cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tonneau cover

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
What type of bed cover is the one to buy? Soft, hard, trifold or roll up? I like the idea of covering the bed when I am not towing. It is for a long box GMC 3500HD swr.
30 REPLIES 30

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I recently installed a Truck Covers USA American Roll Cover on my 6.5' bed Duramax. It has the hard aluminum slats and they advertise it as having the smallest footprint canister on the market. I chose it over all the other roll covers for several reasons, but one of which is that it DOES NOT have a latch to open on the top (only a hard mounted key slot). It does have a pull-cable latch on the underside at the tailgate, which is the only way I've ever used to open it.

I was steered away from the Roll-N-Lock because I read reviews stating that all you to do was jump on it in order to dislodge it from the canister and create access to the underneath.

Oh, and it DOES NOT leak.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I have a roll up only reason I can keep my generator tight up against it. Leaves room at tailgate for 6x6 blocks and a large 10x15 tent I carry

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Truxedo Deuce. It rolls up and it folds back at the front when I fill up my auxiliary fuel tank. I tow a 5th wheel and it doesn't interfere with the trailer at all.https://www.truxedo.com/p-36233-truxedo-deuce.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1uSi4-2n2QIVFbjACh0e5AoyEAAYASA...
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Retrax and like it because I can lock it in any position.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got a TrueXport roll up yes the rails are on top of the bed, like 1-1/8" OMG sucks up all the rail clearance NOT!!
I also have a flush with the bed rails tool box and have full access with the cover rolled back.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Peragon cover also. Love it, and I have nothing but great things to say about it.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Roll N Lock on our 17 KR and glad I did. Was looking at a folding cover but anothern couple were picking up their new DRV MS Madison. They had a Platiumn so basicly the same truck with more bling. Gentleman had a folding cover but had to compleatly remove it as the newer trucks are so tall he would have raise his hitch and been nose high to clear the foldup in tight turns.
Something to think about.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Peragon locking cap. Folds up to the front of the bed and is easily removable. No damage from being loaded up with snow. Going on two years now.

Peragon truck covers.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 4-fold on my long bed was so heavy that, as I got older, it became a giant PITA.

The kids gave me a Pace Edwards retractable as a birthday gift and it is great. Fits perfectly. locks in any position. And is manageable with one hand.

I put a plywood partition across the bed ahead of the hitch rails and can lock the cover at that point, giving me a (mostly) secure truck box for setup gear.

(I know somebody could rip through the plywood, but if they are going to that much trouble they could rip the tonneau off.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW
I have a BAKFLIP G2, for my 2010 f250. It covers my 5th wheel Superglide 16K hitch, so no in and out.

https://bakindustries.com/

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Full size bed? - you need a 4 fold.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
greende wrote:
I have a Fold-A-Cover brand hard tonneau. It folds in four sections and lays flat and does not block the back window.

X2

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roll n Lock and really like it. I can open it as much as I need and it locks up solid.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Fold-A-Cover brand hard tonneau. It folds in four sections and lays flat and does not block the back window.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Truxedo roll up.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE