cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Heavy 5er with SRW Truck

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't as my unit is 11k dry. I see a lot of SRW diesel trucks (newer models which I know handle more than older ones) towing huge 5th wheels or toy haulers.

Any of you have a setup like this? I'm talking 14,000+lbs of dry weight. From what I see the newer 250/2500 trucks pull around 16,000-17,000 at their max.

I was curious to know how these things actually tow with that much weight. Do you feel in control? Tow weight and truck is always a huge topic on every forum. I know almost everyone says go dually but not many people do.
Travis - Houma, LA
2012 Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab FX4
Firestone Riderite Airbags
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide
155 REPLIES 155

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a 2500 HD chevy went to a F350 srw The f350 feels better towing. With the 2500 HD never did feel unsafe But the F350 does feel better.

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed with both and noticed no difference in stability. Both had 1 ton suspensions. DRW does allow you to haul more weight over the rear axle, thats the reason for getting DRW.
HR

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
fairhaven wrote:
X2 what ol Bombero-JC said.

X3

fairhaven
Explorer
Explorer
X2 what ol Bombero-JC said.
2014 Palomino Columbus 365RL,2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box, Aisin Transmission
Myself(Bob) Retired (25 Years USAF)
Tami(Wife/Retired 25 Years USAF)
Ashley-13(Daughter)
Nick-10(Our rotty)

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
travisgsf wrote:
I personally don't as my unit is 11k dry. I see a lot of SRW diesel trucks (newer models which I know handle more than older ones) towing huge 5th wheels or toy haulers.

Any of you have a setup like this? I'm talking 14,000+lbs of dry weight. From what I see the newer 250/2500 trucks pull around 16,000-17,000 at their max.

I was curious to know how these things actually tow with that much weight. Do you feel in control? Tow weight and truck is always a huge topic on every forum. I know almost everyone says go dually but not many people do.

Why do people want to use "dry weight"??? No one tows a 5er "dry"...one could easily conservatively load a 5er 1,000# and it really wouldn't be that much....One can figure, dry weight would be 2800# on a "dry" weight of 14,000#.

You're right though, some tow that and heavier...weight ratings and safety doesn't mean as much to others...

Don't know why one would have to go dually, but I've yet to hear what the GVW of the 5er you're talking about is...

If one wants to tow 16,000# to 17,000# around, heck, have at it with a 250/2500...tow in the mountains and get back to us on it...of course now, I'll have some talk about towing in the Alps and not having an issue....I also like when some talk about towing with a SRW 2500....uh, all 2500's are SRW trucks.....that's it....they don't make a dually 2500/250, someone may do it after market, but a 2500/250 is just that SRW.....

I'd want to know GVW of the 5er and match it with a capable TV...I don't care what "everybody else does", or what one see's "everyone doing with a 2500/250"...I'd be more concerned about "my" towing experience....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
The majority of those towing heavy with a SRW truck simply do not understand towing at all. They have listened to a salesman telling them anything to make a sale and go blissfully into the sunset ignorant of the real world around them.

How can you speak for "the majority" - the minority, or *ANY* group of tow vehicle owners?.:h

Did you interview them?.:h

Take a poll - or what?.:h

For your stats:
Never discussed (or even asked) what my 1T SRW was capable of towing.
I *knew* what those figures were - and planned accordingly.
I also knew - due to my previous SRW LB 1T pickup - the next one would *not* be a long bed.
There was never any towing discussion with that one either.

Dually was never in the consideration - if one *ever* is, it will be a singled HDT.

BTW - calling buyers "ignorant" - is a blissful case of being hoisted by your own petard..:S

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
jrwhited wrote:
I pull my 16,000# triple axle
40'with a 2010 F450 dually, and wouldnt use anything less.

I tow my 39' 9" 5er, loaded to 16,050#, and a pin weight of 3300#, with my 2013 Ram 3500, and it does it quite easily. With a GVWR of 14,000#, 4:10 gearing and a GCWR of a little over 36,000, I'm under trucks GVWR and GCWR, WELL under RAWR.....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

jrwhited
Explorer
Explorer
I pull my 16,000# triple axle
40'with a 2010 F450 dually, and wouldnt use anything less.

raroberts
Explorer
Explorer
Lyle, I hear you. But just saying it seems less severe, and feels safer, with the dually. The sidewalls on the dually tires are stiffer and narrower compared to my F250's. I think that would have something to do with improving sideways stability.
08 F450 4X4 Lariat
07 Stellar 37' 5W Toyhauler
95 XR600R
03 XR400
07 660 Rhino
75 Z1B

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
raroberts wrote:
travisgsf wrote:

I towed a 17k toy-hauler for 2 years with a Ford SRW F250 diesel with air bags. I always felt comfortable with the power. I felt comfortable with the handling too until I passed a hay truck in a pretty heavy cross wind. When I got next to him my rig pulled hard towards the hay truck and I got into a kind of whiplash. I've never had that happen, under similar circumstances, since I got my DRW. Two added benefits: the brakes are far superior and I am towing legally.

Not dissing your duallie, but I'd say that has to do more with aerodynamics than having a duallie. I've passed a semi in windy conditions in a Corvette and nearly been sucked in.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
kennethwooster wrote:
I put air bags on and it tows my 32ft. Cameo without a hitch.
What do you use, duct tape?:p

raroberts
Explorer
Explorer
travisgsf wrote:

I towed a 17k toy-hauler for 2 years with a Ford SRW F250 diesel with air bags. I always felt comfortable with the power. I felt comfortable with the handling too until I passed a hay truck in a pretty heavy cross wind. When I got next to him my rig pulled hard towards the hay truck and I got into a kind of whiplash. I've never had that happen, under similar circumstances, since I got my DRW. Two added benefits: the brakes are far superior and I am towing legally.
08 F450 4X4 Lariat
07 Stellar 37' 5W Toyhauler
95 XR600R
03 XR400
07 660 Rhino
75 Z1B

SKGCRD
Explorer
Explorer
If duel tires are needed for towing large fifth wheel campers then the trailer would have duel wheels? oh wait they don't... I guess every 5ver is unsafe as well? Get a real trailer I say!! LOL
2007 Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins (stock) 48re (built)
Air lift
Soon to be 2014 Silverback 37BH
Tri-Glide P3

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
azjeffh wrote:
kennethwooster wrote:
.....and it tows my 32ft. Cameo without a hitch.

I'm impressed that your truck doesn't need a hitch to tow it. Must be something new with the Fords :W

OP- I would be amazed to find someone with a 3/4 ton who can tow to the manufacturer's maximum tow ratings without being over their truck's GVWR or RAWR.

Over GVWR, sure, but well within GRAWR, I could put about another 900# on the rear axle, and due to the Camper package the tires while not listed on the VIN sticker are listed on the build sheet as 265/75-16E at3,414# each.

My issue is my TV passed the Highly Scientific weight test, of sitting the 5er on the hitch and lifting the landing gear and dropped very little and was still better than level. There are new 250/2500, and 350/3500's that don't do that within their numbers and end up with squat and need bags to level within limits.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RedAce
Explorer
Explorer
It may be that one can get 18 wheels and tires that will lift the space shuttle on your 3/4 ton, but most people don't. So many are pulling with their tires overloaded.