat. Just nice and level.

Yup some think if it ain't azz end high it's squatting!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
buckdaddy wrote:
g4sbrg wrote:
did the system take the bounce out on those road level changes. that's about the only thing in my new to me 5ver setup seems to need improvement on, pulls straight, handles well just that one bounce at hwy speed could be improved, or do they mostly do that anyway???

This is the main issue I would like to see improvement with also: bounce. Thanks for your input guys; the jury is in, now all i have to do is decide Ride-rite or Pacbrake.

The bounce get a full set of Bilstien 4600/5100's your choice! I run 5100 and they are great. I also installed shocks on my 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
buckdaddy wrote:

At that weight you should not need anything!

X-3. I pull a 12,000 5th with a '04 2500 and have only a 2" drop in the rear. No squat. Just nice and level.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

P_Kennedy
Explorer
Explorer
No it is less efficient for stability because as you go into a turn the air will go to the bag opposite side of the lean. On my truck we added 2 stainless case oil filled gauges to the system by the Schrader valves showing each bag air pressure. Then it does not matter what you use for an air supply you have a guage already built in.
2007 Triple E 305RL
2007 Dodge C&C 9' Falcan Deck

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
The advantage of separate lines is air volume will stay constant in each bag. When using a T or compressor feed from a single line air can travel back and forth between each bag as load shifts.

The downside of course its a bit more work to fill.

So are the air bags more effective if air can't shift between the two bags?

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
The advantage of separate lines is air volume will stay constant in each bag. When using a T or compressor feed from a single line air can travel back and forth between each bag as load shifts.

The downside of course its a bit more work to fill.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm very happy with the Firestone air bags I have on my Dodge dually. Separate air valves and fill with an air bubble.

What is an "air bubble"? My truck's air bags also has separate air valves, so I find it hard to get the exact same pressure in each side.

I put a T in my system to tie both lines together, so I just fill both bags at the same time. No worries about getting the bags to the same psi.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm very happy with the Firestone air bags I have on my Dodge dually. Separate air valves and fill with an air bubble.

What is an "air bubble"? My truck's air bags also has separate air valves, so I find it hard to get the exact same pressure in each side.

Mpr68rt
Explorer
Explorer
I added a set of Air Lift airbags. 2 hours is all it took. Removed the bumpstops and put in the airbags.
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab CTD
2015 Sanpiper 365SAQB

buckdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
Try new shocks for the bounce.....

Shocks r relatively new.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Try new shocks for the bounce.....
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

buckdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
g4sbrg wrote:
did the system take the bounce out on those road level changes. that's about the only thing in my new to me 5ver setup seems to need improvement on, pulls straight, handles well just that one bounce at hwy speed could be improved, or do they mostly do that anyway???

This is the main issue I would like to see improvement with also: bounce. Thanks for your input guys; the jury is in, now all i have to do is decide Ride-rite or Pacbrake.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Firestone bags on my F350. Have the on-board compressor in the cab. Not only does it level the truck out when hooked up, but I can adjust the ride a little while going down the road. I generally run between 25 and 30 lbs in them when towing but on extremely windy days I have ran 45 - 50 lbs.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!