cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

your rig

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
this is a question my wife ask . so how long on average do fulltimers keep there rigs before tradeing it in another one. looking to fulltime soon
21 REPLIES 21

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
we bought our DP in 2005 and have been full timing since 2009. Same rig. No plans to trade it in. We haven't found one we like better. Ours is 33' with 2 slides.

Just checked that Allure out online..... Very nice. I like the size!
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
First new trailer was a 1991 NuWa 40ft Champange, traded it in 1998 for a 38ft Champagne, still have it. Maintenance is the magic word.

Jim

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our fulltime 5er used been in it for 5 years it's now eleven years old plan on keeping it till I win the lotto or the wheels fall off then buy another good used unit. We have replaced a few things, new window coverings in BR, DW wants new carpet and window coverings in the living room. We really like the floorplan.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
For us, the biggest headache as full timers was initial warranty work on our new rig. If you are traveling all over you probably will not be close to your "selling dealer" when a repair is needed that first year or two. At least with Keystone Montana dealers it was like pulling teeth to get them to honor our factory warranty in a timely manner since we didn't purchase the unit from them. For that reason we wouldn't be trading very often as full timers.

But the main reason we would stay in a unit for up to 10 years before trading would be modifications and maintenance. Once you get the bugs worked out of a new fiver and get all the options installed you need/want it is time to sit back and enjoy. I really don't think it is much different than owning a sticknbrick in that respect, you probably wouldn't switch houses every 2 or 3 years.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

lj_cox
Explorer
Explorer
After 18 months of looking at new fifthwheels, we purchased our current rig in 2008 to vacation in, and in 2010 we realized we weren't at the house enough to make the house worth keeping. Been fulltiming since then. We have a 34 ft Hitchhiker II LS and we love it. We keep looking at newer rigs but with the mods we've done over time to this one, nothing new is near as good. Swapped out the old nasty carpet this year, and will likely keep upgrading things here and there until we're forced into a new rig.
We're full-timing now, loving our cabin (fifthwheel) on the lake/at the beach/in the mountains/close to the city.

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
I read someplace full-timer RVers trade for something different every three to four years.

Not us. Have the same 5th wheel trailer since we started full-time RVing October 2004. But then have the same truck too.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I've talked to a lot of full-timers over the years before we started full-timing, and in the time since.

If the couple/ person were not experienced long time RVers - they tended to purchase a second full-time rig within two-three years of starting to full-time. Didn't get it right the first time. (Applies to us - we have realized we would be better off in a 33-34 ft gas class A).

Once folks get a rig they like and that works for them - they tend to keep it for many years.

Full-timers seem to prefer to keep their rig 6-10 years. The number of full-timers I've met with over 10 year old rigs is significant, but most would like to get a newer rig, but haven't found one which fits their needs and budget.

Experienced full-timers seem to be very comfortable with purchasing a used 3-5 year old rig and keeping it for 10 years.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We used our 33' 5th wheel for 8 years.

We used the 40' motorhome for 10 years.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Holiday Rambler we purchased in 2006. Would like to get a new one but no one makes the floor plan we have any more and we are not willing to give it up. Our solution was to get the interior updated last year with new carpet, new tile, new MCD shades through out, and a home style refrigerator.

Now good for another 7 years.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Been in ours, full time, since June 2006.

It needs some things refreshed, like upholstery, and window treatments.

We are going to keep it or buy new.

Right now we haven't reached a decision.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
musicman54 wrote:
this is a question my wife ask . so how long on average do fulltimers keep there rigs before tradeing it in another one. looking to fulltime soon

My husband traded up several times and now wants to do it again. He can't seem to find an RV he's satisfied with. Now he wants a Class-A gas-guzzler. :R
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
Started fulltiming in June 2003. Bought our fiver in October 2003. Only took us about 18-22 months to decide what we wanted. Now we had RVed since 1976. We still have that fiver and certainly are not trading or the buzz word of the day "upgrading". We went to Alaska last summer as we travel during the summer then stay put in Yuma, AZ. for the winter. As far as we are concerned there is nothing out there on the market that compares to what we have.
nice what is it that you have thats so great and tv

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Started fulltiming in June 2003. Bought our fiver in October 2003. Only took us about 18-22 months to decide what we wanted. Now we had RVed since 1976. We still have that fiver and certainly are not trading or the buzz word of the day "upgrading". We went to Alaska last summer as we travel during the summer then stay put in Yuma, AZ. for the winter. As far as we are concerned there is nothing out there on the market that compares to what we have.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
we bought our DP in 2005 and have been full timing since 2009. Same rig. No plans to trade it in. We haven't found one we like better. Ours is 33' with 2 slides.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi