Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a cyclone 4100

A97ace
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy y'all!!

I am contemplating purchasing a Cyclone 4100 toyhauler...have y'all (it's a Texas thing) seen this coach, boy is it sharp!! Im looking for advise/help. Anyrate, this coach isn't exactly a light one which brings me to my question. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab diesel dually with the 5.9, 6spd standard trans w/airbags and a B&W companion hitch. I can't find good info that says yay or nay to me pulling/towing it. Can find it for everything else but mine. Do I have enough truck? I've combed the forum and see some guys towing these coaches with a SRW 3/4 ton..:h...back to my question. Do I have the truck to pull this coach?

Thanks to anyone that can help!!
48 REPLIES 48

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
Why do people continue to post this incorrect information? Insurance companies to not refuse to pay for stupidity. If you are driving 100mph and crash, they pay. If you run a red light and crash, they pay. If you run overloaded and crash, they pay.

You may get a nice surcharge when you renew, or they may drop you the following year, but they pay.........

CabinetmakerII wrote:
I might be a bit late responding but here is something to think about: In the event you are ever in an accident and it is determined that your TV/TH was overloaded, there is a possibility your insurance company will not cover any of the damages incurred. I purchased my F-450 in anticipation of purchasing my Cyclone 3800 (18K pound rig). I will never be "Under Trucked". Safe travels to all!

My information came from an insurance underwriter... I believed her and I am not willing to take a chance. Again, I will not be "Under Trucked"
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Two thoughts on weight ratings and towing. If the factory says that the axle is rated for X amount, CGVWR is X, and you decide that based on Internet postings to exceed this and you have an accident (even if you aren't at fault), this MAY happen to you:

State brings in vehicle manufacturer engineer who testifies that the vehicle was rated for this amount of weight. You went over it. The axle was rated for this amount of weight, and you went over it. Then the engineer is asked about brakes and he says that the brakes are designed with a 20% safety factor which is not used in the published weight ratings. You were right at this. State then shows that your truck/trailer combination was over CGVWR. Where does that leave you?

A lot of posters will now yell and scream that they have towed such and such for years without a problem. Sure, they have gotten away with it. Maybe they will continue to maybe not. But with attorneys looking for someone to sue and collect from, do you want to be in the spotlight?

Read some of the NTSB reports on highway accidents. See what kind of detail they go into. I am not saying that the NTSB will investigate every accident involving an RV. What I am saying is that there are a lot of other sharp LE officers who know the same. Is it worth it?
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting read. I'm glad to see people discussing the RV Tow Check app. I'd appreciate any PMs on the subject.
Dave Gray

RV Safety Educator & Consultant

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, 09 Heartland Cyclone 4012

Hookem2004
Explorer
Explorer
People will pull what they want to pull. If they are over weight, they will turn a blind eye. Just be safe out there and take it easy.

Is it enough truck. I think it's enough truck. But I don't think you are legal if you were to go across the scales.
2006 302 Skyline Rampage TH
2006 3500 Duramax CC/Dually
2004 2500 Suburban
2008 Z06 Corvette
2000 1950 Lund Tyee 200HP Yamaha HPDI
1999 2835ss Chaparral

tgreening
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

The 40' Cyclones has three 6k axles which can make for some light pin weights. Three 6k axles = 18000 lbs of braking performance plus your truck 14500 = 32550 lb of combined braking performance. This is why we see so many one ton DRW trucks pulling some very heavy loaded 40' GN triaxle trailers.

I would check on heartlandowners.org forum and see what other Cyclone owners report on pin and gross weights. Good luck

2011 Heartland Cyclone 3950. Advertised pin weight of somewhere around 3100-ish pounds. Actual scaled pin weight is 4,300 lbs. Trailer weight normally 16.5K.

I ran across a guy pulling a twin to my unit, with a 3/4 ton late model dodge. Don't remember the exact year. He had no idea what his trailer weighed, no idea what his pin weight was, and no idea the actual ratings of his truck. When I enlightened him to his likely pin weight, he laughed, saying it was no wonder his truck was on the bump stops when he left the dealer. First stop was a truck garage for some air bags.

Met him at a KOA in mid Ohio. He was from somewhere up in Canada, and his exact words were "it pulled it juuuust fine".
2008 Ford F-450 "Lil Beasty"
2011 Heartland 3950 "Big Beasty"
1970 DW Made in Japan "Big Bossy"
2005 DD Made in Ohio "Big Pain"
2007 DD Made in Ohio "Lil Pain"
2004 GR Bahzu the dog "Big Sissy"
2010 Weim Mobo the dog "Fast Spaz"

A97ace
Explorer
Explorer
Wally
I'm pretty handy with a welder, I was just going to make my own.

nomoreosama
Explorer
Explorer
So A97ACE, DO I need to elaborate anything? These are always hot button topics on here! Try not to take any response personal as some members are very passionate about weights!

So what kind of hitch are you going with? Oops! here we go, yet again!

Wally

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Go weigh your truck 'camp ready' (you, passengers and any stuff that would be in the cab)

That weigh ticket ($10-$12) will be priceless in figuring out what you can really tow within your trucks ratings.
Weigh ticket will have:
Front axle weight
Rear axle weight and
Total trucks weight.

Compare those numbers to your trucks ratings
Truck GVWR 10,500 minus actual total weight
Truck FAWR 4,750 minus actual front axle weight
Truck RAWR 9,350 minus actual rear axle weight

With that 9350 RAWR you will have more available axle weight but will reach GVWR of truck quickly.

Truck will probably weigh in around 7500# (or more)
10,500 - 7500 leaves 3000# before reaching GVWR
That CY4100 lists a 'dry pin weight' of 3000#
So before you put anything in that CY4100 you have max'd out your trucks GVWR.

Your truck has a max tow rating of 15,550# (mfg. published number using 150# driver and base model).
That CY4100 has a 'dry weight' of 14,595#. That is only 955# less than your mfg. magical max tow rating

Look at the data plate on your trucks door.
Weigh the truck....do you own figuring.

You have plenty of rear axle..just not enough overall truck.
Mega Cabs have lower ratings due to that MEGA CAB

Can't compare 2006 against a 2015. Completely different engineering/frames/suspension/engines/transmissions etc.
Apples and oranges

Yes there are lots of big/heavy trailers being towed by 2500 and 3500
Most, if they would be honest and get weighed will be overweight

The RV Safety & Education Foundation data indicates that 57% of all RVs on the road exceed one or more weight safety ratings.

Additionally, the following exceed at least one rating:

60% of all tow vehicles
51% of all travel trailers
55% of all 5th wheel trailers
50% of all trailers exceed the GVWR

After you get your real numbers (weighed) here is a 'tow calculator' to help figure what you can tow within ratings.
If rantings don't matter....ignore

RV Tow Check

All of this info is exactly right and what people should be doing when asking "do I have enough truck?"
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Why do people continue to post this incorrect information? Insurance companies to not refuse to pay for stupidity. If you are driving 100mph and crash, they pay. If you run a red light and crash, they pay. If you run overloaded and crash, they pay.

You may get a nice surcharge when you renew, or they may drop you the following year, but they pay.........

CabinetmakerII wrote:
I might be a bit late responding but here is something to think about: In the event you are ever in an accident and it is determined that your TV/TH was overloaded, there is a possibility your insurance company will not cover any of the damages incurred. I purchased my F-450 in anticipation of purchasing my Cyclone 3800 (18K pound rig). I will never be "Under Trucked". Safe travels to all!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
OP wrote:
How/why does the automatic trans have any bearing on what the trucks suspension/brakes can safely support/stop/tow?

The tranny has noting to do with brake specs.

Brake specs are a function of the GAWRs.

Example is your '06 DRW Dodge/Cummins has a 5200 (4x4) FAWR and a 9350 RAWR = 14550 lbs of braking performance. GVWR has nothing to do with max braking performance on a truck or trailer.

Those big 9350 RAWR on your DRW is the biggest reason the DRW Mega cab is a very popular truck with commercial and private haulers pulling GN/pintle and 5th wheel trailers at 26k-35k GCW and do it safely/legally for hundreds of thousands of miles.

LDT makers realize many folks that purchase a truck with a diesel/manual tranny may not have ever operated combo like that. A newby can damage a drive line quick when carrying max loads if he/she can't make a smooth launch or up and down shift.
And in some cases the clutch its self is the weak link however I see a '06 G56 3.73 gears has 2000 lbs more tow ratings than the 48RE 3.73 gears in the same truck.

The 40' Cyclones has three 6k axles which can make for some light pin weights. Three 6k axles = 18000 lbs of braking performance plus your truck 14500 = 32550 lb of combined braking performance. This is why we see so many one ton DRW trucks pulling some very heavy loaded 40' GN triaxle trailers.

I would check on heartlandowners.org forum and see what other Cyclone owners report on pin and gross weights. Good luck
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

lakings10
Explorer
Explorer
A97ace wrote:
Well here's my answer to the "here we go" commented by Wally earlier. Gentlemen can we please not derail anymore and take this thread to the places that every single toyhauler thread I've read on this forum seems to go.

He made a statement, I disagree/don't feel comfortable with what he's doing, no need to drag this down into the gutter and beat it up......again. This is been covered enough. If he is comfortable towing his camper with this SRW truck good for him... I wish him safe travels!!

Thanks again to all who have helped and will help. Please let's stay on topic!!

Safe travels to you too Sir!
2015 Thor Hurricane 27k

A97ace
Explorer
Explorer
Well here's my answer to the "here we go" commented by Wally earlier. Gentlemen can we please not derail anymore and take this thread to the places that every single toyhauler thread I've read on this forum seems to go.

He made a statement, I disagree/don't feel comfortable with what he's doing, no need to drag this down into the gutter and beat it up......again. This is been covered enough. If he is comfortable towing his camper with this SRW truck good for him... I wish him safe travels!!

Thanks again to all who have helped and will help. Please let's stay on topic!!

I_m_Rick_James
Explorer
Explorer
lakings10 wrote:

lol you know which tires I have? And how much they are rated for? Don't spout out **** you know nothing about.

Nice edit, I'm glad you showed a little (late) restraint. How do I know what tires you have?

Those look like Transforce AT's to me...Why don't you go look on your sidewall, I already know the answer.
'08 Ford F350 LB,CC, 4x4 King Ranch, Reunel front and rear winch bumpers, Warn 12k winch
'12 Voltage 3900
'10 Polaris Ranger Crew
BAN Ib516, rick83864

lakings10
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Rick James wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
lakings10 wrote:
I'm Rick James wrote:
lakings10 wrote:
lol he has a Drw.

Yes your truck will do fine. I tow my 18k fuzion 404 with my 13 Ram 2500 with ease.

You are grossly overweight, please don't encourage others to do the same.

Im not grossley overweight. My truck is rated for 17.5k, all im over on is payload, and even at that, im not close to my rawr.

My truck pulls the trailer very nice and stable.

I know you don't want to hear it cause you are convinced.....but you have bought into the mfg. hype.
Max tow rating is NOT real world numbers. (Max Trailer = GCVWR-base weight-170# (driver weight + 20# optional equipment)

Your 2013 2500 has a GVWR of 10,000#
payload of 2600# (GVWR-base weight)
RAWR of 6200#

With that 18K Fuzion you are overweight on trucks GVWR, actual payload and RAWR.
A trip across the scales will tell..........if you are honest with yourself.
Otherwise you are just convinced it isn't.

You forgot to mention that he's over on one of the most important rating, his tires. I hope I never have to share the same stretch of road with this guy.

Additionally, this individual refuses to acknowledge simple facts. I wonder if these types of people ever wonder why DRW pickups were conceived?

lol you know which tires I have? And how much they are rated for? Don't spout out **** you know nothing about.
2015 Thor Hurricane 27k