cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which tripod stabilizer?

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I've decided to try using a tripod stabilizer while we're spending the winter in the Texas Hill Country. After a reasonable amount of time researching them I've decided on the Ultra-Fab stabilizer and have tentatively narrowed it even further to the aluminum model. According to the specs I've read the aluminum model will support 1200# while the steel model supports up to 1500#. My question, for those in the know, is whether or not that additional 300# is really necessary or desirable, since most of the weight is still being supported by the landing gear. Our 5er has a listed dry weight of 11,200, but I'm estimating it's a good 13k with all of the 'stuff' we bring south with us. I'm OK with buying the steel model if necessary; it's even $20 less expensive but weighs about 20# more. I just don't want to horse that extra weight around if I don't have to, even if it is only twice a year. Opinions?
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg
41 REPLIES 41

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I guess I am one of the few that have and like the tripod. I have the b&l one made from steel of some sort. If I remember correctly the reason for getting that model was the way it slipped over the king pin. I beleive there is a big difference between the two. The steel has a larger capture opening where as the alum. has more of a sleeve for the king pin. At least thats how I remember it. Both will do as you are correct the landing leg hold the weight.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
mine helps. It is simple physics. Stabilize in 3 dimensions at the most distant points from inertias.

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Well, now y'all have my curiosity aroused about the J T Strongarms. As noted in my signature, I have a Carriage Cameo that has a box frame, not an I-beam. In order to mount the hardware it would seem I would have to not only drill into the frame but also tap the holes also. Correct? Not something I'm going to do here in the park. That would have to be a summer project back at the sticks & bricks.
Det 1 56th SOWg

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
Tried a tripod and took it back for a refund after one use. The J.T.'s Strongarms will do more good.

Ken

Exact same experience...
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't waste your money. PITA to setup for negligible benefit. Mine is collecting rust, somewhere around here.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

KBfiredog
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with other posts, best use for the tripod is for a boat anchor. KB
2011 Cameo 37RESLS
2012 Ford F350 Lariet DRW

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of between-the-tires screw chocks (made them myself from sets of pipe clamps and 4x4's), and they work well. And after speaking with several other guys in the park who have the tripods, most of whom highly recommended them, I've been inclined to try one. I did speak to one guy who said he couldn't tell much difference but that his wife insisted on its use. The JT Strongarms are a good suggestion, just not sure I want to part with that much $$ right now. But I do appreciate the comments and suggestions.
Det 1 56th SOWg

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tried a tripod and took it back for a refund after one use. The J.T.'s Strongarms will do more good.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The pin stabilizer won't stabilize the front and rear of the trailer.

I use a aluminum bi pod pin stabilizer which eliminate side to side sway at the front of the trailer.
And of course side to side sway at the rear will need to be addressed. For that job I use the BAL telescoping stabilizer.
And I use adjustable chocks that eliminate fore and aft movement. Medical condition requires me to have a rock solid unit with no bounce/sway.

I've used the bi pod pin stabilizer since 1984 on our first 5th wheel trailer.

You don't have anything yet so I would suggest you look into the JT system or some similar.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't waste your money. I bet if you ask around in your RV park you can get one for free...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I've never tried a tripod as so many have said they offer minimal benefit. I instead installed JT Strong Arms. Huge improvement! I can still feel when people walk in the trailer but far less than without the JT's.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
8ntw8tn wrote:
I've decided to try using a tripod stabilizer while we're spending the winter in the Texas Hill Country. After a reasonable amount of time researching them I've decided on the Ultra-Fab stabilizer and have tentatively narrowed it even further to the aluminum model. According to the specs I've read the aluminum model will support 1200# while the steel model supports up to 1500#. My question, for those in the know, is whether or not that additional 300# is really necessary or desirable, since most of the weight is still being supported by the landing gear. Our 5er has a listed dry weight of 11,200, but I'm estimating it's a good 13k with all of the 'stuff' we bring south with us. I'm OK with buying the steel model if necessary; it's even $20 less expensive but weighs about 20# more. I just don't want to horse that extra weight around if I don't have to, even if it is only twice a year. Opinions?

A lot of people who have actual experience with them will tell you not to waste your money on a tripod and to buy, or build, stabilizer arms that help anchor the landing legs and rear stabilizers. JT Strongarms and BAL are 2 that get mentioned often. Several people have posted DIY stabilizers. Another thing people do is to use between-the-tire screw-tightened chock and jack stands in front and behind the axles to prevent bouncing on the suspension.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member