cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 sets of bunk beds?

mama_page
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, we are currently have (and live in, yes by choice;) a 5th wheel. It was a perfect choice when we have 2 kids 100 years ago.... queen "master", dining table converts to bed, jack knife sofa sleeper. Fast forward to now. We are living in the 5th wheel, traveling the country, and have of FIFTH baby on the way and are totally out of room! We want to upgrade to a Class A. I prefer to have beds this time. I have seen travel trailers with L-bunks, or side by side twin sized bunks, but not Class A's as of yet (I'm very early in my search too). Anyways... We would prefer to NOT have any type of sofa sleeper that we wold have to use. And we love the U-shaped dining seats. Any models I should search for? TIA
Traveling, roadschooling, crunchy, minimalist mama to 4 beautiful babies and one on the way!
13 REPLIES 13

franciskyle
Explorer
Explorer
We had made the custom size wooden loft beds for kids. The design and color was decided by them. Also it had a ladder and a desk attached to it for them to study or read or do their homework. The green color bunk bed is still in a good condition.

Entropy69
Explorer
Explorer
I have done a ton of research on this topic since I have three kids and have long been looking for a Class A with 4 permanent berths suitable for full-timing with my family. Given the research I've done, I'm fairly certain that there are few if any Class A's with double bunks that came that way from the factory. And there aren't a whole lot with one set of bunks either. In general, class A's are mostly geared toward couples, though that's changing a bit.

If you really want a class A and need 5 permanent berths, I think you will have little choice but to find a modifiable floorplan that works for your family and provides room to add the sleeping space you need. I've seen various closets removed to add bunks and even a couple of cases where a couch in a slide was removed to add a set of bunks.

Others mentioned toyhaulers and that is a pretty good option if you are at all handy or can afford a few thousand dollars to hire a carpenter to fit out the space for your specific needs. Toyhauler garages are usually 8-10 feet in length and 8 feet wide, which is certainly big enough to put sleeping for 4 or more.

Someone also mentioned a bus conversion, specifically a design called an "entertainer." These are buses typically used by travelling music groups and feature 6-12 bunks plus lots of seating. Usually there isn't a master bed in the back, but one can be added. There are a lot of these for sale if you google around, but many of these have been ridden hard and put away wet. And these are commercial bus platforms, so be sure you know what you're getting into if you decide to go that route.

Another option, if you're willing to consider it, is a "Super C" class C. Many of these have one set of bunks, plus room for two over the cab, plus a regular bedroom. Most importantly, they have the GVWR to safely carry your family and stuff, unlike a regular class C. Nexus RV just came out with a Super C that includes a U Dinette. I haven't seen one yet, but here is the floorplan. There are not, unfortunately, a lot of Super C's still in production, but they seem to be making a comeback, or at least are starting too.

Sorry if any of this was stuff you already knew - I err on the side of too much info rather than not enough! Good luck and please post what you find!
2007 Four Winds 5000 28A
Chevy Workhorse Chassis, 6.0L Vortec

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at older Prevosts. Some have bunk beds for six, which may be right up your alley!
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry re-read post, you said two sets of bunk beds the one I mentioned has 1 set, two beds. Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say if used or new. They have a 2008 Winnebago Vectra with two bunk beds at Tom Johnson RV Center in NC.

Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi

FuzzyKnight
Explorer
Explorer
Tioga, Class C, has 4 bunk beds in their 29Z. We had one when te kid were young. It was great
Fuzzy and Mary
1994 Pace Arrow 33
1928 Model A
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original factory V8 4 spd
1963 Fairlane SportsCoupe
1965 Honda SuperHawk

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what your TV is, but if we had our children with us, I think a TH would work best for us. I like the style that KZ makes. It has the upper loft bed accessed from the inside of the unit. It's easier to cram multiple kids onto a Qn/King size mattress than individual bunks.

Many TH's have 2 dropdown beds for night and go up to ceiling in the day, so you can use the 'garage' as a classroom or playroom in rainy weather. Or you can install 2 sets of bunks as needed.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

jferre9570
Explorer
Explorer
How about a used "entertainer" coach? Bus For SalePrices sort high to low, so scroll down 😉
John & Diane
1996 Beaver Monterey 3403
2005 Honda CRV toad

tnclays
Explorer
Explorer
Check that---it is a 33.3 Bunkhouse model--- about 35' DP Cummins.

tnclays
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a Thor Palazzo (?)--they have an electric queen bunk that drops down over the driver's area; and a bunkhouse model with a slide having two single bunks; plus sofabed.

This is in a DP model--think it is 32BH.

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a Newmar Allstar 3950. It was made for a few years around '08 and '09.
Mid engine design allows for the master bedroom to be where the engine usually is in a diesel pusher. Has a bedroom for kids above the master bedroom. They also made a touhauler version that would work for you if you installed bunks in the garage.
Spartan chassis mid engine, low CG. 400hp. lots of good points. Poor engine access for maint.
most likely a bit noisy. Didn't sell well so discountinued
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Thor Outlaw toy hauler. It does not have bunks but it has a large space for hauling things and it is has a queen bed for that space. I would think it would be easy to install two sets of bunk beds in that area. Two by fours with lag bolts and ply wood bottoms can create so great beds and anchoring to wall should be easy. You can build them to fit the size you think you will need. Then memory foam mattress trimmed to fit. The main living area has a queen size loft that is really quite neat. Then you can have a separate tv area with another bed option from couch and dinette in front area with another couch if needed for sleeping. That toy hauler space has some options that might just fit your needs. I love the idea of a bunk room for the kids. You could even do triples if needed for kids. Good luck.

Camper_Mama_Bea
Explorer
Explorer
I hope someone knows of a class a with double bunks, I have only seen class a with a single bunch and it was behind bi-fold like a closet. you will find what you are looking for in a tt or 5er, have seen many different models with all the features you are looking for.
Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.