cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 Monaco Diplomat

tpwelker
Explorer
Explorer
I have come across a 2000 Monaco Diplomat 38A pushed by a 315hp cummings turbo. I was really excited about possibly purchasing this rig until I talked to a gentleman today at an RV dealership. I asked if they had any Monaco rigs and he said that they were out of business and he wouldn't even take in any used units. The following is the list of cons that he gave me and took all the wind out of my sail. But good to know if it is all true. Any help and thoughts from the net would be greatly appreciated.

1) Monaco is out of business and you can't get parts.
2) There are possibly thousands of dollars of recalls on the rig that you can't get parts for.
3) The diesel engine is really a 300 small block chipped up to be a 315 which lacks the torque needed to pull mountains and such.
4) Claimed the Ford v10 is the way to go.
5) Too expensive to maintain, an oil change is $500, oil filter alone cost $300.

Thanks,
Todd
14 REPLIES 14

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
A Diplomat is going to be an 8.3 liter ISC, always (unless it is a newer one which had an 8.9 liter ISL)

This is a great engine. If it's electronic in that year, it can be chipped to 425HP. If it's mechanical, you can do that with a screwdriver....
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 2000 Diplomat and a 2004. The engine is an ISC in both. I found the power to be adequate for the coach under all circumstances throughout the country. The ISC is a very reliable engine with reasonable maintenance costs when compared to other diesels.You will find very few people who once they have a diesel go back to a gas engine.

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
P3TC wrote:
Horsepuky

I have a 98 Dip...its made out of the same parts as many other manufacturers...no problem...and Monaco is IN business, and have customer service over the phone.

The 5.9 L (small block) is a fine engine, I have it and does great

Sure I would rather have the 8.3 L for torque, but it gets good mileage.

The oil change is more like $200 including filter, it is a common one.

Look at some posts on the class A forum for Diesel vs Gas info.

X2 I love mine.

Terry

If a salesmans mouth is moving.....

Bill
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
6 gallons of oil (Rotella) is $80 at Sams club. That will do my engine and generator. Engine oil filter, 2 engine fuel filters, generator oil & fuel filter, all cost me $90 for a total of $170. Sometimes I do the labor myself and sometimes I pay a friend to do it. He charges me $100 labor. Oil change needed every 15,000 miles or once per year. Gas engine needs a change every 3,500 to 5,000 miles.

The 5.9 is a great engine. A friend had one in a 38' coach that I drove over 5,000 miles. It is a little slow on the big hills but cruises down the interstate as fast as you want to go. I now have the 8.3. I might be going 50 at the top of the hill and he will be doing 45.

Ditto.

My Jeanette is a 2000 38' Diplomat. She purrs like a really big kitten and runs very well. She doesn't like the REALLY big inclines, so I gear down, and move over where I can. She always forgives me. I have never had an issue getting parts.

Double check the slides and seals. Mine were original and in need of replacement.

No regrets. Great coach.

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
6 gallons of oil (Rotella) is $80 at Sams club. That will do my engine and generator. Engine oil filter, 2 engine fuel filters, generator oil & fuel filter, all cost me $90 for a total of $170. Sometimes I do the labor myself and sometimes I pay a friend to do it. He charges me $100 labor. Oil change needed every 15,000 miles or once per year. Gas engine needs a change every 3,500 to 5,000 miles.

The 5.9 is a great engine. A friend had one in a 38' coach that I drove over 5,000 miles. It is a little slow on the big hills but cruises down the interstate as fast as you want to go. I now have the 8.3. I might be going 50 at the top of the hill and he will be doing 45.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I`m assuming the sales person at the dealership was wanting to sell you what they had, and was trying to talk you out of what you were looking at! typical salesman BS.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will find that the 2000 Cummins 315 was an ISC, NOT the smaller ISB. Salesmen usually embellish some facts, but to outright lie about every item like he did would send me miles from the dealer....

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
All those topics have been discussed at length including the un-informed and/or lying salesperson.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
Was the salesman's lips moving? Every word out was a lie!
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

tpwelker
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on looking at the rig with an open mind, but before any done deal, I will have it checked out at a service center. 10K miles on a 14 year old unit is scary in some ways.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The salesman was full of it - just look at his price for the oil change. I haven't owned that engine, but at the most it takes 20 qts of oil. At $7 a quart, that's only $140. After you throw in the filter, labor and maybe an oil disposal fee, it doesn't come close to $500.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basically, everything the salesman said was nonsense. Run, not walk, away from that guy. I do not have a Monoco but I have looked at a lot of them.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

P3TC
Explorer
Explorer
Horsepuky

I have a 98 Dip...its made out of the same parts as many other manufacturers...no problem...and Monaco is IN business, and have customer service over the phone.

The 5.9 L (small block) is a fine engine, I have it and does great

Sure I would rather have the 8.3 L for torque, but it gets good mileage.

The oil change is more like $200 including filter, it is a common one.

Look at some posts on the class A forum for Diesel vs Gas info.

If a salesmans mouth is moving.....

Bill
:)1998 Monaco Diplomat

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
You know it never stops amazing how many back ends of the bull there are....

Let me answer your questions with bona fine facts 1 at a time..

1) Monaco is out of business and you can't get parts.
2) There are possibly thousands of dollars of recalls on the rig that you can't get parts for.
3) The diesel engine is really a 300 small block chipped up to be a 315 which lacks the torque needed to pull mountains and such.
4) Claimed the Ford v10 is the way to go.
5) Too expensive to maintain, an oil change is $500, oil filter alone cost $300.

1. Monaco is in business and is owned now by Allied Recreational Group...which owns American Coach and Fleetwood..support is available as well as any part you want. 877 466 6226 and with your coach # they can get you anything.

2. There is a recall on the RR4R chassis that the old Monaco escaped, BUT widely available good parts (Source Engineering) for that..which does NOT apply to this coach anyway.

3. My friend has the exact same coach...no engine issues...no, it won't fly but once you get up to speed it's a great cruiser.. He has put many thousands of miles on his only buying tires/and an AC thermostat for the house went when it was 95 outside..bypassed it, until he got a replacement on ebay.

4. Ford V10 is a good motor, but drive both..front gas, rear diesel...you have to decide that for yourself.

5. Speedco does oil changes for the diesels and fuel filters for about 300 total...The diesel shop 2minutes from my home wanted 400 and because he answers my phone calls with all my cars, etc. not to mention convenience,fuel etc..I Went locally...he also lets me use his pit at anytime...which was convenient when I changed gen oil.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)