cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is a good size for a 5th wheel trailer?

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
To be more clear, what is the longest length 5th wheel you can get that will still be suitable for majority of the camp sites in US and Canada? As an example, does 32ft and 34ft (box sizes) trailers make any difference? How about 36 and 38ft?

Since I'm only interested in full-time capable trailers, I don't think there's anything suitable below 32ft.
41 REPLIES 41

JCZ
Explorer
Explorer
Acei wrote:
Oh that 30ft limit is unfortunate. Excel only starts from 31ft. Do they really stop your 31ft trailers from parking in the sites while letting other people's 30ft trailers in? Are they that strict?

As you know, most state parks and many of the national parks....the actual campground drive is very narrow with sharp turns and trees right up agains the asphalt so it's a matter of manueverability besides the fact that many campsites are only 30' long to the edge of the driveway. Anything longer and you'd be hanging out into the drive in many of the campgrounds.

Probably not anything that's every occured to you before but go drive some state parks and see first hand. Or.....just go to their web sites. It's not all of them but most of them.
It's all about the journey...not the destination!

Full time in our 2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Dually, Longbed.....

JCZ
Explorer
Explorer
dgarcia, many state parks (not just in Calif.) have a 30' limit. As stated above, one that's close and very well known is Calaveras Big Trees State Park. hey have a 30' limit.

It's not only because the camp site themselves are short but due to the short sharp turns inside the park. There's a number of state parks that I can think of that have a 30' length limit.....up in the redwoods (Ave. of the Giants) is another one that is very well known but has the 30' limit. And they only have four or five camp sites that'll handle a 30' RV. We've found a number of state parks that's a tight squeeze for us just to manuever through.

We like the state parks not only for the more scenic camping but they're also much more affordable than commercial RV Parks.

Full time in our 2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Dually, Longbed.....

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
Oh that 30ft limit is unfortunate. Excel only starts from 31ft. Do they really stop your 31ft trailers from parking in the sites while letting other people's 30ft trailers in? Are they that strict?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
It is more than likely that we will spend max 1 month at a time at one site. We really like to venture at new places. Since we plan to move around a lot, I worry about finding appropriate camp sites.
While I applaud your enthusiasm of "max of 1 month at a time", the setting up, tearing down, loading and unloading to equipment every 4 weeks might become tedious and more like work than RVing fun & relaxing. Just what is so for me and am not attempting to rain on your RV parade. RVer's are unique by definition:) I RV about 6 months a year. Baseed on your proposed RV schedule, I would be sure and buy the Good Sam trailer book and use the GS RV trailer application on the computer. Suggest you also look into a Emergency Road Side Service plan.

djgarcia - so are you saying that a 32ft Mobile Suite won't fit in most of the state parks?

About 5 yrs. ago this was the limitation I ran into in California State Parks and the number of slides you have becomes a factor in these parks.

The truck we plan to buy will be a 3500-series dually with a Diesel engine so it should be able to handle quite a bit of trailers.

Suggest you also install an "Exhaust Brake" for that diesel.

Veebyes, what's a "CA SPs"? "TC"?

We are more than likely to choose models from DRV Mobile Suites, Excel Winslow or Lifestyle and all starts at either 31 or 32ft.

JCZ
Explorer
Explorer
We plan on full timing in a couple of years. We've already started downsizing and getting rid of stuff towards that goal. Although we'll be full timing, we also want to be able to get in to all the state parks and national parks and for that reason we went with a smaller 5th wheel.

Many of the state parks and national parks are older and have a size limits. For instance, Calaveras Big Trees State Park here in Calif. has a maximum trailer length of 30'. That's pretty common in state parks. For that reason, we bought an "all seasons" 5th wheel, an Fox Mountain.

Another example....we would not have been able to stay in Jumbo Rocks Campground at Joshua Tree National Park if we'd been in anything larger than 30'. Copy and paste in your browser this link for a blog that shows some of our locations with the 27' 5er (you'll see what I mean about Jumbo Rocks Campground)..... http://jczquartzsitejourney.blogspot.com/

By many people's expectations, it's just to small for full timing. But we're very active and will be spending most of our time outside, anyway. We're just more concerned with location rather than size. The 27' Fox Mountain meets all of our basic needs and actually does it quite well.

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
It is more than likely that we will spend max 1 month at a time at one site. We really like to venture at new places. Since we plan to move around a lot, I worry about finding appropriate camp sites. djgarcia - so are you saying that a 32ft Mobile Suite won't fit in most of the state parks?

The truck we plan to buy will be a 3500-series dually with a Diesel engine so it should be able to handle quite a bit of trailers.

Veebyes, what's a "CA SPs"? "TC"?

We are more than likely to choose models from DRV Mobile Suites, Excel Winslow or Lifestyle and all starts at either 31 or 32ft.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget about going to any CA SPs unless you are driving a TC.

Most states have SPs that will accommodate up to a 36' LOA 5er. We bought ours with SP limitations in mind & have not been disappointed. I feel anything over 36' is really pushing your luck.

There is also that little matter of driving ability. SPs don't have that many pull throughs so you had better know what reverse is. You had better also have a DW who you trust without question to give direction backing into tight spots.

You are not going to get 32' worth of space in a 28' trailer so don't even waste time looking for it.

We are not fulltimers but longtimers, spending up to 6 months a year onboard. We are also high milage travelers, rarely stay still for more than 4 days. Park preference is a SP or COE park. Commercial parks are for laundry day or when we need to be in town to do food shopping every couple of weeks. At 35'LOA we are often the largest 5er in the parks we stay at.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
The operative requirement is "full time RVing". I would get the biggest or longest trailer that your truck will handle without streesing the engine or running gear. Full timing generally means that you will be staying at larger RV Resorts or Parks that offer extended stays i.e. 3 to 6 months at a time. So by default most full timers do not seek small RV parks, although they are not ruled out. In Calif. RV's over 32 ft. generally won't into State parks. Compared to typical homes, RV's offer considerable smaller living spaces expecially if the weather is bad and 2 or more people have to stay confined inside for long periods of time.
IMHO, if I were to become a full time RVer , I would choose a larger RV rather that worry about fitting into smaller RV parks.

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
We are the type who likes to hike a lot and I like taking pictures as well. I doubt we will ever go to resort type of places.

Obviously shorter is better but longer trailers do have better looking layouts.

Which 27ft trailer did you live in? It sounds awfully small for a full-timing unit...

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
27ft 5r and 8 ft std cab truck is same length as a 20ft TT pulled with a std cab truck. Lots of western usfs camp spots were designed for 20 ft TT. DW and I have lived and camped for 3 yrs in a 27ft single slide over the last 18 yrs and are comfortable. But we are campers not resort dwellers.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Acei wrote:
To be more clear, what is the longest length 5th wheel you can get that will still be suitable for majority of the camp sites in US and Canada? As an example, does 32ft and 34ft (box sizes) trailers make any difference? How about 36 and 38ft?

Since I'm only interested in full-time capable trailers, I don't think there's anything suitable below 32ft.

Well it is not only length, but the number and size of slide outs. You can get a lot of room in a 32' triple slide. We have a 33' two slide and have lots of space.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

five_er
Explorer
Explorer
Well.. the answer to your question is clearly 32' if you wont go shorter.

Ontario parks are some of the tightest to get into that I've found.. Start moving to different provinces and states and things change one way or the other.
2009 1500 Dodge Sport QC, Prodigy Brake Controller, 2009 KZ 266 MXT