cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow vehicle as daily driver?

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to get our first RV in the next month or so, and we are kinda split between a bumper pull or a 5th wheel. Either way, I will also be buying a truck to pull it since neither of our daily drivers will pull much (Honda Pilot and Jeep Wrangler).
Leaning toward getting a 3/4 ton truck to give us more options for the camper, but the only way I can do a newer truck would be to trade the Jeep, making the truck my daily driver.

So - older (less expensive) truck dedicated as tow vehicle, or newer (more expensive) truck replacing the Jeep as my DD? I drive about 20-25k a year, normal commuting, moderate to warm climate (Alabama)

How many of you drive a 3/4 ton or larger truck as your daily driver?
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
37 REPLIES 37

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Talk about the one that got away! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 3500 diesel RAM SWR, no problem.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
2006 RAM 2500 5.9 CTD. 20 MPG around town.

mastercraftka
Explorer
Explorer
Driven a 2500 truck most of my adult life, just don't know anything else. Some got 11mpg some 17mpg. Currently driving a 2011 2500HD 4x4 Chevy Duramax gets 14 mpg when not regening. If I drive a tank of fuel out on the highway I can get 17 mpg. If I didn't have the heavy 10 ply tires I would do even better.

Wouldn't drive a car or half ton or gaser again! but then again I use mine. I will drive this one til it quits on me.
2016 Cypress 38BHR
2011 2500HD 4x4 Chevrolet Duramax

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
mountainsam - that is very much a possibility... still flip flopping between a C or a trailer of some type
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Been driving a 3/4 ton truck for the last 10+ years as a daily driver. Overall, I love it. I put on +/- 20K miles a year in varied city/hwy scenarios. The only downside like someone mentioned is tight parking lots but it's pretty infrequent that it's a hassle. The newer trucks with the backup cameras and sensors help A LOT.

The safety and comfort of the big truck is great and I couldn't imagine going back to a car or SUV.

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Ram diesel long bed is my daily driver. No problem. I get a strong 18 mpg in town and 22 on the highway. But since a Jeep Wrangler is my all time favorite vehical and I wish I never sold mine 12 years ago, I would have to find some way to keep it.

Maybe turn the Wrangler into a toad behind a nice Class C
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, Jon - where is your sig?

My daily driver since February of 2001 has been a 2000 F250 extra cab short bed...tows my trailers (old one and current one) just great! It gets about 14mpg in town unloaded and about 11mpg towing.

Tim

ForceXXI
Explorer
Explorer
My daily driver is the truck in my sig. Gets about 11-12mpg towing/in town driving. The best I ever got was 15mpg driving interstate without anything in tow.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
My daily driver for the last 11 yrs, and dedicated TV has been a 1 ton crew cab, long bed, 4X4 dually... last almost 3 years, cummins diesel with Aisin tranny and 4.10 now...In winter I'll get on an average of 13.5 to 14.5 mpg....In warmer weather I've gotten as good as 17...all hand calc...display says I'm doing better, but it'll lie:B
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
For over a decade I drove a short bed crew cab F350. Sometimes tough to park, but they were the yuppie vehicle around here at the time and they made a nice daily driver.

Have a dually now, and not so nice to drive. It is a bear to park downtown and I pretty much retired it to towing only and bought a Jeep TJ as my daily driver and I love that thing, even though there are more comfortable and higher mpg DDs out there.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
13 2500hd duramax love it drive it every where. Just had a tow tune done going to see what it will do this weekend. off to daytona

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
2011 GMC Sierra 3500, dually, crew cab, long box. Daily driver, although I'm retired. I would still use it as a daily driver if I was still working. If you're looking for a nice smooth ride get a Caddy because a truck is a truck and it's meant for working. Also IMHO get a TV that's capable of doing the job that's going to be required of it. Another 3 cents worth.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
All are Daily drivers here with the rare exception of Japanese MDT's