cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best quality 4 season trailer

Heybro
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the Forest River Rockwood 2506S, and considering buying it, because i only have a half ton truck. I travel for work, so im looking for something thst I can be comfortable living in it full time. However, if my job sends me somewhere with cold temperatures, I need a trailer that can handle it. (In Texas right now).

So does anyone have any suggestions on trailers that are good for all weather, half ton towable, and comfortable for living in full time?
11 REPLIES 11

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
You can bulid up the infloor heat and insulation to make it a cold weather unit, not the walls or roof.

We turned a '97 Holiday Rambler 32 WFS tt into a true cold weather unit, not much cost just thought and work.
The HR was already a high end tt with a 4 season rating, Harumph ! . it lacked dual pane windows, infloor heat other than that provided by the propane furnace.
Beware of MFGR claims of reflective films or any other nonsense that increase R value. Thickness of the insulation is the only true value.

To make our HR into a cold weather unit, ( working winters in Canada) I dropped the aluminum underbelly lowered the axles( raised the trailer) ,screwed 1 1/2" PVC brickmould to the frame heattraced all the waterlines with 5w' heat cable and put old thermostatic waterbed heaters on the tanks. Routed the wiring to the inverter so that when on the road the tow powered the inverter, when parked switched it to shore power.
Adding 1 1/2 " to the frame allowed 1 1/2 high density foam and a new underbelly of coroplast.
Windows we dealt with by having a local shop cut 1/4" plexiglass to fit, secured them with foam tape and mirror turn buttons, Next was a dehumidifier because you must never allow humidity from cooking, showering, breath to condense in the walls. We did it through 3 -40f + winters without freezing
Theres so much more ,as in is there a campsite open, can you use a heated fresh water hose, or just fill your fresh tank as needed from the camp freeze proof hydrant? will the cost of propane and elec. save you, will your proactivity be up to snuff.
It was for us Still is.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot makes a good 4 season trailer. http://bigfootrv.com/
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
My water lines froze one winter (dumb me) and I would not want that to happen again. I question whether there is such a thing as a 4 season RV and, even if there is, are there 4 season campgrounds where the work is?

This is key. I too have a Rockwood with heated tanks and an enclosed underbelly. That said, I've never turned the heated tanks on, as I've never actively camped under 32 degrees. Based on camping we've done where it dropped into the 30's overnight, I expect we'd be fine for a few nights below freezing, but I wouldn't try to camp in WI in January.

The secondary question, however, is where you will be in the winter. I'd have no concerned camping in FL in the winter, but the only WI campgrounds that I know are open in the winter are those with year-round seasonals, and even those don't have water and sewer available in the winter. For a full-time setup, that could become an issue if you are in the north.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My water lines froze one winter (dumb me) and I would not want that to happen again. I question whether there is such a thing as a 4 season RV and, even if there is, are there 4 season campgrounds where the work is?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Outdoors RV MfgOutdoors RV Mfg

They are in Oregon as well. I think there is some kind of familial relationship with Artic Fox/Nash
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic fox
Nash
Outdoors RV
a few others.
In mining towns where housing is often scarce people live all winter in RVs in places like Wyoming and eastern Nevada. Below zero is common.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
For a RV designated as 4 season by a manufacturer, it would depend on what they consider the 4th season WINTER. Winter in Florida, Washington. Minnesota etc. Heater tanks and water systems in some 4 season trailers maybe good for a couple of nights at 20F, minus 20F at night and daytime highs of 10F, Totally different story. Furnace, propane, batteries??

An RV designated as 'light', generally has less insulation or none for the underside, plumbing etc. Single pane windows.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Heybro
Explorer
Explorer
lhenry8113 wrote:
Arctic Fox or Nash both made by Northwood Mfg in La Grande, Or. They make their own trailer as well as the R.V. They are a little pricier but they are well made-and are made and designed as a 4 seasons R.V.
https://northwoodmfg.com/

I am actually very impressed with these. I like this more than the Rockwood so far.

Heybro
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
I see you asked another question about a Rockwood and I answered that one based on that question..

As far as my Rockwood, it has 12v heated tanks and a covered bottom...

I don't ever plan on doing any kind of 'winter' camping with it, so no issue with me on it..

I have had it out in really hot weather and in some mid 40* nights and it gets HOT inside when it's hot, so the A/C is on to keep it 'comfortable' inside and it gets COLD on those cold nights and I had to run the furnace to keep it 'comfortable' even under the bed covers...

Like I said, I don't camp when it's 'freezing' out.. But, when it gets chilly, I'll do what I need to do.

No, the Rockwood is NOT a true "4 season" trailer IMO... Sure, you can probably get thru freezing weather with it.. But, not me! 🙂

Good luck! Mitch

Thank you for your input, I really do appreciate it.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox or Nash both made by Northwood Mfg in La Grande, Or. They make their own trailer as well as the R.V. They are a little pricier but they are well made-and are made and designed as a 4 seasons R.V.
https://northwoodmfg.com/
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see you asked another question about a Rockwood and I answered that one based on that question..

As far as my Rockwood, it has 12v heated tanks and a covered bottom...

I don't ever plan on doing any kind of 'winter' camping with it, so no issue with me on it..

I have had it out in really hot weather and in some mid 40* nights and it gets HOT inside when it's hot, so the A/C is on to keep it 'comfortable' inside and it gets COLD on those cold nights and I had to run the furnace to keep it 'comfortable' even under the bed covers...

Like I said, I don't camp when it's 'freezing' out.. But, when it gets chilly, I'll do what I need to do.

No, the Rockwood is NOT a true "4 season" trailer IMO... Sure, you can probably get thru freezing weather with it.. But, not me! 🙂

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.