cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of you full timers work only seasonally?

carlsdrivein
Explorer
Explorer
Hello there, I'm new here, and to rving in general but I'd like to ask a few questions regarding what you do for work while on the road. I have a few ideas of ways to make money while I'm gone, I'm a freelance photographer and I'm starting a travel blog with my girlfriend, but I know the likelihood of those supporting us completely are very slim, so I'm interested in other more concrete ways. Ideally I'd like to find something I can do every year for a few months, working nonstop during that time until the job is over, so we can have the rest of the year free to travel. Other than the harvest picking jobs in the lower 48, the only jobs like that I know about are here in Alaska, like fishing lodges, canneries and on the railroad, where you sign a contract for 3-5 months and work 12 hours every day, which is ideal except for that it's in alaska and if we're having to travel all the way back north each year for work, it's gonna get really expensive. So I'm just curious if anyone else knows of any jobs like this in the lower 48, some perhaps you guys do when you're in need of extra cash. Thanks for any suggestions!
17 REPLIES 17

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
missourijan wrote:
There are jobs with the Corp of Engineer parks around the country that pay $70 - $100 every day worked. They are from 4 to 8 months of the year. You have to bid on them. Every park is different as to how many days & hours worked.

DETAILS Details???? Contacts Web sites??

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roofing is a job 6-7 months of the year in the Midwest. Most contractors hire on a job by job basis, so it isn't steady, but build multiple connections and you can stay busy.

Other construction is job based, length depends on type of project. A house being built can keep a crew busy all summer long. A lot of remodeling can be a couple days to a couple weeks per project. Having specific skills help.

Tree trimming can be pretty steady in season, more sporadic when trees not growing because then it is mostly just storm cleanup, and you have to be able to move quickly to where the most recent disaster occured.

All of this is job-based temporary for a contractor, typically hiring for each job, but prove yourself and you get asked back.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
There are jobs with the Corp of Engineer parks around the country that pay $70 - $100 every day worked. They are from 4 to 8 months of the year. You have to bid on them. Every park is different as to how many days & hours worked.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
carlsdrivein wrote:
Hello there, I'm new here, and to rving in general but I'd like to ask a few questions regarding what you do for work while on the road. I have a few ideas of ways to make money while I'm gone, I'm a freelance photographer and I'm starting a travel blog with my girlfriend, but I know the likelihood of those supporting us completely are very slim, so I'm interested in other more concrete ways. Ideally I'd like to find something I can do every year for a few months, working nonstop during that time until the job is over, so we can have the rest of the year free to travel. Other than the harvest picking jobs in the lower 48, the only jobs like that I know about are here in Alaska, like fishing lodges, canneries and on the railroad, where you sign a contract for 3-5 months and work 12 hours every day, which is ideal except for that it's in alaska and if we're having to travel all the way back north each year for work, it's gonna get really expensive. So I'm just curious if anyone else knows of any jobs like this in the lower 48, some perhaps you guys do when you're in need of extra cash. Thanks for any suggestions!

Do you really work 12 hour days everyday, I don't think you could pay me enough to do that

I used to work 15 and 16 hours a day 7 days a week...when you have your own business this is what you do if it is required. And often I was woken in the middle of the night to deal with a problem. (my instructions to my staff)

We own two businesses, we work some long days for one of them but only a couple days, then off for a few weeks.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
carlsdrivein wrote:

Do you really work 12 hour days everyday, I don't think you could pay me enough to do that

I used to work 15 and 16 hours a day 7 days a week...when you have your own business this is what you do if it is required. And often I was woken in the middle of the night to deal with a problem. (my instructions to my staff)

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
From the department of good timing, here is a post about a webinar for the Amazon positions in Kentucky. These are on my radar for a couple of years down the road.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon is the place for you....long hours in a short period of time.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
carlsdrivein wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Without knowing anything about your finances or lifestyle, I would think if both you and your GF work the sugar beet harvest, then Amazon warehouse, you might be able to take the rest of the year off. BTW, the sugar beet harvest is not picking. You work at a central piling station. Both jobs are hard work but good money for seasonal temps.

Also, where is the sugar beet harvest going on?? Is that something you've done? Any clue how much you could make there?

I worked 3 seasons at the beet harvest, 2 as piler operator and 1 as foreman. Pay depends on what job you do. Here's a link to learn more: http://sugarbeetharvest.com/Official start date each year is Oct 1 but the pre-pile starts in September and you can ask to start then. The work isn't as steady in pre-pile but the camping is still paid for.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
There is Gate Guarding.

Also might find something on Coolworks

carlsdrivein
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
Without knowing anything about your finances or lifestyle, I would think if both you and your GF work the sugar beet harvest, then Amazon warehouse, you might be able to take the rest of the year off. BTW, the sugar beet harvest is not picking. You work at a central piling station. Both jobs are hard work but good money for seasonal temps.

Also, where is the sugar beet harvest going on?? Is that something you've done? Any clue how much you could make there?

carlsdrivein
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, 12 hours is pretty long, but I'm on a rotation shift, so it's only on for 3 weeks, then I'm off work for two weeks. What I'm looking for is something like that without the break for a few months, so we could save up enough for the rest of the year of travel.

carlsdrivein
Explorer
Explorer
eichacsj wrote:
Look into contracting house, there are those out there for just about everything. Also some camp host at seasonal RV parks, or camp grounds.

We will be starting soon on the contracting idea traveling in the TT where I get the job. But I need the serious income, at least for a couple more years. Then we plan on just what you are asking. Work a couple of months and then enjoy the country several months.

Enjoy

Do you mean working in construction? That's something I would be interested in, but I'd really like to find something that's going to occur at the same time every year, so I can plan the rest out accordingly. I've been reading up a lot about camp hosting though, seems like a pretty good idea! Also a lot of seasonal work in the national parks seems to pop up in the summer, although I'm sure there's a big pool of people aiming for those jobs as well.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
We work anywhere from 2 to 6 months per year in the RV business. High season stuff. Works for us.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
interesting blog by a person who full times and works part time:
She has worked at Amazon and campgrounds.

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi