cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Timing With Teens

DMalone
Explorer
Explorer
Ya know what...it's clear now that some have utterly missed the actual question and gotten the seriously off the wall impression this was a dire, desperate sort of question when it wasn't.

If you ask a house dweller about full timing in an RV, you'll get one of two likely answers:

I'd love to/wish I could, and
You're crazy!

As it happens, my entire family fall into group 2. I fall into group 1.

Now...being close to a point in time where I will need to pick a direction on residence, I've considered full time RV vs house. I also have a homeschooled 16 y/o.

IF you are a family with teens and you roadschool, and go full time in an RV, please share your suggestions on how you handle some of the typical teenager issues while residing in an RV, and things for them to do.

IF you deal with group 2 sorts and you'e a group 1 sort, please share advice on how you deal/dealt with people who are terrified of risk, change, or living.

IF you don't do either, then I don't need to hear from you because you don't have relatable relevant experience.

My original question regarding "mid life crisis" was not a severe mental issue. It was a nod to making unconventional choices and the reactions of people in group 2 who inevitably think it's nuts ANYWAY.

My original question regarding teens still stands. There are worse things he'll experience in life than spending a couple years living in an RV and seeing the country. I'm not worried about that. I was for a bit but it's been sorted out. I don't need your BS armchair pseudo psych evaluation nor is one warranted just because I make a decision to make my home an RV.

Now..carry on.
27 REPLIES 27

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Things for teens to do?

Same stuff as at home. Give them a spot for a computer / PS4 etc and the campgrounds usually have pools and places for them to play basketball or other types of activities. Aside from the stigma of "you live in a trailer park" there should be enough to keep him busy.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Realistically... First, fulltiming on the road, with a teen unless you are very financially secure, is a real bad idea. Second, not much to keep a teen productive and socially involved. What about schooling?
Yes us guys read the posts. I think you were given great advice; it just wasn't what you wanted to hear.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

om
Explorer
Explorer
DMalone wrote:
Soooo...any chance I can get comments & feedback to the actual question - the one about full timing with teens and stuff for them to do?

Do you guys even read these posts people write?

I think most people read all of your posts, but thought you might need more guidance other than how to entertain your teen son.

Perhaps you gave us too much information in YOUR posts!

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
DMalone wrote:
Soooo...any chance I can get comments & feedback to the actual question - the one about full timing with teens and stuff for them to do?

I read the whole thing. But if I read it correctly, you just won the Lottery because you have an unlimited source of income for now and throughout retirement. Or did I miss something.

Besides, I think you're also doing a disservice to your retired parents living on a fixed income. Have them sell the house and go fulltiming, too?

My parents did that for a few years. Then they moved in with my oldest sister who lived at the Beach and managed to save money with no house mortgage, taxes or insurance to eat into their income.

They are both gone, but we offered to take my mother on the road with us in 2005. My father had been gone for 4 years and she turned us down. But we did take our 4 year old GD on the road for over 18 mos. Once she started Kindergarten, her mother wanted her in school.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

DMalone
Explorer
Explorer

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
We've fulltimed for 7 years. Most parks are full of older folks, or people who are working in the area. It would cost money to be able to do things to keep a teenager interested. Please give your son a chance in life. He needs to finish high school & then go on to some type of higher learning. You don't sound like you have a lot of money if you have to live with family as it is. Workcamping will just supplement your income. It won't be a way to make a living. Life is hard, but it's a whole lot harder if a person has no ability to make enough money to enjoy some things. Maybe you should also go back to school so you can earn some money. If you really want to live in a camper. You could always buy one & park it at a mobile home park. We often call ahead to ask if mobile home parks in an area have a camper site for us. It works out. We've seen families living in campers due to home loss, or having a job they have to travel for. It's very difficult for them to continue education for their children. It's a responsibility to give our kids a chance in life. If your son leaves school now he will pretty much be doomed to work for minimum wage & will fulfill your gloomy prediction for him.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
My opinion is you are thinking of yourself not your son. You never stated your sons age. I think you painted him a pretty bleak picture to manipulate him into your plan. How is going fulltime going to help your son earn a better income or ensure a more stable and productive future? You admit that you have no clue. Don't mean to be hard on you just honest. Good Luck

I agree with everyone's posts on this. You are being selfish and not thinking of your son.

I think you mentioned in another post you are living with family. You should be so lucky to have family that have taken you in and love you and your son and care about you. Do not take that for granted.

How hard is your life really? You just sound like you want to run away and re-live your 20's that you missed out on or something at the expense of your son.

Appreciate your son and the support of your family and do not do this to him for your own selfish reasons. You can wait to hit the road when he finishes school. In the meantime encourage him to get ready for the workforce, what interests him, so he can make more than minimum wage.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I think you did your son a disservice when you used the minimum wage. So, you feel that he will never earn more than minimum? You have no high expectations for him?

You sound pretty selfish to me, sorry.

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Full Time RVing is a chosen life style and is not cheap. Where Im at I pay $400/month for just the site, A well maintained Rv park and I have one of the lake view sites. My Rv was payed in full $70k, But if it wasn't it would on been an additional $500/month over 12 YEARS. And most RV parks have high electricity costs, mine is 14 cents per Kw hour with water and other utilities included in Rent. My average electric bill in the summer is around $180/month and in the winter with various types of space heaters, its $100-$150/month for electricity. And I pay $80/month for satellite TV. I pay $60/Month for RV Insurance. And then their is maintenance, I work for McClains RV supercenter which is where I bought My RV so I payed $50k out the door. I Do pre inspections of new RVs and also show people their new RV when they buy it and do the walk through. My dealer works closely with the Camping World that shares the same building and me and other employees get a 20% discount on items at Camping World and other services. And then theirs maintenance, $1,000 Air conditioners and $4k Refrigerators. I get 1 detail and 1 wash a year for my RV, and depending on how it looks I get it washed before I take my Rv on a trip. So Its not a cheap lifestyle at all.
*******$1200/month for a new Full timer with a similar set up to mine. And that's just RENT, ELECTRICITY, MONTHLY PAYMENTS FOR RV, and INSURANCE. And then theirs the Car(s), food, entertainment, unexpected expenses. You can get a new 2,000 sqft house for that much in my area. So Full-Time RVing is a life style choice, NOT a cheap one.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is you are thinking of yourself not your son. You never stated your sons age. I think you painted him a pretty bleak picture to manipulate him into your plan. How is going fulltime going to help your son earn a better income or ensure a more stable and productive future? You admit that you have no clue. Don't mean to be hard on you just honest. Good Luck
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

om
Explorer
Explorer
I understand this is your dream, but in my opinion-just MY opinion, I would think that it would be in his best interest for you to put this off for the next two years. Then when he is finished with his schooling, be it home schooling or enrolling in a public school, you could go off and live your dreams. We have spent a lot of time traveling and while there are many educational and wonderful experiences out there, I don't see much of a social life for a teen. The exception to that's summer travels, but even then nothing long term. Painting such an ugly picture of life for a 16 year old is not the best, IMHO. Spend the next two years helping him to prepare for a fulfilling and productive life.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
scaring the teen into is not the way to go just be a parentand properly explain to him we all know you are scared as heck.send me a pm i can give you more info and if needed possibly a teens opinion that is living in a rv fulltime with his dad in the park i manage

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Forgove my stupidity but, I fail to understand how living the " full time RV dream " is going to change the possiblity of his future income? Sorry, kinda confused.

Also, you painted a picture of a bed of roses for him. RV ownership and traveling is not all Mai Tai's and yahtzee. It is constant maintenance and work. It is definitely not a
" cheap " lifestyle by any means.

I am not trying to be negative, just realistic. Since you have made your decision, I hope for both of your sakes you have some sort of backup plan in the works, and get a rig with a full warranty, unless you are mechanically inclined.

Best of luck.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us