cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tandem tires on the Cedar Creek Silverback

flrp
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about buying a 2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 5er but I am concerned about the space between the tandem tires on the unit. I have owned 4 fifth wheels so far in my life and none of them had the tandem tires so close together. The space on the Silverback appear to be about 4 inches (my estimate)apart. I have looked at other new 5th wheels and they appear to be about 10 inches space between the tandem tires. Plus the units I have owned were in the 10 inch range. My concern with the tires being so close together that a tire blow out could impact both tires on the same side of the unit. In addition I have had a leaf spring break on a Montana and the axle twisted which in my opinion would have cause the two tires on the opposite side to have rubbed together compounding the problem when the leaf spring broke. The question is, does anyone understand my concerns and have similar ones with the Silverback unit? In addition with the two tandem tires being so close together I would believe the 5th wheel unit would be more unstable acting like a play ground teeter tot when traveling down the road. Anyone have thoughts about the tandem tires being so close together on this unit.
flrp :h

2015 34 foot 5th Wheel Cedar Creek Silverback
2011 2500 Chevy Diesel
20 REPLIES 20

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
1.5 inches between mine.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

RAINEYTXX
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:

I believe the tires on my dually are even closer (sidewall to sidewall)

My 43' DRV triple axle is about the same! If you have a blow out-you replace the tire on the same side anyway! Yes, the marketing of "wide stance: is towards the stability but I gotta think in tight turns, closer is better for axles/bearings/spring links etc....
2012 DRV Mobile Suites Atlanta 43'
2012 F-450
2016 Audi Q5
2011 Audi A8L
2004 Audi A4 6 speed sport package

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer

I believe the tires on my dually are even closer (sidewall to sidewall)
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
overthehillbill wrote:
I was told the closer the tires are, less sidewall stress on tight turns. Just my .02.

I agree would not too wide a space between the tires, as long as I have enough room to throw on a set of tire chains if needed then I am fine. Mine are about 3" apart with 16" wheels.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

silverback31b2
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine, after you get rid of the china bombs. I have almost the same as Spalsher3, 8K a season, 4 seasons, no problems.
2011 Silverback 31B2
2017 F350 Superduty, Crew Cab, 8' box, 4x4, 6.7 PSD, Lariat, Loaded
BD3 Trailersaver air hitch
Tire minder TPMS
Disc brakes and gas shocks

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
flrp wrote:
I am thinking about buying a 2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 5er but I am concerned about the space between the tandem tires on the unit. I have owned 4 fifth wheels so far in my life and none of them had the tandem tires so close together. The space on the Silverback appear to be about 4 inches (my estimate)apart. I have looked at other new 5th wheels and they appear to be about 10 inches space between the tandem tires. Plus the units I have owned were in the 10 inch range. My concern with the tires being so close together that a tire blow out could impact both tires on the same side of the unit. In addition I have had a leaf spring break on a Montana and the axle twisted which in my opinion would have cause the two tires on the opposite side to have rubbed together compounding the problem when the leaf spring broke. The question is, does anyone understand my concerns and have similar ones with the Silverback unit? In addition with the two tandem tires being so close together I would believe the 5th wheel unit would be more unstable acting like a play ground teeter tot when traveling down the road. Anyone have thoughts about the tandem tires being so close together on this unit.

Why don’t you just send Forest River an eMail and ask them about the axle spacing for the model you are considering. I’m sure they will provide you with a reasonable explanation.

FastEagle

overthehillbill
Explorer
Explorer
I was told the closer the tires are, less sidewall stress on tight turns. Just my .02.
Bill
'08 Cedar Creek 32TK, 35'9", 13,990#
'01 F-250,Lariat, 7.3L, SC, Auto, LB, JW Towmaster Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP custom tunes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Auto Meter Gauges, Firestone Air Bags. '07 Headlights and Grille, Prodigy P-3.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
flrp wrote:

How close is ...."close"?..:@

The clearance between the OEM 235/80 R16 ST tires that came on my Jayco was 2 1/2 inches.
When I went to LT Ribs, the 1" larger diameter of each 235/85 would have resulted in a decrease of 1" clearance - down to 1 1/2" between the tires.

Others have done that - but made me a bit nervous..:(

Easy solution: Went with 245/75 - (same load rating as the 235/85), same diameter, but one inch wider - resulting in an increase of 1/2 inch per side.

IMO - the trlr you are considering shouldn't have any clearance probs.

~

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
My 2009 Silverback, with my XPS RIBS, has about 1" between tires....no problems after 5 years. The space between the original china bombs was about 1.5" (replaced after 3000 miles). RIBS are slightly bigger.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 3" on my Titanium. I don't remember ever seeing anything close to ten. My between the wheels chocks wouldn't reach.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
On my Keystone Challenger I could not get 2 fingers between them. I recently changed my springs to a little shorter and got the egua flex equalizer and now have a little over an inch between. I have never had a problem with the spacing the whole time with it
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
In 8 years with distance between tires of about 1-3/8 inches I have never had any issues. But them again I dont have junk ST tires on my fiver

Yep....that's about the distance between tires on my 5vr

No problems with them being that close.
LT tires, wheels balanced and shocks....rides smooth
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
On previous two TTs and one 5er space was between 2 to 4 inches, about the same as current Rig.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
On my 3rd Cedar Creek. No problems with tires yet, and probably more than 50,000 miles between the 3 rigs. Current one has G614 tires and 25,000 miles.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.