Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taveling with Canoes and Kayaks with your 5'er

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
The short and sweet question is:

Anyone ever mounted a canoe or kayak anywhere on or inside your FW?

The long question for those who like to know the details:

One of these days we are going to upgrade from our TT to a FW. I have a 15 foot long canoe I like to take with us on our trips to fish out of. One day I plan on adding a second canoe and/or kayak or two to the fleet. I currently have been using a big full length ladder rack on my truck that I mount the canoe on. Problem is obviously if and when we upgrade to a FW I cant use the rack any more. We (Mostly me) would love a Toy Hauler and that would solve all the problems but we (mostly my wife) just are not fond of the floor plans (or price) of most of the TH we have looked at. Anyone ever mounted a canoe or kayak anywhere on or inside your FW? On the roof, would be my first thought.... Got any pictures and details on how you did it? Or would do it?

The canoe gets dirty and wet and would prefer not to find a way to store it inside the FW assuming I could find a way to get it in there.

Thanks,
Robert
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB
27 REPLIES 27

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Advanced Elements makes one and two person inflatable QUALITY kayaks.

Had those, keep em for guest now. Went with proper kayaks, so much better.

Rick
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
This works for us. We get a lot of campers that check it out and ask questions.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Advanced Elements makes one and two person inflatable QUALITY kayaks.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
avvidclif1 wrote:
dewey02 wrote:
I don't mount a canoe or kayak on my trailer, but I do mount a 12 foot rowboat.

That could work if your trailer is not already at the legal max width of 8 1/2'

It does work for me, as my trailer is just under the legal width when the boat is attached.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:

That could work if your trailer is not already at the legal max width of 8 1/2'
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
We use a Yakima roof rack on the truck and 2 sets of J cradles to carry our 12' kayaks. Keep on an eye on Craigslist and you might get a great deal. I paid $75 for a 1 year old set.

Am thinking of doing the same thing, can you post pictures?

Rick
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Yakima roof rack on the truck and 2 sets of J cradles to carry our 12' kayaks. Keep on an eye on Craigslist and you might get a great deal. I paid $75 for a 1 year old set.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II

WE_CAMP2
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 2 10' kayaks on the roof of my crew cab on a pair of Yakima cross bars, if I went with any longer kayaks I would have to go with a front goalpost set up.

2017 F250 CC SB PSD & 2008 Cameo 5'er

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
We have 2 kayaks in the 10 foot range. The design of our 5th wheel allows me to get them in the door and up the steps to the bedroom. I put towels across the bed and a ratchet strap under the plywood that the mattress sits on. Lay one kayak on the bed and the other on top of it and strap them in. Storing them inside on the bed does require me cleaning them up after use.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
I am in this dilemma right now. We borrowed some kayaks last summer and really enjoyed them but how do I get them anywhere with the 5er? My buddy just stuffs his inside but they won't fit inside of mine.

I am looking at 2 different solutions. One is a front receiver with a custom forward rack off my flatbed. This seems pretty easy but just loos kinda tacky. My other solution is a rear mounted vertical kayak rack. I have seen pictures and this looks like the direction I am leaning. Probably won't work for a canoe though

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a picture but I put one of the canoes on the roof of the truck. I use the Thule roof rack with the optional canoe rack. You would have to measure from the front of the trailer to the center of the cab to see how much room you have. Obviously it needs to be about half the canoes length. I couldn't do it with anything other then the long bed. The canoe I have been using is a solo boat at 14'6", been leaving roughly 6-12"s between the canoe and the trailer. I could certainly do a 15'er, it would just hang out front a bit more.

The only issue I have is lifting it up there, I've got a 16' fiberglass that I would not be able to handle, at least not by myself.

Unfortunately, I do not see one available for your truck.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a front hitch on my Dodge Cummins and put a "T" mount up front to carry one or two kayaks. I also have a single bar going across the cab roof.

No problem with visibility.

Putting them up on rack is easy for two and doable for one.

RON W
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650