cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hobbies

RV_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
My husband says I need to get some hobbies. My top favorite things to do is traveling and exploring...but I need something to do in my down time. I need something I can do when we are in our RV "relaxing"...I like to research on the internet and read books but I'd like to do something more "mindless" every once in a while. Any suggestions? What's your favorite in-the-rv hobbies?
RV Wife
The totally awesome RV Daily Life Video Blog Can Be Seen Here
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (17,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee
48 REPLIES 48

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite hobby is smoking premium cigars. You would certainly generate some conversations as there are not many ladies who partake.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Executive wrote:
If my wife is bored, I suggest she wash and wax the coach....:B:B:B.....Dennis

And that was was when the beating started. LOL

She'd have me sleeping on the front seat of the truck!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

And that was was when the beating started. LOL
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
Oh.. I forgot! We keep a couple nice stunt kites in the TT! We do meet some fun people on the beaches when we have them up! It's more my hub's hobby then mine. We really enjoyed the Long Beach Kite Festival last August. While going to a kite festival is not actually a hobby it's super fun. Do an internet search of what's going on in an area you might be passing through and go enjoy the local fun.

Long Beach, WA Kite Festival 8-2013. It's our second year of going and we plan on going next year too! I tried to resize the Nemo picture 3 times.. it's stuck at this size...LOL

~ It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness ~ Dave Barry

Carl, Felicia, Eva & Pip (the fur kids)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Get a large piece of foam board for doing puzzles. It can easily be picked up and moved when you want to eat at the table. Go to the Dollar Store and buy 4 trays for sorting the various colors. They stack nicely when having to move them. Many parks have book/puzzle exchanges.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of hobbies which I do in my RV while full-timing.

1) I purchased a used keyboard and am teaching myself how to play piano. The Casio keyboard I have is for beginners and has instructional read-outs. It also has a head-phone plug so that I donโ€™t disturb others.

2) I love to watch the night sky thru my telescope, especially during times of meteor showers. Looking at the craters on the moon, etc. really puts things in perspective for me. Lots of telescopes come with a computer cd that will tell you where planets, etc, are located in the sky on a certain date at a certain zip code.

There are also online telescope viewing clubs. โ€œSkywatchโ€ is such a club, as well as NASA and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory has a club/Network for ordinary people to periodically report what they see in the night sky. This club was developed after that big meteor lit up the sky and touched down in Russia. The computer software I have is called โ€œDeepsky,โ€ and it came with my telescope.

NASA/JPL Night-sky Program

Skywatch Program
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If you like beer, give beer making a try. It's very easy, and you can make some really good home brews.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
over the years I have had many hobbies. but to do some of them now would be too expensive for some one on retirement pay, so I have gone into RC plane flying. wonderful sport. great to be around people who also fly. only thing is finding a place to fly and we are at the mercy of the winds. unless you do the sail plane thing, then wind is your friend. I like metal detecting also and one I really like is astronomy. love to look at the star clusters. there is much more out there than just Jupiter.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Learn a new language; sketch places you visit; make a quilt / bedspread from t-shirts that have personal meaning to you; build a computer; learn astronomy; join and participate in an online fantasy sport group; learn how to work on the mechanical aspects of your rig, (change brakes, tune-up, change oil, locksmithing); make sculptures out of found objects; learn to play an instrument; learn calligraphy; collect and learn about the flora and fauna in areas you visit - create a scrapbook of specimens; write an autobiography for future generations of your lineage; learn computer programming; make tiled mosaic utilitarian items for use in your RV; get involved in letterboxing or geocaching; create a blog; learn basket weaving and give the baskets as gifts; explore a new category / area of cooking; design items for cafepress; sell items on ebay; delve deeply into the histories of people, places, or things.

What do you love? What have you always wanted to do but didn't have the time? What have you always wanted to try but were afraid? DO THAT.

Edited to add: I just re-read your post. Apologies for missing the "mindless" part. Sorry.

Maybe yoga and or meditation where the whole goal is mindlessness? ๐Ÿ™‚
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you are going to drink as a hobby might as well turn the beer cans into art.........LINK

Carve canes/walking sticks......LINK

Make wood whistles.......LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Metal detectors?
Ray

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
Fly tying. I hang around water. A few feet of mylar tube for minnow imitations, a handfull of jig heads, a bit of gorilla glue (makes great ant and bee bodies), flourescent paints, and a few other odds and ends. Vice clamps right onto the table.
Besides being able to match the local insects, I also make quill bobbers and can do minor tackle repairs with my kit.
Youtube has thousands of instructional vids.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go!!

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
Geneology research.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.