cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trade-in not worth much

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Went to LaMesa-Tucson today to see about trading my Everest for a new 5er. They would only give me $15k for my 5 year old, former top of Keystone's line of fifth wheels, which is about 1/2 of its NADA value. Guess I'll be keeping the Everest.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE
35 REPLIES 35

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
We did better selling ourselves. RV Trader listing came through this time, other times it was craigslist or the local paper.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
I know my daughter and her husband just sold their 5er for more money than any dealer was willing to trade for it. That allowed them to get a better price from the dealer on a new one. Sold it on Craigs list also. ended up being someone local(I guess most times it is) and the same credit union for both parties so all went very smooth..
I traded my TT in on the 5er and I got what I wanted out of it and I got a great deal on the new 5er too.
I think its a dealer thing?
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:
When I bought my new TT I sold my old one on Craig's list for 3 times what the dealer offered me on trade.

OP - pay attention to the above!

Dealers - ANY dealer - is not going to give you anything close to the real value of your trade.......no matter what condition it's in!!

Value of trade goes up - cost of new RV goes up.
YOU are NOT in control - no matter what anyone says.

That's why lots of folks call them "Stealers"..:B

However, there *IS* an easy solution to turn the tables:

Sell it yourself - you'll be surprised at the demand for your trailer!

Then - *YOU* - are in the "driver's seat" - even if a new trailer doesn't have one, LOL!

~
There is nothing stopping you from starting your own "stealership" and selling the rigs for less and offering people more for their trades. While you are at it, you can lower your service rates and promise to repair every vehicle under warranty, even if the vehicle is a few thousand miles or six months out of warranty. Then you of course will sell all those used trade ins with full bumper to bumper warrantees that run for as long as the customer owns the rig and you will promise to cover any expenses that a customer may incur either bringing their rig in for service or while the rig is in the shop. Maybe hat will turn the RV business from Stealerships to Dealerships. It sure sounds like the road to a fortune, what's keeping you from doing it?

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
When I bought my new TT I sold my old one on Craig's list for 3 times what the dealer offered me on trade.

OP - pay attention to the above!

Dealers - ANY dealer - is not going to give you anything close to the real value of your trade.......no matter what condition it's in!!

Value of trade goes up - cost of new RV goes up.
YOU are NOT in control - no matter what anyone says.

That's why lots of folks call them "Stealers"..:B

However, there *IS* an easy solution to turn the tables:

Sell it yourself - you'll be surprised at the demand for your trailer!

Then - *YOU* - are in the "driver's seat" - even if a new trailer doesn't have one, LOL!

~

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
kakampers wrote:
VW_Factor wrote:
Wow, dealers really hose you on trade in don't they?

Not always...in December got $36k for my six year old Bighorn, which was very close to NADA, and they gave 26% off the MSRP on the 2013 Landmark...and the MSRP was directly from Heartland, not made up by the dealer. Not a bad deal at all and didn't have to try and sell it my self...not easy when you full time.

You'll always get a better deal on "fresh" product, just delivered, since there's almost zero overhead to the dealer. He can afford to give a bit more on the trade and a bit more discount.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
drfife wrote:
I sold my previous camper on consignment at an RV dealership.

It sold in a week for more than I would have got on trade in or selling it privately.

What did they hit you for their consignment fee?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
VW_Factor wrote:
Wow, dealers really hose you on trade in don't they?

Not always...in December got $36k for my six year old Bighorn, which was very close to NADA, and they gave 26% off the MSRP on the 2013 Landmark...and the MSRP was directly from Heartland, not made up by the dealer. Not a bad deal at all and didn't have to try and sell it my self...not easy when you full time.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just pass all of mine down the KIDS food chain...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mrwacky
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer knows how much profit he is willing to sacrifice when dealing with trade-ins. He has to cleanup and prepare the trade-in for resale, advertise it, pay a commission when it's sold and etc. So he looks at it as ACV Actual Cash Value when figuring the profit margin of the rig you are buying.

As far as LaMesa of Tucson goes, I have first hand experience with them. We bought our new Winnebago Vectra from them, the rig we had prior to going with the Montana. The service work was horrible. We had the list of things that needed repaired as all new units have. And we set appointments, often having to leave the unit there for days on end. When we would get it back the things were not fixed or not fixed right. This was upsetting and when we took it in the last time, I discovered in the electric bay a number of wire bundles and wires just laying in the bottom not secured. We called Winnebago and had to drive to Forest City, Iowa, to the factory, to get the warranty items fixed. I realize this comment has nothing to do with your trade in question, but feel obligated to pass on to those I find out are dealing with that dealer and location what our experience was. Now I can sleep better tonight. Buyer beware.
2005 Montana Big Sky 3670RL
DWIGHT AND BETSY LILLY
In loving memory SIX FERRETS--FUZZY, SILLY, PUMPKY, BABY, RANDY & RUDY (deceased)

Boo Boo, Yogi, and Sadie our two poms and Papillion rebels

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's all a numbers game. It depends on what you're trying to buy. It depends on their inventory. It depends on your history with the dealer.

We paid $27K for our 2012 TT two years ago. We are in the process of purchasing a 2014 5th wheel. The dealer will give us $41K as a trade. What?? We're purchasing a $51K 5th.

It's all relative, and somehow we're all happy. Didn't hurt that other family members made 6 purchases from the same dealer over that past couple years.

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
When I sold our old TT to get the 5th, I found eBay has a classified section you can post on, even with pictures. It only shows up for people in an area somewhat close to you, but if I remember, it was a pretty good sized area. I got a lot of response from their add. Made me wish I'd asked more. I could have sold it two or three times.

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

hoopers
Explorer
Explorer
I have sold several trailers myself and traded in a trailer too. Typically, the dealers will offer you wholesale value, very similar to the auto industry. One difference is that wholesale RV values are not published to the public, which puts the public behind the 8 ball. You can find out the wholesale value, but you have to pay a fee to find out (there are several online services that will tell you the wholesale amount).

If you do try and sell it yourself, be reasonable on the price. Don't get greedy.
2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2017 Ford Expedition
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my previous camper on consignment at an RV dealership.

It sold in a week for more than I would have got on trade in or selling it privately.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
remoandiris wrote:
Best of luck selling it yourself. I didn't even get a nibble on my Jayco. Yep, taking a hit on trade for the toyhauler I have on order, but I want a toyhauler, not 2 RVs.
How long did you have it listed? Sold two trailers on craigs list.Last one was a month ago.Sold my 2011 jayco in two months.I got 8k more than dealer offered.Which was 8k less I had to borrow.Compound that with interest over the life of loan and its considerably more then 8k.Got to have patience.Only takes one person to buy it.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Went to LaMesa-Tucson today to see about trading my Everest for a new 5er. They would only give me $15k for my 5 year old, former top of Keystone's line of fifth wheels, which is about 1/2 of its NADA value. Guess I'll be keeping the Everest.

It is all about gaining the most money for the dealer and your willingness and ability to negotiate. They will give you more for your trade, but why offer it to you at first?

Another component is what price they are selling the new unit for. The more profit margin in the new unit the more they can give you for your trade.

With very little details, I bet you can get full NADA retail plus for your trade provided you pay full retail for the new unit.