Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Americas Mailbox, Box Elder SD

beaslwd
Explorer
Explorer
Good?, Bad??

Thinking of becoming a SD full timer and using Americas Mailbox.

I should say we are already full timing and have been for awhile.

The hassles of using someone else's mail box or physical address is getting out of hand, plus our full timers and vehicle insurance just went up by $800 a year for a change of address:M

Yeah I'm not a happy camper right now with the insurance company!!
17 REPLIES 17

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We have been with Alternative Resources for 8 years and have never had a
problem getting mail. For our six months in Florida during the winter,
we get mail drops on the 15th and end of the month. When traveling, we
fill out their mail form and them mail is sent to wherever we happen to be.
Great people and great service.

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
We've been with AMB since 6/2009. We've never had an issue. We stayed at their cg last July to renew our DLs. They will handle most everything you need for setting up your residency in SD. There is a new glitch caused by the Patriot act. When you renew your license, you must have your "original Social Security card". If you don't have it you'll have to go to the SS office in Rapid City to get the correct form validated. I suspect the same applies when setting up the new residence at AMB. Make sure that you do not specify PMB or the banks will dump you like a hot potato. Use the number sign (#) followed by your box number. Don't ask how I know these things.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can only give my experience with them and it was NOT good. I ordered some items online and had them sent via Priority Mail to them. They show that they received them BUT I never got them. Over $250 worth of items. Then I was sent some checks that also did not get through their system to me. During this period I received W-2's for two other mail box users that I returned to AMB. I asked them if they did any internal auditing and the answer was - "we never have any problems so it doesn't pay". I stopped using them the next week and switched to My Dakota Address which does do internal auditing - no problems since. You may never have a problem but if you do you might want someone who can tell you what went on.
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We have used AMB for a year, they just assisted us in changing out our titles. We will be going there in a couple of months to get our DLs. We use them because they are close to Hart Ranch which is one of our membership camps.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only time you need to go to AMB is to get your driver's license. SD requires you to spend ONE night in their State. AMB has full hookup sites and they give you the required paper to hand to the MVD. Took us about 15 mins there..you give them your valid license, fill out and sign an application and they give you your new one on the spot. No drivers test, no written test....AMB can handle all your registration issues unless you prefer to do it yourself. If that's the case, you have to go to the Treasurer's Office...all renewals, except your DL can be handled by AMB....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

beaslwd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks for all the recommendations. We'll be workcamping in Montana this summer, so a quick trip to AMB may be in order. We'll know more tomorrow

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We have been with My Home Address in Emery, SD for about 7 years and would recommend them to anyone. Always friendly & helpful. I have never read a complaint about ANY of the mail forwarding services in SD, there must be one out there but I haven't seen it.

CardinalCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We are happy with AMB,went to there office and used the RV park for 3 days to get all our business taken care of in Rapid CIty..NIce folks and we really like western SD.
Charles & Dawn
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT LX
2000 F-250 PSD 7.3 4x4 Hypertech Power Programmer III, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Air Safe 25K Hitch,Yamaha 125cc Vino Scooter.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Americas Mailbox for 6 years and have always had good service and no problems.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

simsfmly
Explorer
Explorer
We've found the AMB folks to be very helpful and knowledgeable. Been with them for four years.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Been with Alternative for going on nine years, only reason we would change would be a required domicile change, if we had to get off the road.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We went with AMB because it's in Pennington County...there's no wheel tax. This is also our sixth year.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
I've been with Americas Mailbox for 6 yrs and couldn't ask for better service. But all 4 of the professional mail forwarders in SD have excellent reputations.
Jim

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
beaslwd wrote:
Good?, Bad??

Thinking of becoming a SD full timer and using Americas Mailbox.

I should say we are already full timing and have been for awhile.

The hassles of using someone else's mail box or physical address is getting out of hand, plus our full timers and vehicle insurance just went up by $800 a year for a change of address:M

Yeah I'm not a happy camper right now with the insurance company!!

We have been using them since July. If you didn't like your current rate increase, you better check out the rate for SD. Our rates really jumped with a move from FL to SD. The cost of registering the vehicle is also substantially higher than FL. The only change that we will come out ahead is if we buy a new coach and pay only 3% tax instead of the FL 6%. I wish I had known that I could have done the same thing in FL that we are doing in SD but that's water under the bridge.
As to Americas Mailbox, we have no complaints.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?