cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

park wifi woes

beetle1
Explorer
Explorer
We are new at full-time vacationing (2months)and must report that the three parks we have been in so far have virtually no wifi even when they advertise it free or with a charge. We now just use our at&t phone as our hotspot. Anybody have ideas on this??
69 REPLIES 69

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
closed
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I use Millenicom.com. The 20 Gig plan is $70/month. They sent me a MiFi which runs on the Verizon system (also functions as a router). The MiFi has a battery that's good for at least 6 hours as near as I can tell, otherwise I just leave it plugged in. I also have a Wilson Sleek in my truck and also in my 5th wheel to boost it. You can stick it in your pocket and head off to the beach, park, etc and run anything that is wifi enabled - computers, notebooks, printers, Ipad, Nook, Kindle, etc. I programmed my phone to always search for it and use it if available so I don't go over my phone allowance. I think I can run 5 devices off it at once.

To me this is a great, simple solution. I simply don't care what the campgrounds have. I always know that wherever I go I will have the connectivity I need. I know that some use their phone as a hotspot but I can't do that with mine. Plus I understand that if you do that, then you can't use your phone as a 'phone'. Please correct me if that is an incorrect statement.

I'm sure there are other solutions out there that work equally well. To each their own. But I don't think that any of the real solutions that you will need as you travel from place to place around the country will include campground wifi.

I want to make it clear that I am not knocking the campground owners. As I stated in an earlier post, it can't possibly work. If I was a campground owner, I would provide a few computers in the office area for campers to use (with restrictions) and that would be it.

Tim

beetle1
Explorer
Explorer
I am understanding the campground side of this issue and agree we may not want higher rates, etc. But they should define their wifi capability a little better on their websites. Thanks for the info folks.

beetle1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you guys are right. Just don't count on the campground unless you sit in their office area!! We will explore these boosters and maybe a Verizon second phone for wifi as well.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote:
I bet most of you wouldn't want to pay for these connections you're requesting / expecting. Fact is most service goes unused and then everyone wants to netflix or skype at the same time. To accommodate such would be incredibly costly. Especially given these places are rarely 100% occupied through out the year.

1 50mb pipe which is great service would run around $100 (corporate rates are higher) and would likely work for 3-5 sites depending on what exactly they were streaming at the same time.

You do the math. If you want service like that you need to buy your own modem and get an account with the local cable company. I don't think you can expect a camp ground to invest 7-10k a month in internet plus the infrastructure for the few months people happen to be there.

finally, a post that faces reality and makes sense. and netflix streaming to every site, at the same time? :s
thanks,
bumpy

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
I bet most of you wouldn't want to pay for these connections you're requesting / expecting. Fact is most service goes unused and then everyone wants to netflix or skype at the same time. To accommodate such would be incredibly costly. Especially given these places are rarely 100% occupied through out the year.

1 50mb pipe which is great service would run around $100 (corporate rates are higher) and would likely work for 3-5 sites depending on what exactly they were streaming at the same time.

You do the math. If you want service like that you need to buy your own modem and get an account with the local cable company. I don't think you can expect a camp ground to invest 7-10k a month in internet plus the infrastructure for the few months people happen to be there.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread. Just had a small observation to add to the discussion: Summer 2013 we drove the Alcan through Canada. All along the way, even the smallest mom and pop campground offered fast wifi. I did not stream video but that was during my Farmville addiction time, and I was able to connect and play with no problems. As we traveled north, I noticed that there was a fiber optic cable running along side the highway, probably installed by the Canadian government.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
how do you propose that these campgrounds size the wifi installation? do they go to the extent that each and every site can stream netflix 24/7/365 and that "commercial" users are satisfied. then the cost for a non-user or minimal user would be out of sight.
the solution is simple. buy your own hot spot. don't expect that $17.00 a day campground to provide it.
bumpy

YES. Here I go again, jumping ahead...
But YES.
EVERY campground that dares claim FREE WIFI should base that on supporting at least ONE Netflix type streaming video connection to each and every campsite.

That is simply the currently acceptable minimum standard.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Paul

It might be the different areas that we live and recreate. For example, where we live, we got DSL less than 8 months ago. Before that we had satellite service.

There are several CGs with 100+ sites near us that do not have broadband service. They do have satellite service which is wholly inadequate for streamming of any kind.

While RVing, fortunately, we have no need for internet service. If we did it would have to be cell based if cell is available.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
MY QUOTE from Page 2 of this thread:
How do these examples differ significantly from the typical CG with 100-200 sites? ASSUMING that they have access to broadband service, of course. The CG we frequent has access to BOTH high speed cable and Fios service.

sh410 wrote:
Not all CGs have access to broadband access like FIOS,cable,T1 or T3. My guess is that only CGs near urban areas have that kind of access, with many rural CGs might be lucky to have DSL available.

It is unreasonable to expect the more rural CGs to have the kind of access that you might have at home.

If you need broadband service 24/7 while RVing then you will need to stay in those parks that have the service you want near urban areas or provide your own internet service.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Not all CGs have access to broadband access like FIOS,cable,T1 or T3. My guess is that only CGs near urban areas have that kind of access, with many rural CGs might be lucky to have DSL available.

It is unreasonable to expect the more rural CGs to have the kind of access that you might have at home.

If you need broadband service 24/7 while RVing then you will need to stay in those parks that have the service you want near urban areas or provide your own internet service.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
and to Quote ME AGAIN:
To reject change will only serve to get you run-over when it happens, which is inevitable. We spend 7 - 8 months in our rig. I want broadband access with no limits. I'll be perfectly willing to pay for the service. Campgrounds need to move into the 21st century and make it happen. "

paulcardoza wrote:
to Quote ME!
How do these examples differ significantly from the typical CG with 100-200 sites? ASSUMING that they have access to broadband service, of course. The CG we frequent has access to BOTH high speed cable and Fios service. They also have a terrific wifi network throughout the CG where you can easily get a strong wifi signal ANYWHERE. HOWEVER, they offer only TengoInternet over wifi, which is legendary for their dreadful service. The obviously spent a fortune on infrastructure, but are using dime-store service! Hook up a 500/100 broadband pipe and start charging for the service, with a login assigned to peeps who pay. If half the sites (100) sign up for half the days each month, cost would be 33 cents per day. The big chunk of $$$$ has already been spent on the park infrastructure!

Bumpyroad wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
Another naysayer, who clearly won;t take the time to read, before posting how impossible change is..... Be realistic Bumpy and maybe you'll see what is possible these days. Also, please read my previous posts so you actually understand what my expectations are, as far as cost goes.... :R

Bumpyroad wrote:
how do you propose that these campgrounds size the wifi installation? do they go to the extent that each and every site can stream netflix 24/7/365 and that "commercial" users are satisfied. then the cost for a non-user or minimal user would be out of sight.
the solution is simple. buy your own hot spot. don't expect that $17.00 a day campground to provide it.
bumpy

to quote you
"Unfortunately, times are changing rapidly. Whether we like it or not, the expectations for Internet access are not what they were, even just a few years ago. High speed broadband access is widely available. The ability to stream and download large amounts of data is looked at as completely normal. Music, Movies, TV, etc., etc., etc.... I can't remember the last time I turned on a radio or played a CD!

Campgrounds remain woefully behind this curve. We can hem & haw about the reasons, the costs or whatever, but at some point the situation needs to change. YES, it may drive up the cost of staying in a private campground and certainly there will be as many folks angry over it as there are elated!

To reject change will only serve to get you run-over when it happens, which is inevitable. We spend 7 - 8 months in our rig. I want broadband access with no limits. I'll be perfectly willing to pay for the service. Campgrounds need to move into the 21st century and make it happen. "

why should campgrounds spend the extra money required for meeting your specific needs. RoyB provided one way out for you. you say you are willing to pay for the wifi, so do it. don't expect all campgrounds to have elaborate systems so that you can be satisfied. they are in the business to cater to their clientele. not to the person demanding perfect and massive service.
you want unlimited broadband service. so spend the $69 on a hot spot and don't drive the costs of our camping upward.

bumpy
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
to Quote ME!
How do these examples differ significantly from the typical CG with 100-200 sites? ASSUMING that they have access to broadband service, of course. The CG we frequent has access to BOTH high speed cable and Fios service. They also have a terrific wifi network throughout the CG where you can easily get a strong wifi signal ANYWHERE. HOWEVER, they offer only TengoInternet over wifi, which is legendary for their dreadful service. The obviously spent a fortune on infrastructure, but are using dime-store service! Hook up a 500/100 broadband pipe and start charging for the service, with a login assigned to peeps who pay. If half the sites (100) sign up for half the days each month, cost would be 33 cents per day. The big chunk of $$$$ has already been spent on the park infrastructure!

Bumpyroad wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
Another naysayer, who clearly won;t take the time to read, before posting how impossible change is..... Be realistic Bumpy and maybe you'll see what is possible these days. Also, please read my previous posts so you actually understand what my expectations are, as far as cost goes.... :R

Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

to quote you
"Unfortunately, times are changing rapidly. Whether we like it or not, the expectations for Internet access are not what they were, even just a few years ago. High speed broadband access is widely available. The ability to stream and download large amounts of data is looked at as completely normal. Music, Movies, TV, etc., etc., etc.... I can't remember the last time I turned on a radio or played a CD!

Campgrounds remain woefully behind this curve. We can hem & haw about the reasons, the costs or whatever, but at some point the situation needs to change. YES, it may drive up the cost of staying in a private campground and certainly there will be as many folks angry over it as there are elated!

why should campgrounds spend the extra money required for meeting your specific needs. RoyB provided one way out for you. you say you are willing to pay for the wifi, so do it. don't expect all campgrounds to have elaborate systems so that you can be satisfied. they are in the business to cater to their clientele. not to the person demanding perfect and massive service.
you want unlimited broadband service. so spend the $69 on a hot spot and don't drive the costs of our camping upward.

bumpy
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

to quote you

bumpy