cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$1300 for an inpsection?

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for someone to inspect a Class A diesel at MHSRV.

Google turned this up:
https://rvinspection.com/class-a-motorhome-rv-inspection/

$1295 for an inspection that would look for water intrusion. Am i wrong to think this should be cheaper? I paid less to inspect a 6br home...
2009 Fleetwood Excursion 40x DP
Photographer: www.certainpointofview.com
25 REPLIES 25

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
hey all, many thanks for all the responses. I can't tell you all how much I learn here everyday.

In the end, i held off on the coach. I don't mind paying good money for an inspection, but I'm in Florida, the coach was in Texas, and the salesperson was telling me the dealer wouldn't put the coach through their shop to inspect it. They wanted me to do the inspection first.

Ultimately, I wasn't willing to do that. I wanted some assurance from the dealer that the coach was examined without me putting my own money into it sight unseen.
2009 Fleetwood Excursion 40x DP
Photographer: www.certainpointofview.com

AndyW
Explorer
Explorer
I used this service for an inspection on a used class C:

http://www.carzinspection.com/

I'm sure quality varies based on the individual performing the inspection, but they test drove it, went up on the roof, took a dozen or so pictures, noted potential water intrusions and damage, tested the appliances, and addressed specific questions I had about the unit that the seller couldn't answer. All for $250.

In my case I was buying a pretty cheap used unit sight unseen, and just wanted to make sure it wasn't a complete pile of garbage. The inspection served it's purpose, and I was quite happy with what I got.

The only thing they didn't catch was a vibration above 60mph that ended up being fixed by an alignment and/or new tires (not sure which).

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I can't say the same for RV inspectors or their contracts but I would bet there is something similar in that field too. Not everyone is just out to take your money and useless. Any contract for inspections should list those things to be inspected and as such you do have recourse regardless of statements of non liability.

It's called NRVIA

I followed the link and to me it seems pretty comprehensive, I would question an inspection of some things they list, which was extensive. I personally wouldn't inspect anything regarding the chassis or component of the drive train or exhaust, belts and hoses.

It even seems that they have folks available for things that you might have questions about. I know there aren't enough certified NRVIA members to assign a mentor to each inspector but someday hopefully. I'm going to see if I can find an inspector in my area for more information about disclosures and exclusions.

Thank you jplante4 for the info.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I can't say the same for RV inspectors or their contracts but I would bet there is something similar in that field too. Not everyone is just out to take your money and useless. Any contract for inspections should list those things to be inspected and as such you do have recourse regardless of statements of non liability.

It's called NRVIA
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at this another way. I see hourly rates as high as $130 an hour her in So Cal. How many hours would it take to do a thorough inspection and then write up a decent report? I'm guessing you could easily spend six hours inspecting the rig and then two more hours to write up a nice summary of the findings. I would not expect to pay $130 an hour. But, I would think if you really wanted a "A" person, he would need to make at least $80 an hour. 8 hours at $80 an hour is $640.

For that $640, I would expect a fairly detailed report on the findings. Not just a bunch of check marks next to boxes indicating that something was looked at.
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
If you go to their webpage you will find that the inspection contract, with the fine print, is not there. I am sure that what the fine print says, based on looking at other inspection contracts for vehicles and houses, is that anything the inspector misses becomes your problem, not his. They do not offer any guaranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the inspection.
Not saying that the inspector would not do a thorough inspection of the house portion, but the mechanical portion of the inspection , including engine, transmission, drive train, and suspension seems to be lacking.

California for all it's Nanny laws does not license Home inspectors but the industry does self regulate to a degree. There is an organization for RE Inspectors called CREIA, California Real Estate Inspectors Association. The standards are very strict and E&O insurance is mandatory. No exclusion clause in CREIA contracts. There is a detailed list of items they inspect and the Errors and Omissions insurance covers those items.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not seeing a lot of pre-buy business. Most of my inspections come after the rig has been purchased and the new owner needs to figure out what to fix or how to operate various systems before their first trip. I had one last month for a TT that wasn't going to move from the spot in the local trailer park. The buyer had no idea how to operate anything. the roof was shot and I called around to find someone who would go to the park to fix it.

When I started doing inspections, I figured the lending companies would want a condition inspection done before financing, or that the third party warranty companies would want an initial inspection. I haven't had any of these. I have yet to do a complete pre-purchase inspection. BTW I charge way less than $1300.

I'm guessing the decision to buy is not based on whether it's a good decision but more on emotional, I like the interior colors type thing.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Executive wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Executive wrote:
I can't even fathom the COST of insurance the companies would have to carry if their inspectors DROVE the coach as part of the inspection process!!....Dennis

My insurance covers anyone that drives any one of my vehicles if they have my permission.
Excess liability is usually covered by the basic liability insurance company required by any business operating with a license.

That's nice, Ron. BUT...the OP does NOT yet OWN the vehicle so they would NOT be covered even WITH YOUR PERMISSION....just sayin....Dennis

I have to assume that the potential buyer would not even be allowed to do a complete inspection without the permission of the owner of the coach. The current owner can certainly refuse to allow anyone to drive HIS coach, but it is doubtful he would do that if he wants to sell it.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Executive wrote:
I can't even fathom the COST of insurance the companies would have to carry if their inspectors DROVE the coach as part of the inspection process!!....Dennis

My insurance covers anyone that drives any one of my vehicles if they have my permission.
Excess liability is usually covered by the basic liability insurance company required by any business operating with a license.

That's nice, Ron. BUT...the OP does NOT yet OWN the vehicle so they would NOT be covered even WITH YOUR PERMISSION....just sayin....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Executive wrote:

So, if you test drive a motorhome and YOU wreck or damage it, you would pay out of your pocket????? Doug

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Executive wrote:

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you go to their webpage you will find that the inspection contract, with the fine print, is not there. I am sure that what the fine print says, based on looking at other inspection contracts for vehicles and houses, is that anything the inspector misses becomes your problem, not his. They do not offer any guaranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the inspection.
Not saying that the inspector would not do a thorough inspection of the house portion, but the mechanical portion of the inspection , including engine, transmission, drive train, and suspension seems to be lacking.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I make a living in the Home Inspection business and I'm always interested in watching the integration of inspections into RV purchases. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the $1300 inspection that "includes looking for water intrusion" uses a thermal imaging camera. If that's the case a good chunk of the money you are paying is for the equipment used.

While thermal imaging has its place, it's common in the Home Inspection industry for a guy to miss major things elsewhere while burying his face behind the expensive camera so beware of that.

Home Inspections in most states have licensing, Standards of Practice and years of consumer vs. inspector disputes to learn from. RV inspections? Probably not the same. I'd be curious to see the contract the RV inspector uses. In the residential industry all contracts will have a limitation of liability clause (where they are legal) that limits the inspector's exposure to the fee paid. I'd expect something similar in the RV inspection but with the industry being so new it's hard to say.

Knowing what I know after 15+ years of inspecting something worth a lot of $$, if I were looking around for an RV inspection I'd probably just try to spend a lot of time on the phone or email to get a good feeling about the guy doing the inspection. Most importantly..... and this is CRITICAL. Read the fine print of the contract and anything else the inspector puts in front of you. Far too many people assume things and it leads to huge headaches later. Trust me, the headaches are on both sides. Make sure you are 100% sure of what you are getting for your money.