cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2,200 watt Inverter Generator

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any knowledge about the new Predator inverter generator (item # 61169) at Harbor Freight. The specs claim 2,200 watts (2,500 watts surge), super quiet at 64db (but distance not known), 23"L x 13"W x 19"H and 64 pounds. One problem I see is only about 5 to 5-1/2 run time.
9 REPLIES 9

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a long-running thread (280 page) The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator that discusses the Champion unit.

(There is an even older longer thread on alternate generator sets. 3000W Chinese Gensets Info. Because of the age of this thread, it might be easier to read with the 994 pages reversed with the newest being first. That option is in the grayish blue line near the top.)*
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

gerrym51
Explorer
Explorer
DonNH wrote:
PSW wrote:
In the last two camping seasons we have had to change campsites on several occassions because of Harbor Freight and other similar gensets. They are so loud you simply can't be camped near them and have any kind of enjoyment. Yes, they are cheap....in more ways than price.

I enjoy Harbor Freight and was there last week buying "stuff", but you really get what you pay for particularly in a generator.

PSW

Were these inverter generators or the standard "open frame" generators? Any of the open frame units will be loud.

I'm in the market for a generator myself. Will definitely go for an inverter type. Can get a 2KW Generac conveniently, but see lots of bad reviews. A neighboring camper last year had the Ryobi, which was impressively quiet. Was looking hard at Champion, but can't seem to find locally.
There are a few under $500 which I think are likely to be too cheap to trust. Then there are several at $600 which are probably a good value. Then there are the Honda & Yamaha at $1K.
Decisions, decisions . . . . . .

people read the words inverter-and think they are all like honda/yamaha as far as loudness.

although i believe they all deliver the watts they say-from my research it only appears honda/yamaha are the really low sounders.

you have to look at each generators specs and read what the dbl is and at what distance.

if sound volume is not the prime consideration i agree at least 1/2 a dozen models of inverter generators will do.

DonNH
Explorer
Explorer
PSW wrote:
In the last two camping seasons we have had to change campsites on several occassions because of Harbor Freight and other similar gensets. They are so loud you simply can't be camped near them and have any kind of enjoyment. Yes, they are cheap....in more ways than price.

I enjoy Harbor Freight and was there last week buying "stuff", but you really get what you pay for particularly in a generator.

PSW

Were these inverter generators or the standard "open frame" generators? Any of the open frame units will be loud.

I'm in the market for a generator myself. Will definitely go for an inverter type. Can get a 2KW Generac conveniently, but see lots of bad reviews. A neighboring camper last year had the Ryobi, which was impressively quiet. Was looking hard at Champion, but can't seem to find locally.
There are a few under $500 which I think are likely to be too cheap to trust. Then there are several at $600 which are probably a good value. Then there are the Honda & Yamaha at $1K.
Decisions, decisions . . . . . .

PSW
Explorer
Explorer

PSW
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

gerrym51
Explorer
Explorer
I actually think the predatorwill do everything it's specs say

but 64 decibels is not quiet.

sound doubles about every 10 decibles(at least thats what i've read)

so ifthe honda is 53 decibles at 1/4 power 64 decibles is twice the sound.

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
loving retirement wrote:
Anyone have any knowledge about the new Predator inverter generator (item # 61169) at Harbor Freight. The specs claim 2,200 watts (2,500 watts surge), super quiet at 64db (but distance not known), 23"L x 13"W x 19"H and 64 pounds. One problem I see is only about 5 to 5-1/2 run time.

One reason Harbor Freight has cheap prices, is the products are cheap. I'm not a snob about them. I buy a lot of stuff there. I'll go in for one thing and walk out with 4, or 5, or 9 and so on. I especially like to go there to get stuff to make custom tools. i.e. saw the handle off to make a longer with with odd curves to clear something.

On something like a generator that will get a lot of use I generally will spend the extra to get better quality. You might get something for 1/4 the price but in the period of time the better one will last, you might replace the cheapie 6 times.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with others. 64 dbA is _not_ 'quiet'. It's especially potentially misleading without either distance _or_ load. RPM's (and noise) increase with load on an inverter unit. They could have measured it at 23' & 1/4 load; it's still loud, but would be worse, maybe much worse, at 3/4 load.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
64db is not quiet.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

gerrym51
Explorer
Explorer
loving retirement wrote:

a honda 2000 is 53 decibels at 1/4 load and 59 at full power.

so sound is ?.

secondly the problem most 2000 watts generators is surge-how big is your air conditioner-if its 11,000 or less you have a shot

the predator is still going to be much louder than the honda-remember sound increases exponentially with db

i found this video

linky