cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washer & Dryer option worth it?

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking at new 5th wheels so that we can do some extended traveling (2+ weeks) now that the kids are moved out. The ones we've looked at, all had the options to add a washer and dryer. Are they worth the extra $$? if they seem to be worth it, should we get a combined unit or separate? Wife likes the idea if they are dependable.
53 REPLIES 53

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't buy a coach without a w/d. Then again, I don't like laundromats. How much dirty clothes do two people generate in a week? I do a couple loads and I'm done. DW irons them when I'm through....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
We have the space for a side by side, but DW wanted the extra space for stuff, heavy coats, etc. So, we opted for the Splendide combo ventless. We didn't want to put a hole into the side. We always spend at least two nights in a park so that we have a whole day to bum around. We just put a load in the morning and when we return it is finished. No matter what you chose it'll be OK.
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
It's an interesting topic in that there are lovers and haters; not much in between. We've been full timing now over 3 1/2 years and the thought of doing laundry in our RV is repulsive.. We hear the horror stories about laundromats, but our experience all over the USA has been good. Laundromat every 10 - 14 days and laundry is washed, dried, folded in 2 hrs.. We keep the laundry supplies in the truck box, so it's always ready. Laundry on board would be never ending. I know those who like it deal with it, but we prefer the freedom in between those 2 hr laundry days of no machine noise, loading & unloading many times every week... Not for us; but, go for it if domestic life is your thing.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

sushidog
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use their washer and drier when boondocking? It seems they consume a lot of resources making them impractical for someone spending most of their time off-grid. I would think that a pair like this would be more conservative of resources for off-grid rving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1hD-KYfmIY

Has anyone here used something like the wonder wash and a spin drier?

Chip
1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
ttempleton wrote:
Best option u can get!! Who wants to spend hours in laundromat?

Plus the extra time cleaning filthy dirty machines before our clothes go in. My DW ran some machines through a complete cycle begore putting in our dirty clothes. Like I said before I would use those filthy machines I'd just wear my dirty clothes for 5 monthes. If you don't mind the filth I say use them. For me I love our stacked units. Maybe I am just a wacko cleano type person. Plus all the extra time. Ughhh!

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
Best option u can get!! Who wants to spend hours in laundromat?
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I full time and ordered the Splendide separates (110v, vented) in my rig.

They are great. Sure, with 110v it takes an hour to dry a load but who cares ???? I put a load in the washer and then go out and do whatever I want. When I come back I put the load in the dryer and go out and do what I want. And the closets are right next to the dryer so no carrying anything anywhere.

My 5er is my home. I had a washer and dryer in my sticks and bricks home so why should I want anything less now ???

Why waste part of your life in a laundramat - campground or in town ? With built ins there is zero downtime !

Tim

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Many new RV's offer washer/dryer prep as a standard feature or add-on option. I'm of the opinion that they are worth having - with a caveat.

MOST of the combination units have a what they call a "ventless dryer". It's based on a "condensing dryer" system. They heat up the air in the inner drum and the water comes off the clothes in that drum as steam. This passes through holes in the inner drum to the inside of the outer drum. The washer/dryer then runs cold water over the outside of the outer drum and the steam condenses on the inner surface. It's then drained. For this process you are using cold water during the drying process. Most folks you talk to will tell you that the clothes never get completely dry with condensing dryers. Some of them work better than others, but that's the consensus I generally get from folks using them.

There is a combination unit from Splendide that has a vented dryer, and there is one from Pinnacle that has a convertible system - it will do both vented and ventless. I strongly recommend a vented system.

I'm trying to keep a running list of the options available at http://www.momentumgunner.com/rvappliances.html

We will be looking at the Pinnacle washer and vented dryer in the next couple of months.

As for why they are worth having - take a look at most laundromats. Sit and watch for a while. When you see a lady bring in a very nasty dog bed that has fleas coming off of it, it makes you re-think the whole thing.

Does that happen everywhere? I'm convinced it does. I've seen that scenario and others that are as bad often enough that I don't care to risk washing my families clothing after stuff like that.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can find a new takeout Splendide 2100 for less than $600 on Craig's List. Well worth that and other than rugs, everything else goes in it.
Closest I can find to Ohio is in Lexington for $400.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the wife does most of the laundry, the decision should be hers. :B
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I was told, by a RV salesman, to take the amount I would spend in quarters and use them at laundromartd instead of buying a washer dryer! Have to agree, most RVparks have alaundromart and I would not want to give up the extra storage where the WD would go!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tkcas01 wrote:
I think the value is mainly one of convenience. Sometimes the park laundry might not be available when you want to wash, then you have to watch the time and get back over there to move from washer to dryer, then again to get out of the dryer and hope there is a decent/clean place to fold. With the onboard units, it is much easier to work the chore into other things you want/need to do.

If a full-timer or heavy traveler, I think it would be worth it, maybe not so much for weekend warriors. Didn't know they now have 240V dryers. I'd definitely go that way if I had the choice.

I built a lot of Medical/Dental Clinics over the years and I would always advise the client buy the 240V dryer. The ones that listened were happy and the ones who did not ......

The 240V dryer was an option when ordering our 16 MobileSuites. Someone mentioned the 6500 generator would not run the dryer it was 120V 50A. So I had the dealer add the 6500 Commercial version and the dryer works great, it's 120/240V. So if we are in a 30amp park we just need to turn on the gen for a while for the clothes to dry.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have a combo vented unit and DS loves it. Will definitely get another if we trade. She washes everything in it including king size sheets and my jeans. Just set it to wash and dry and go about our activities and come back later to a clean dry load of laundry. No sitting around waiting on it.

Although there are 240 vac units available you have to remember they can only be used with 50 amp hookups. 30 amp hookups only have 120 vac.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I think I would rather have the storage space and use a laundromat.
Nothing is faster than running 4+ loads simultaneously.

And if DW wanted them.... RV would have them ๐Ÿ˜‰

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have a stacked vented units. Here is how my DW got them. Time to do the washing? OK, I carry it to and from. She does washing. $10 to $12 a week. Sometimes more. Washers and driers are really dirty in many of the parks. My job, after carrying clothes to and from was cleaning them out before our clothes went into them. OK, OK, I get it. If you can handle the filth don't bother with the option. At about $10 a week times 52 we're talking $520 maybe $620 savings a year. Takes 5 years of real convenience to pay for them. Our lives were much better though. Throw in a load and go do other things. What a relief. In addition every morning we throw our bath towels in to be dried. Your choice. I wouldn't be without stacked vented units. We only RV about 5 months a year. If you can endure the filth pass the option. JMHO.