cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best selling type of floor plan?

journeyernow
Explorer
Explorer
I am asking this, since we plan to start out small and inexpensive but if we really like this, will want to trade up to a bigger size.

I see all types of floor plans, and wonder when we try to sell it on our own, which floor plan types are most desirable and will sell the fastest?

We are looking in the 29' - 34' range.

Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

journeyernow
Explorer
Explorer
We have not seen any fifth wheels for rent, so I don't know how we can try that out.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Just food for thought---- based on your concerns about getting into the RV world, is it possible you might not have reached a comfortable "readiness stage"???
There is no penalty for NOT buying the "perfect" RV for use today and the selling in the future. You might need to give yourself more time to re-evaluate rather you really are ready. I get the sense that buying a RV based on the criteria of "today" and the "Future" will possibly be a continuous less than positive experience:) Just food for thought.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Only way to get the price you paid for an RV, when you sell, is to not buy one in the first place. These products, like most, will depreciate over time and, almost without exception, never sell for the same as the previous purchase price. For example, we bought a FW in 1993 for $14,400, a Jayco Eagle 215SD, and sold it in the fall of 2011 for $4,000. However, if you measure how much pleasure we derived from the FW over the 18 years, not to mention savings on motel rooms and eating in restaurants all the time, while on the road, I don't feel we got taken when we sold.
John A. Lichty

journeyernow
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
I understand the question but there are too many variables to try and guarentee a quick sale. What if the price of fuel goes sky high ? Small trailers are popular. Price goes down and quad slides are popular. If you look around any given Koa you'll see all types from class a to tent trailers. As others say maintain well and you'll resell quick. I've bought used and Rv for several years then sold for what I paid. Not about floorplan but about keeping an already well kept rig looking new. Use it up and you take a big hit.

Gosh...I can see that there are many variables!!

It would be fantastic to get the same price that we paid when we sell!! So, how do you do that???

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the question but there are too many variables to try and guarentee a quick sale. What if the price of fuel goes sky high ? Small trailers are popular. Price goes down and quad slides are popular. If you look around any given Koa you'll see all types from class a to tent trailers. As others say maintain well and you'll resell quick. I've bought used and Rv for several years then sold for what I paid. Not about floorplan but about keeping an already well kept rig looking new. Use it up and you take a big hit.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
I would say these things sell a unit.
1) Slides the more the better.
2) Storage- the more the better,
3) Air conditioning a must- two units better than one.
4) Some look for a roof they can use to party on for NASCAR etc.
5) Some look for one of four things, bunks for kids, large living rm, lg kitchen, or outside cooking kitchen.
6) Some are particular about counter space and seating arrangements for eating and serving, just like in any home layout.
7) Some look for large bedrooms with large beds.
😎 Some are real particular about the bath area, some aren't.
9) Exterior style, color, and graphics get many people's attention.
10) Living room window size gets attention as many want a view of the outside.

There are many other things that get peoples attention, so you can see why most will tell you to get what you like and not worry about what will sell. Leave what will sell up to the manufacturers as that's their job.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

J-mans_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what your situation is but we picked up a used bunkhouse 6 years ago. Now that the kids are bigger, we're thinking about swapping for something else. Kids are getting to the age that they'll be doing other things in the summer re: summer jobs, internships. We're looking at mid door, rear living room coaches in the 30-35 ft range.

There's a wide variety of floor plans out there. Pick one that fits YOUR needs the best.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who cares what the best seller is? If there are lots of that model around it only means that there is more pressure to drop your price to compete with all the others. Who wants to be like everyone else anyway? It is bad enough in the auto industry where everything from Hyundai to Mercedes look the same.

RVs are worse. They are all boxes on wheels. Some have more graphics than others. Some are better built than others. Junk is junk. Buy cheap & it will sell even cheaper very quickly.

Buying one, just to try it out, is gonna be expensive. If you like RVing you will take a hit on the sale & then will be buying another, costing even more than the first cost.

Much cheaper to rent for a couple weeks then, if you like it, sit down, take plenty of time & do some serious research. Buy the right one the first time & keep it for a long long time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
Depends on if you have kids or not. If so, a bunkhouse. If not, a rear living room.

But I wouldn't base my decision on what might sell. You have to live with it and buying a floor plan you don't like will just mean selling it faster.

X2, BTW 29-34' is not really small!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

meesda
Explorer
Explorer
The best floorplan is the one you like....never mind what other prefer.

We purchased our FW new 8 yrs ago. Cruiser CF29BT rear enclosed bunkroom. Even if our daughter is in university it"s always a pleasure to have her join us for a weekend.
Dant
2006 Cruiser CF29BT
2008 GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 6.0

AuntSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on loulou's advice. There is a buyer out there for every floor plan. Those that only use theirs occasionally normally (stressing "normally"!) prefer a rear living room. Those with kids need a bunkhouse. We, tho, are FT'ers and have just purchased a Rear Kitchen. The kitchen becomes quite important when your rig is your home 😄 I would worry more about the slides than anything. Even on vacation trips, the slide may become vital. Picture a rainy day, nothing to do except hang out in the rig. Does it feel comfy or confined? Bottom line.....pick what YOU want. When the time comes, it will sell!

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
journeyernow wrote:
How long to people usually keep their fifth wheel campers?

Ours is 15 years old, bought new.

Jim

journeyernow
Explorer
Explorer
How long to people usually keep their fifth wheel campers?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It's a toss up for us. We really like the rear kitchen models because you get enormous amount of counter space as well as a good amount of cupboards. Draw back is no rear view. That's why we have bought rear living rv's. If we do get another one it will be a rear entertainment center one. With chairs facing the tv and the rear open with a view. More $$$ so when the time comes we'll see. Those also come with a kitchen island sometimes which gives you more counter space.
I would never worry about re-selling it, as why have something you don't like so someone else can have what they like?
Hard to say what's more popular as I guess it depends on who walks into the RV dealership on any given day. IMO the 4 most popular are RK, RL, RE and anything with bunks. Deviate from those and it may take longer to sell.
I would get exactly what you want so you at least after a couple years you will know whether you still like it or not.